How to make pre-set carbon layer on pipe making?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
If I were you I would avoid precarbing. Most guys nowadays prefer a clean briar bowl to work with and after a couple of bowls the inside is scorched anyway. I love the taste and the process of breaking in a bare briar bowl. This isn't an answer to your question though. I make pipes and leave my bowls bare.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I don't sand out the pre-carb on my new pipes, but when I buy one with no pre-carb i consider it a special treat.

My favorite carver never pre-carbs anything, and when I broke for a Ser Jacopo blast Dublin, I was pleased when

it arrived with no pre-carb, and there is absolutely no problem breaking in pipes without pre-carb. I don't

understand the standardization of pre-carbing pipes. It adds a little to the price, no doubt, and does nothing

that I can detect to the smoke. It's a great puzzle of the pipe carving and manufacturing community. Why?

darwin

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 9, 2014
It may not be fair but bowl coatings always make me think a pipe maker has something to hide.

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
Eric,
Don't sweat the bowl coating right now- I talked to a guy who is considered by many to be one of the top 5 carvers in the country and he uses a bowl coating mainly because it saves time he would otherwise have to spend sanding the inside of the bowl…and the pipes look more finished in photographs…
At this point in your progress- learn to sand the bowl….
..and as been mentioned before- go on Pipemakers Forum and you will find endlessly detailed answers to these questions….and many more….

Status
Not open for further replies.