Tags:  No tags yet. 

How to live longer...

(53 posts)
  • Started 6 months ago by economistandfisherman
  • Latest reply from mechanic
  1. economistandfisherman

economistandfisherman

Login to Send PM

Okay everyone! Here is something out of my local paper (online of course) about living longer...add pipe smoking to the mix and you'll live to you're 100+ !!!

"People who drink moderate amounts of alcohol or coffee and are overweight in their 70s live longer lives, according to researchers at UC Irvine Institute for Memory Impairments and Neurological Disorders.

The researchers started a study in 2003 to look at what makes people live past 90.

They say participants in their study who drank moderate amounts of alcohol or coffee lived longer than those who abstained from either drink.

In addition, people who were overweight in their 70s lived longer than people who were normal or underweight in their 70s."

“It is not from the benevolence of the butcher, the brewer, or the baker that we expect our dinner, but from their regard to their own interest”
    Adam Smith
    Posted 6 months ago #
  2. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If I can't eat what I want, drink what I want and smoke what I want, why would I want to live longer?

Ubi Ignis Est?
    Posted 6 months ago #
  3. chasingembers

Embers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

If I can't eat what I want, drink what I want and smoke what I want, why would I want to live longer?

Amen

A short satisfying life beats the Hell out of a long bland one.

Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you.
    -Edward Teach
    Posted 6 months ago #
  4. economistandfisherman

economistandfisherman

Login to Send PM

When a reporter asked someone in New Orleans why they have some of the shortest lifespans in the US, he responded that actually, they don't...they have some of the longest lifespans when you consider they only get 2 hours of sleep per night!

Posted 6 months ago #
  5. scloyd

scloyd

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Does anyone really want to live to 100+?

Posted 6 months ago #
  6. economistandfisherman

economistandfisherman

Login to Send PM

I do! Especially if I'm doing what I want the entire time

Posted 6 months ago #
  7. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

Not I. I'm already seeing too many things I loved growing up disappearing. If I live that long, I'll likely see the rest of it gone as well.

Posted 6 months ago #
  8. 3rdguy

3rdguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Time to cellar!

Posted 6 months ago #
  9. blackadderlxx

blackadderlxx

Login to Send PM

Dear God i hope not...

Posted 6 months ago #
  10. ray47

ray47

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've always said, "I'm going out happy".

Posted 6 months ago #
  11. unadoptedlamp

unadoptedlamp

Login to Send PM

I'll be kicking around past 100 if I have anything to say about it. Can't imagine all of the beauty and the horror that is in that time. I'd cut my head off and stick it on a robot if I could.

I figure, by that time, they've got both the cure for cancer and the robot head thing nailed down. It's a good time to give it a shot...

And, if you still have your head, the pipe works, yes? See, you can't lose.

Posted 6 months ago #
  12. olkofri

Olkofri

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Not I. I'm already seeing too many things I loved growing up disappearing. If I live that long, I'll likely see the rest of it gone as well.

Same here.

I already envy the dead.

Not the sweet, new grass with flowers is this harvesting of mine;
    Not the upland clover bloom...
    Posted 6 months ago #
  13. unadoptedlamp

unadoptedlamp

Login to Send PM

Mercy.

Load a bowl of one of your favourites guys!

Posted 6 months ago #
  14. brian64

brian64

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I figure, by that time, they've got both the cure for cancer and the robot head thing nailed down.

Both are probably nailed down already...or very nearly. But we the profane masses will not be given access...we've just been kept around to pay for it all.

So eat, drink and be merry, for tomorrow...

“Bipartisan usually means some larger-than-usual deception is being carried out.” – George Carlin
    Posted 6 months ago #
  15. folanator

folanator

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

So wait..there's a hidden cure for cancer and fat people live longer? I learn more every day. lol

Posted 6 months ago #
  16. philobeddoe

Philo Beddoe

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I’ll sign up for immortality if it becomes an option, I want to ride it out and see it all.

"So it goes." - K.V.
    Posted 6 months ago #
  17. unadoptedlamp

unadoptedlamp

Login to Send PM

Philo- There's an optimist! I don't see why anyone wouldn't go for immortality. You can always pull the plug.

I think our robot overlords may be close to that one. I'm only assuming that some of the technology leaders are already robots.

And if cancer is cured, there's not much reason to ban tobacco anymore. Could be a true renascence in pipe tobacco still ahead for us.

