PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Excellent video. I'd simply add there are variables within variables with all these cuts. Some are thicker or thinner. Moisture level can change everything, perhaps the most important thing to understand starting out. Let the tobacco dry more than you think would be correct. It comes down to feel which one develops with practice. Error on the side of too loose versus to tight. It isn't rocket science, it just takes time and practice.

donjgiles

Lifer
Apr 14, 2018
I smoke mostly flakes, I use scissors to cut small to medium sized chunks. Leave it in a baggie and smoke as needed, I find day 4 or 5 is the best behaved smoke, most flavor, humidity wise. I live in Pennsylvania for what that is worth.
I put my pipe into the baggie, dump the cubed tobacco into the pipe until full, I then smack/tap the side of the pipe to settle the tobacco and grab a small pinch and rub out the top into a finer ribbonchunk for an easier light.

Don

judcasper

Can't Leave
Jan 9, 2019
I've seen that many methods that I gave up trying to find the 'correct' one. Now I just stuff it in there until it's level with the rim. If there's too much air on the test draw I tamp and pack more.
Works for me.

Jan 8, 2013
Great video Embers. That will surely help a lot of new pipe smokers. Nicely done.
Yes indeed. I remember when you first posted that video. It's simple and to the point. You can go on Youtube and find a video on packing a pipe, and someone will take 15 minutes to explain to you how to pack ribbon cut tobacco into your pipe as though it's some lost arcane, magical science or some such. It's really not. Part of the problem with new smokers is spending too much time trying to get that three step method down just right. Well, it's unnecessary, often resulting in too tight a pack. Someone gets that wrong a few times, they decide it's not for them, and try another packing method. The "Swirl Method" (Cant remember the actual name... the one where you put the tobacco in your palm and rub the pipe against your palm in circles until it loads up all the tobacco... also unnesessary, often resulting in too tight a pack. Then there's the one where you pack the bowl and run your thumbs around the edge of the chamber slightly pushing down.... unnecessary. Rolling your tobacco into a ball and pressing that down into the chamber... might as well use a ram rod while your at it as if your loading a muzzle loading rifle. Also unnecessary. I just load the tobacco into the bowl until it's full, push down lightly (you get the feel of it) and light it up. With flakes, Duane (Embers) explains that perfectly too. The hardest part about flakes is making sure you have the right amount for your chamber size. Sometimes you need to strip off a little piece, or use one and a half flakes or etc., etc., They expand... just learn how much you need, and you're good to go. Cubes... yeah. Like he said. Gravity feed them, tap the bowl to settle them, leave room at the top. Some people are too busy trying to make themselves sound like a great professor of pipe smoking instead of keeping it simple. Simple works just fine.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
I used the swirl method (roll-on-hand) to-day but ended up with a very tight pack that required constant relights. I guess that method works for pipes with a wider draught.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I've seen that many methods that I gave up trying to find the 'correct' one. Now I just stuff it in there until it's level with the rim. If there's too much air on the test draw I tamp and pack more.
Works for me.
Same, at least for shag, ready rubbed and ribbon. Other cuts take more prep and drying time. But if it's dry enough it'll smoke fine with most any method of loading.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
started out with 3 step method. then it became 2 step. then 4 step. now i don't count the steps. just pack light/loose. drying is little harder. but around here, about 20-30 min seems to work for most. dried 15 min, pack and forgot to smoke it till hours later today. little too dry for me. i usually pinch the tobacco to see how dry it is. if it feels too cool, usually dry little more.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Ribbon and shag cuts - codger scoop from a pouch or tub, pluck some from a tin and gradually fill - lighter pack on the bottom and denser on the top

Flakes and/or plugs - cube cut or rub out, let dry to the proper moisture level, gravity feed with a bit of tapping light tamp or two.
I don't do anything fancy like the Frank method. No need to. Sorry Frank.

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
Sablebrush52 is right about varying the packing method to the cut. I'll also say that you need to consider the moisture level of the tobacco, too, especially with respect to how tight you pack.
Honestly, it takes quite awhile to get the feel of what works best for you. It seems harder than it should at the start, then after a time you wonder why you found it so confounding. Yet, you'll likely continue to experiment and learn. Fred Hanna showed me his airpocket method last weekend. I was shocked at how tight the pack was. I've been experimenting with it in the couple of days since and whaddya know? It works.
If forced to say what my standard technique is, though, I'd say fold'n'stuff with a nicely dried flake tobacco. A tiny bit harder to get lit, but burns beautifully from there on.

judcasper

Can't Leave
Jan 9, 2019
^^ I am not mature enough to handle that comment
:lol:
Same, at least for shag, ready rubbed and ribbon.
Yes, I should have mentioned something along these lines. At this stage in my journey I'm still struggling quite a lot with anything that isn't one of the above.

Status
Not open for further replies.