PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

psychpipes

Can't Leave
Sep 4, 2013
Nature Coast of Florida
Hey Gents,
Recently got some Escudo to try. I bought three tins. Two to put away and one to taste. I haven't tried it before, but I figured it would be an easy trade or sell if I let them age a few years. I've never smoked a coin before, and am not really sure what works the best with this type. I had once tried Mac Baren Navy Flake, but never could find a method that was working for me.
How do you all like to prepare Escudo? Rubbing it out, Fold and stuff, cutting it? What are some tips for each method? I really want to make sure I give the "King of Va/Per's" a good shot.
Thanks

lucky695

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 2, 2013
well you have enough coins there to try it pretty much any which way. I like the fold and stuff as much as breaking it up... up to you... ENJOY...Love the Escudo!

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
I use the fold n' stuff method almost exclusively, except of course on broken flakes and ready rubbed flakes. On Escudo sized coins, I simply put two coins together, fold from top to bottom, then side to side. I also do as Cortez does, I'll kinda twist them about, after I've folded them, to fray the tobacco out much like rubbing out does.

With the smaller Mac Baren sized coins, it may take three to five coins and I usually only fold them over once then twist them up.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
A smoke with folded coins must take like 2 hours to finish the bowl. 8O
I'm still trying to get the fold and stuff method to work for me. So far I'm still having trouble keeping it lit.

teufelhund

Lifer
Mar 5, 2013
St. Louis, MO
I sort of fold it in half and try to twist it and shove it in my pipe. I think it roughs it up enough that it catches a light easier. Mind I still insert it round side down. Best of luck, but explore and have fun while you're at it. Happy smoking. :puffy:

oldtoby

Dec 7, 2011
Coins, like flakes, are a way of processing tobacco so the ingredients marry better. I get the most enjoyment from rubbing them out completely. Of course many will disagree, but that's ok too. :wink:

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
I agree with ya OldToby.
We'll fight off the non believers.
Shuuuuun!
*10 internet points if you get the reference, I laid it on pretty thick*

OldToby is correct. However, by leaving the flake in tact you have a more dense tobacco, like wood in comparison to kindling. It makes the tobacco burn slower. Some say it also makes it burn cooler. I've folded and stuffed larger more rectangular flakes, like FVF. But, I personally didn't find it more enjoyable. Others may differ, and who am I to argue. Try it, or not...

bryanf

Jul 16, 2013
I rub them out just a little. They pretty much fall apart when you stuff them anyways.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
Charlieeeee........ lets go to Candy Mountain!
I like my coins folded in half. I use a bigger bowl, and get two or three in side by side.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
I've been smoking Three Nuns lately, I find that it smokes well if I loosely stack the coins and then put some pieces on top to aid getting it lit. This works best if the diameter of the bowl is close to that of the coins. Otherwise, rubbing seems to work better than folding, because the coins are packed very densely.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Psych:
What have we learned here?
Some like the flakes folded and some like them stuffed.
This hobby of ours is all about personal preference.
Fnord

craig94yj

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 24, 2013
Waterford, Ct
I fold and stuff depending on how deep my bowl is and finish it off with some scraps of broken from the tin to help get it going. Fnord said it best. Keep trying something different until it works for you.

monsterbear

Lurker
Mar 4, 2014
Folding in half works good for me and I can usually smoke them over an hour. The bullseye luxury flake is one I really like. ENJOY the coins bra!

Status
Not open for further replies.