PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bulletsnbriars

Can't Leave
Nov 9, 2013
Nashville/Williston
Hey guys,
I live a very busy life and when I'm jot working I'm frequently driving, meaning sometimes the car is the only place I can really get a bowl in. I'm mot an aro fan; I like strong blends, burley flakes, twists, plugs, and the car is starting to smell a little stale.
What tricks do you guys use to get the old musty smoke smell out?
Thanks,

BnB

CherokeeBilly

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 31, 2014
Granbury, TX
A car dealer taught me a trick. If you smoke with the AC on turn off the recirculation. If that doesn't work turn on recirculation and spray Lysol down at the floorboards up under the dash and let the AC take it in and kill the smells inside the filters in the system. Worked like a champ in my car.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
Two words: Febreze spray. Applied to the headliner, visors, upholstery, carpet, and into the AC vent outlets, I find that it does the trick.
Also, avoid the temptation to eat chili-cheese burritos for lunch when taking long trips. :D

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
An ozone generator will clean out the aroma quite well, just don't run it while you are in the car. If you enjoy building stuff, you can find everything that you need for a 12v ozone generator on eBay. Be sure to have the ventilation system running when the generator is running.
In addition, you may want to look into running an Orgone Generator. But that's another issue.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
For a more natural solution, try an open bag of coffee beans left in the car overnight.
Also, sprinkle baking soda on any dry fabric surfaces and then vacuum out the next day.
Change out your cabin filters more often than usual.
If you go the Febreze route, they have one called "Clean Auto" that works pretty well.

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
As a car dealer I can tell you things like the AC trick and Febreze don't cut it. That isn't to say they don't work at all or that you shouldn't do them just to help the overall issue but they will not fool a non smoker with virgin nostrils if you are regularly lighting up in a vehicle. I agree with woodsroad that a ozone generator and to a lesser extent Ozium spray will help significantly. An old detailer's trick is to leave a bowl full of white vinegar in the car for a day and then remove it being careful not to spill it. Other than that a twice a year detail by a professional with an industrial fabric extractor is the best thing. Oddly enough, smoke isn't the worst smell in terms of lingering. I have seen some pretty smokey cars that you wouldn't know it after our guys gets finished. Wet dog on the other hand never seems to fully come out.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
One can argue whether ozone is more or less natural than Febreze (which is quite interesting in the way that it works: Basically a donut-shaped carb that traps odor molecules), but I think that the ultimate answer isn't natural.
It's supernatural.
shintocar-400x300.jpg

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Lol ... that's definitely the ultimate deodorizing technique! :)
We have a R/O water system at work for the chemistry analyzers.

Every night at 10:00 that thing fires up a special 10 minute cycle and smells like ozone for awhile.

It's an interesting smell and does help to fumigate the microbiology incubator smells from my nose! 8O

saint007

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 22, 2013
I would think an attractive well-built younger woman wearing Versace perfume riding next to me would work. :wink:

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Cobguy, your a micro tech? Both my parents were hospital lab techs, and I worked summers, nights and weekends there through college. I can still smell those plates cooking in the autoclave. I'll bet that cleaning cycle is an ozone flush to keep the slime from building up.

Status
Not open for further replies.