Posted 6 months ago #
  18. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I read this and realize how lucky I have been not to have loved "things". I've lost the usual family as I've aged, people I've loved but, I've gained a grandson and some wonderful memories. So, I'll just take life as it comes at me.

So, eat, drink and be merry for tomorrow is yet another day to enjoy and do battle with. There are simply too many exciting unknowns, challenges ahead that I really wouldn't like to miss. I do like a good challenge. I start my day with the challenge of simply getting my right sock on, fighting the arthritis. That done .. well, off to the next. It's what my life is and I love every breathing minute of it. There is so much yet to learn and experience.

I do pity those ready to die, nothing left worth living for, writing off the last years. I hope I never lose the gusto and my zest for life! I will not go quietly into that ...

A man without a shillelagh is a man without an expedient.
    Posted 6 months ago #
  19. weezell

weezell

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I start my day with the challenge of simply getting my right sock on, fighting the arthritis.
    YES! I trimmed my toenails today. I will not go quietly in to the abyss...

"the weez"...
    Posted 6 months ago #
  20. brian64

brian64

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Putting on socks is a task best not attempted in an un-caffeinated state.

Posted 6 months ago #
  21. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

I switched from laceups to pull on boots. Saves time and less pain.

Posted 6 months ago #
  22. timt

timt

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Merrell jungle mocs - step right into them. I wear them practically every day. An old pair that I prefer and a newer pair for church and impressing people.

Tim
    Posted 6 months ago #
  23. workman

workman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I like Warren's approach. To envy the dead seems meaningless, as the dead aren't. They're gone nowhere. The way my life is right now with toddlers and to little sleep and never any time for anything, Death really isn't an option. Some day, maybe, well probably. A good friend of mine died at 26, another at 46, another at 96, they all lived meaningfull lives untill they didn't.

Smoking is one of the leading causes of all statistics.
    Posted 6 months ago #
  24. prairiedruid

prairiedruid

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I start my day with the challenge of simply getting my right sock on

Socks stay on until the holes get too big then they become leg warmers;then a new pair of socks go on.

Posted 6 months ago #
  25. trouttimes

trouttimes

Login to Send PM

I think that people who eat healthy, exercise a lot, don't smoke and don't drink don't really live longer, life is sooooo boreing that it seems longer.

“The Road goes ever on and on Down from the door where it began.
    Now far ahead the Road has gone, I must follow if I can
    Posted 6 months ago #
  26. olkofri

Olkofri

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I too like Warren's approach in the aspect that he doesn't love 'things'. Beyond that, his approach ceases to work for a number of us. I won't criticise him, though, as I don't carry his burdens, so I can't really know how hard it is for him. Likewise, he or anyone else doesn't carry mine, so what the trout do they know that they feel they can pity me?

The thing is, issues like these are not only determined by individual struggles or lack thereof, but the approach we take depends a lot on our beliefs. If someone's a materialist, then it's understandable their fervent desire to stay in this world for as long as they can—rejuvenation treatments, wellness obsessions, trans-humanism, man-made immortality... bring them on! For once we die we just vanish...

There are those who believe in themselves, and that 'life is what YOU make it'. BS. As long as the world is shared with people, any of whom can be potential actors, even without knowing it, in your success or failure, life is not what you make it. Your best effort increases your chances of success, but never guarantees it. Even those who touted onscreen the mantra of 'no fate but what we make for ourselves' made a third movie to shew that the mantra is BS. Remember the definition of failure: when your best ain't good enough.

I'm neither a materialist nor a devotee of the American Dream.

Nor am I a pessimist, even if I seem to be at first glance. I know and declare that there's goodness in the world; alas, I also see that goodness is also being consistently eradicated through materialism, obsession with technology, government control, all kinds of politics, and much more, all in the name of a 'better world'. I've seen all "the taxing drudgeries that continually despoil all transcendence from existence until it can no longer be called life"; the subduing of people "by means of a pragmatic education and mechanical labour into the damnatory folly that lies under a glamorous pretence of wisdom and a factitious image of happiness"; and the "eldritch veil that obscures Truth, that replaces Beauty with a blasphemous idol, that makes of Love a trifle".

And, yea, I know where the dead go, and so I must correct my previous statement in the light of it, and I now say that I don't envy all the dead: only those precious few who die in God's pleasure, the ones who really get to RIP. I don't envy those who end up in the centre of the Earth for an eternity of suffering.

