PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tristram76

Lurker
Feb 19, 2015
Hi everyone!

I'm new in this forum as in the pipe's world (I started smoking them the last year).
I really love canadian pipes (specially peterson's ones).

A few days ago, a british seller proposed me a box of 2 sasieni pipes (that you can see in the picture), but they are really similar to 3 gbd pipes that I had previously acquired by him.

Then, the doubt: are they genuine sasieni?

I'm not able to give an answer: can You help me?
Thank You,

marco
wp_20150217_001-336x600.jpg

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Marco: Welcome to the forum! There are a number of Sasieni fans here, I'm in that group. Most of those pipes are in the "British Pipes" area:

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/forum/british-pipes
Correctly identifying and dating any vintage pipe is all about the nomenclature (stamping). I would need to see a close up of the stamping and stem dots to give you a determination. I can tell you that it is unlikely to encounter a forged Sasieni, the money just wouldn't be there to go to that kind of effort.
But, the nomenclature will tell you in those are of an older more desirable era and give you a value range. Sasieni's come in three eras:
Patent number/fish tail logo: pre-1946. These have a distinctive logo for the Sasieni name. These are the most desirable.
Pre-Transition: These were made from '46 to '79 and are also highly desirable. These use the words: Four Dot, the stem dots are of a smaller size and town names were used for the shapes ie, "Ashford".
There are Eight Dot and single dot pipes, those are quite valuable.
Post Transition: These are the least desirable and made after '79 to the present. These are stamped "4 Dot" and the stem dots are larger in size. All of my Sasieni pipes are in this era and you can read about new acquisitions in the British Pipes section. Two Dot pipes were a step down from a Four Dot in quality.
This web article is also helpful in recognizing the various eras:

http://murderofravens.org/my-sasieni-pipe-article/
Post a shot of the nomenclature so we can be of more help.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Markings, shape numbers and finish will tell the story.
http://www.pipephil.eu/logos/en/logo-sasieni.html
http://www.pipephil.eu/logos/en/logo-sasieni2.html

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
If the top pipe is a "Rustic", then I would think the likelihood of a counterfeit is nil. Photos of the nomenclature would allow us to give a better assessment of the pipes.

tristram76

Lurker
Feb 19, 2015
I thank you all for your quick and precious answers.
I asked to the seller for more detailed pics and informations.

I will keep you aware ;-)
Meanwhile...

thank you again and have a nice smoke!

m.

tristram76

Lurker
Feb 19, 2015
how it ends
hi all,

sorry for the long absence from the forum.
The history ends with the seller annoyed by my requests: no more answers neither photos!
thank you all for your help,

m

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
When a seller is uncooperative with a simple and basic request for information regarding his offering it is wise to walk away. Whether the pipes were genuine or not, there are other factors, such as condition, which play a role equal to nomenclature in determining value. There will be other opportunities. Sasienis aren't rare.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
There will be other opportunities
Everything Sablebrush52 said up above is true. But this quote is the truthiest.
Folks often *cough*always*cough* forget that there will be more pipes.
Hell, I get caught up in the excitement of seeing a long sought after pipe pop on my radar screen, I've even bought pipes when I _absolutely_should_not_ have. I may (I will never admit to this) have purchased pipes on auction while in the recovery room after the birth of my daughter while she and my wife were sleeping. (I was celebrating!)
But there will always be another pipe.
If you have a choice between food or a pipe, choose food.
If you have a choice between heat/power/water or a pipe, choose the utility.
If you have a choice between a spouse or a pipe... Well, truth be told, that's up to you, because there will always be another *ahem* pipe.
There will always be another pipe.
You might have to wait a _long_ass_time_ to find it, but there will always be another pipe.
-- Pat

owen

Part of the Furniture Now
May 28, 2014
Is there always another pipe? Why didn't anyone tell me?

Status
Not open for further replies.