PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

samon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 23, 2015
How do you bend these things without turning the cheese stems into bubbley stinkers? lol
I've used a lighter at a distance but it always seems to burn it and cause bubbles to form..

Heat gun?.. don't have one..
Any thoughts?

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I put a pipe cleaner through them to keep the airway from collapsing, and hold it a few inches above the flame of a butane lighter while rotating it. Only takes a few seconds.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Here's an egg I curved a replacement stem on using that very method.
http://pipesmagazine.com/members/chasingembers/album/picture/19978

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Great Dane comes with egg bowl?

Don't MM have bent stems?
Let's see, the egg was discontinued some time ago, and MM's bent stems are a bit sharp to me. I like 'em curved.

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
I've bent several stems. I heat a small bowl of water in the microwave oven. Then I place a pipe cleaner in the stem. I set the stem in the hot water for a few seconds and then reshape. If it needs more time, I'll repeat.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
I've bent several stems. I heat a small bowl of water in the microwave oven. Then I place a pipe cleaner in the stem. I set the stem in the hot water for a few seconds and then reshape. If it needs more time, I'll repeat.
Just don't try this with vulcanite. You will see the oxidation form right before your eyes! 8O

pappap

Might Stick Around
Jul 6, 2016
I did that hot water thing and it works great I can custom bend to my comfort, bend and shape stems the way I want them

bryguysc

Can't Leave
Feb 4, 2015
I have partially unbent all of my bent MM stems. I like them to have more of a gentle slope than the sharp bend they put in them.

jabo

Can't Leave
Jan 26, 2016
Always hot water. All mine work great with this method. I always polish vulcanite afterwards. No problems on my end .

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
I only use the Danish amber stems on my cobs and the bent ones take to the hot water treatment quite nice. I wish the Walker Forever stems would be manufactured again. The new company that makes them now is still not up and running.

phxrock

Can't Leave
Aug 18, 2014
I use either a blow dryer or hot water. I also use something round to help with the bend.

randelli

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 21, 2015
I used a lighter just last weekend on this one.
20161008_105255_zpshvjr8sim.jpg

unclescot

Lurker
Sep 12, 2016
I've got a question about some "raw" pipes. I bid on 8 Jimmy Ropp pipes, circa 1960, and got them on eBay for what would be a good price now if they were finished. However, the exteriors are rough bark from whatever tree they came from, not lacquered at all. I am guessing that I am supposed to strip the bark before I sand it and then finish it. My though was to take a 300 grit paper to get it workable, and then take a 600 grit to make it nice and smooth. But I have a couple of questions. Is it going to be natural for them to have some sort of flaw that will need filler, and if so, what do I use and how do I apply it? I have 8 pipes and want to use different colored stains for most, but to finish, do I use carnauba wax? Do I need to put on a couple of layers of stain first? And mainly, how do I strip the bark and maintain the integrity of the wood? They've never been smoked before.
What I want to do is keep 2 and put the rest on eBay. I would like to make them beautiful. Can anyone help?

Status
Not open for further replies.