But alas, issues of life and death are inseparable from the realm of beliefs, i.e. religion; try as we might to veer the talk of them as far away from theology, we'll inevitably end up there. Which will inevitably get threads closed. (Which probably wouldn't be too bad a thing, as it would prevent further patronising.)

Posted 6 months ago #
  27. workman

workman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I did not mean to patronize you, olkofri. Well, maybe I did, but that was because your comment made little sense to me. I see now that it does make sense, and the fact that we do not share beliefs is the reason for my misunderstanding. I apologise.

Posted 6 months ago #
  28. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've not tried to figure out the "meaning of life", I'm just enjoying the ride while it lasts. Even some of more tragic things I've seen or been involved in were learning moments. But, by and large, life has been good to me. My expectations for my fellow humans have always been reasonably low so no real disappointments there. Hell, having low expectations means I'm sometimes favorably impressed by some of my fellow beings. I do prefer the company of my dog though. Any dog actually.

I just think life is a hell of a ride, better than anything Disney has come up with. I'd stand in line and purchase another ticket if that was/is possible.

Posted 6 months ago #
  29. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

"Meaning of life"..... be kind, don't be an asshole, be a friend, be a mentor and enjoy the ride

Posted 6 months ago #
  30. trouttimes

trouttimes

Login to Send PM

If we are going deep...in life we have choices. Most choices we make on our own but some are forced on us. Some people are able to rise to the call, some aren't or won't. I think that determines the quality of the man. Sometimes we must do hard things, things that some may say is bad. But in the end when we stand and are weighed, the best we can hope is the good marks outweigh the bad. Hopefully most people get to go thru life enjoying the "lighter side" and are never tested. Many never even recognize the battle of good and evil that is constantly going on throughout the world and that is probably for the best. If you are called, GOD help you to be strong and meet the need. The rest, enjoy what is bought and protected by the sacrifices of the few. Bless those who give their all for us. Our freedom, our lifestyle, our comforts are not free, are not a right and are not guaranteed forever.

Posted 6 months ago #
  31. papipeguy

papipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I always thought that the key to a long life was 2 little words: "Yes, dear".

Blowin' smoke since 1970.
    Posted 6 months ago #
  32. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Well said Trouttimes.

Posted 6 months ago #
  33. economistandfisherman

economistandfisherman

Login to Send PM

I’ll sign up for immortality if it becomes an option, I want to ride it out and see it all.

hear! hear!

Posted 6 months ago #
  34. economistandfisherman

economistandfisherman

Login to Send PM

I switched from laceups to pull on boots. Saves time and less pain.

They say Einstein had 7 sets of brown suits (don't know if its true or not) so he didn't have to stress himself deciding what to wear each day...and in the case of this thread, shorten his life. My cat wears the same fur everyday, but probably won't live past 13 or so...whatever the hell that means

Posted 6 months ago #
  35. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

Didn't mean less stress just less physical pain. Laces are hell on arthritic fingers.

Posted 6 months ago #
  36. madox07

madox07

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I don't know guys ... I looked death in the eye a couple of times, and I was faced with loosing people close to me quite a lot. We have some shitty ways to go out now days, so my take on it is that quality of life matters more than the number of years. I may change my mind on the subject as I get closer to my retirement, but for now ... Funny thing is that the way we go out and when we go out doesn't depend on us, so live a quality life every day. What does that mean? Well, each individual gives meaning to that, according to what he/she considers contempt to be.

Sea Wolf Pipers

"Like the mariners of old, a loner is acceptable but a pipe is best enjoyed in a pack"
    Posted 6 months ago #
  37. User has not uploaded an avatar

sopsac

Login to Send PM

I look forward to the day when I am old and wise enough to add something of value to a thread like this.

Posted 6 months ago #
  38. scloyd

scloyd

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If I'm somewhat active, still have my mind, able to take care of myself and still enjoy life...yes.
    If I'm in a nursing home sitting in diapers staring out the window without the ability to process any thoughts or ideas...absolutely not.

Posted 6 months ago #
  39. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If I'm in a nursing home sitting in diapers staring out the window without the ability to process any thoughts or ideas...absolutely not.

Sadly, if you reach the above stage, you'll be totally unaware of any options and thus not sentient of your condition as compared to what it was in the past. So, you'll do just fine in that state blissfully unaware of your physical and mental state.

