PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

maxx

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 10, 2015
How does a pipe that's broken in differ to one that isn't? How can I know that a new pipe has become broken in?

wilson

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2013
Pretty much, once you've formed a little cake it is broken-in in my book. Probably in the neighborhood of a dozen smokes? Mostly, I just get to the point where I stop thinking about the pipe as brand new. Others may disagree -- some have much more refined palates and may taste things with a new pipe that I simply don't.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
It's broken in when you stop tasting burning wood in your burning tobacco.
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain
Or the oil in an oil cured bowl, which can be quite nasty when you get near the heel. It usually goes away with 5-6 bowls.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I minimize cake to just a carbon layer, but when a pipe is thoroughly coated, there is a smoothness in its lighting and draw that is unmistakable. It's subtle, but you can tell. A few of my pipes have taken a year or more to completely break in, but when they get there, it's evident. I have a rusticated Peterson slightly bent author where that was true, and an artisanal ball. But they've finally arrived. Most pipes I think it's about twelve to twenty smokes.

Status
Not open for further replies.