PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
What's the proper/best method to pack broken flake? Is it like packing ribbon-cut? I've just got a tin of Wessex Classic Virginia that I want to smoke in my brand new Vauen Quixx with its tiny bowl, and I don't want to make packing mistakes this time.
Thanks in advance.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I just stuff it in the bowl for a loose fit and let it sit a few minutes in my hand, which warms the bowl and dissipates some of the moisture from the broken flake. Then smoke normally.

B18

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 27, 2015
I rub out a bit for the bottom, than take the broken flake and arrange them parallel to the bowl and stuf it in (not to tight, as it can expand and close the airflow when burned). Than sprinkle the tobacco dust of the rubbed tobacco on top.

Depending on how compressed the broken flake is, i would twist the arranged broken flake to open it up.

jazz

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 17, 2014
UK
For me, it depends on how broken it is. I'm used to the Rattray's Virginias like Brown Clunee and Hal O' the Wynd and I just stuff those as it comes like a ribbon cut. Maybe I pack them a little lighter.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I recently opened a tin of GL Pease's Jack Knife Ready Rubbed and was surprised to find -- not ribbons -- but broken flake. It got me to wondering if this was scrap from the plug production, thus put to good use. Rubbing it out more thoroughly was an unexpected bother, but it beats cutting plug.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I dry it well, then place the flakes in vertically, and tamp down hard. If dry enough, it doesn't mass up and block the airflow. Sometimes rub out, then dry, then load.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
For me, it depends on how broken it is.

This is what it looks like. Seems to me like coarse ribbons, but there are some flake-y chunks in there.
Wessex_broken_flake-01.jpg

Wessex_broken_flake-02.jpg

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I never rub out a flake as to me it defeats the purpose of smoking a flake, for me. For a broken flake like you are talking about I just load up the bowl and keep filling it until I get a certain amount of resistance. I want it to feel like I am sucking a milkshake (not a very thick frappe) through a straw. This will give you a nice cool smoke. It you pack too loosely you will get a hot smoke which sucks.
I will either cube cut my flakes into large cubes, or I will fold and stuff. This way you get a slow burning cool smoke. If you fold and stuff, you need to make sure you leave room for expansion. I don't look for the same resistance of a cube cut to a fold and stuff. I mostly fold and stuff when I smoke outside. The reason being is that wind can make your pipe smoke faster than you want. When you fold and stuff outside it burns slower and cooler.
You really need to be careful of how much wind there is when smoking outside. You can get a burn out quite quickly outside in a strong wind.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Sort of the same drill with krumble cake, no? I rub it out but just enough to get the pieces separated and then pack it full but not too tight, so you get a draw. Sometimes you can keep it going with a little judicious tamping with just one light, if you're in the zone.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I have taken to insulating some flakes and bits of flakes with puffy bits of Five Brothers. It gets the kindling lit.

theloniousmonkfish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2017
All my tobacco gets dried to where it's crumbly but not dusty. With flakes, broken/intact/in between, I grab what looks like enough, gingerly ball up with my fingers and shove in the chamber. I smoke outside so no kindling required, if the wind doesn't blow out the match it's the only one I'll need.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Speaking of flakes... Do ya'll have a problem with the flakes that used to come in the rectangle tins that are now packaged in round tins? I have the damndest time separating the flakes now as they all stick together in one large chunk and by the time I get them all seperated it's more of a broken flake than the pristine flakes they used to be in the rectangle tins. Really chaps my hide, it makes the fold and stuff method a lot more challenging. Harris, this may be a new thing for you as I think you disappeared before they did the ol' switcheroo.

Status
Not open for further replies.