Posted 6 months ago #
  40. npod

npod

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Neal
    Posted 6 months ago #
  41. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm sure glad I got here. I wouldn't mind another decade or two, or even a little dividend beyond that, if I am alert and interested. It's true that helping others is an elixir, not just a sappy notion to win sympathy. Making things good for others resonates back and gives living rich dimensions. I've got the coffee and adult beverages covered.

Posted 6 months ago #
  42. seldom

seldom

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

What an interesting post. Excellent to read that fat and drunk people in their 70s and beyond live longer! Excellent. Perhaps when/if I reach 70 I'll start each day with an Irish coffee. I've already reached an agreement with my wife that once the kids are grown, and when/if I've reached old age, I can drink my fill, get fat, and grow my beard down to my belly button. I may not go quietly into that good night; with a lot of luck I'll be loudly belching and laughing my way to eternity.

Seldom Seen
    Posted 5 months ago #
  43. saltedplug

saltedplug

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

In the end death takes everything from you, and before that old age can take almost as much, as health and loved one disappear. Even so we harbor what would seem to be an insane desire to go on. But if one finds inner joy, it can be constant, which transforms everything, including life's losses.

Posted 5 months ago #
  44. davet

davet

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

"Meaning of life"..... be kind, don't be an asshole, be a friend, be a mentor and enjoy the ride

...and use your turn signal

Posted 5 months ago #
  45. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My wife says that I have already lived too long.

Michael
    Posted 5 months ago #
  46. pappymac

pappymac

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Live to 100? As someone who has known people to live until their mid-90s and still had sharp minds and good mobility, I have come to believe that quality of life is more important than age. If I could still be as mentally and physically agile as the ones I've known, then I would look forward to watching my grandkids grow.

But my attitude has always been I want to live as long as it's fun. Take all the pleasures I enjoy away from me and I would have nothing to look forward to during the day. If I can't read, smoke my pipe, have an occasional alcoholic beverage, find something to laugh about, then I'm not sure I would be "alive" anyway. Without those I would just be a biological mass existing without reason.

I am glad we have a good admin and responsible moderators.

Heave to you dark colored ship under sail! Prepare to be boarded!
    Posted 5 months ago #
  47. tbradsim1

tbradsim1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

75, never thought I’d make it this far.

The Old Cajun
    Posted 5 months ago #
  48. mawnansmiff

mawnansmiff

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I just read that the third biggest killer in American hospitals is medical ineptitude on behalf of the staff

That puts a lot of things in perspective.

Regards,

Julian.

...take up thy stethoscope and walk...
    Posted 5 months ago #
  49. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

As long as I'm learning I'm good. Whether it's a new language, a riff on the guitar, seeing the world through my grandson's four year old eyes, solving the world's problems while enjoying a morning coffee with a couple of other old codgers, as long as I'm sentient ... I'm gonna wanna stick around. If I'm no longer sentient ... I won't care one way or the other. Certain physical debilities dictate limits I don't like but, I can handle that. I can compensate with what I think is still a hungry, agile mind.

Posted 5 months ago #
  50. paulie66scandinavian

Paul

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Shall I say,Its all in hands of our Creator due to the dubious job of mine in funeral business I'm involved in deaths almost on a daily basis,and yes as for now at the age of full 52 and after seeing all these deaths and presumable reasons which have lead to them ,I'm starting to cherish life as it is, We don't live forever, so take care of Yourself and Yer beloved ones,

Paul The Scandinavian'
    Posted 5 months ago #
  51. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I had lunch with a good friend yesterday who said that he is cutting out every "vice" he has. He's cutting out hard liquor, cigars, fatty foods and whatever else he seems a vice. He's had friends and colleagues die around him and wants to live a very good retirement when he pulls the pin on work in three years.

So we discussed "lifestyle" vs "shit happens".

We have both seen our share of death and destruction.

We have both seen life snuffed out that had nothing to do with "lifestyle".

The discussion ended with him resolving to eat and live better and me ordering another glass of Jamesons.

Time will tell.

Posted 5 months ago #
  52. User has not uploaded an avatar

piper64

Login to Send PM

The way my lucks going if there is reincarnation I'll come back as me

Faugh a Ballagh
    Posted 5 months ago #
  53. mechanic

mechanic

Login to Send PM

Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, more money

"I'm a kind person, I'm kind to everyone, but if you are unkind to me, then kindness is not what you will remember me for." - Al Capone
    Posted 5 months ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   jojoc, chasingembers, craig61a, donjgiles, mindglue, jfred, jabomano, oldgeezersmoker, mikethompson, greeneyes, jravenwood