PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipesmoker99

Lurker
Sep 30, 2017
hi how do i find smoking buddies? unfortunately I have 0 friends in real life. (do NOT feel sorry for me it was of my own doing)
I don't even need pipe smokers but ciggerette smokers would do. (though I smoke tobacco out of a bamboo corncob pipe that I made) i am at a college campus btw. i DO NOT want potheads. Potheads are just giggling idiots. ONLY TOBACCO!
-Thank you for your time
Rule 9- title Capitalized. Thanks, Zack

nevadablue

Lifer
Jun 5, 2017
We are right here.
I smoke in my back yard, the park if/when we are in town and don't worry about company. For me, the pipe is an escape, allowing me to relax and enjoy the surroundings more.

pipesmoker99

Lurker
Sep 30, 2017
its always nice to have a forum but real life smoke buddies would be nice. I need to socialize and have not for years. I have a super busy semester with 0 time to join clubs. The only time i have free is smoke break time.
its just im on a college campus and the majority of people who smoke are idiot potheads.

pipesmoker99

Lurker
Sep 30, 2017
yeah i was stupid. big deal! i had no tobacco and thought smoking bayleaves would be relaxing.
now i know not to do this and i use pipe tobacco.
but lets stay on topic here :)

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Smoking your pipe in the designated smoking areas might trigger some conversation from curious smokers. Last time someone asked me about my pipe, and where I got it, where to get the tobacco, nicotine contents and all. A security guard who happened to be walking by also complimented me on the nice pipe aroma. You never know. Just don't sit or stand there with your nose in your smart phone like so many smokers do and you might strike conversation with people who might become buddies later on.
It all depends on how shy you are and how far you are willing to go beyond your normal comfort zone.
I'm in university too, and I'd definitely recommend checking out some of the student groups/societies. Even if you don't attend all their events, you can make it to one or two during the semester. It'd help you unwind a bit from the pressure of the classes as well. I recommend the groups because you can choose which one to join, whose members have, at least in theory, the same interests and values that you have. This won't necessarily happen at the smoking areas: there, you meet all kinds, and some might not be the kind of people you want to hang around.

pipesmoker99

Lurker
Sep 30, 2017
i literally only have an hour or less to smoke so maybe go to designated smoking areas?
when i meet people should i ask for text numbers?
i am in a college town too
i feel stupid but how do i make sure the person isn't homeless/crazy lol
thanks

pipesmoker99

Lurker
Sep 30, 2017
UPDATE: i realized the campus is smoke free except on the middle of no where parts of campus. i have an hour or less of free time. i can't spend a ton of time travelling.
is this just a pipe dream :D :D :D

First off, I would suggest not being so picky. I value friends that are into different things than me. I don't drink, but I don't mind if my friends drink, friends with different religions, different hobbies, interests, opinions, etc... variety keeps life interesting. Humans are social, and we require it to various degrees. Join a club, join a church, go to a bar, coffeehouse, sign up for an intermural sport, go to a cigar shop, randomly invite someone to a concert, or a movie...
As you get older, it gets even harder. You will work, come home, and get married, and your wife will want you at home, and then kids and carting them about. Then, when the kids are gone... you'll just be an old man setting on the porch smoking. Nothing wrong with that, but... it just gets harder the older you are. Me? I will go do anything for or with anyone that asks (well, maybe not anything, ha ha). My pipe club friends are my favorite peoples. We have a group of about four of us that have been members since started the club, and we try to get together for food or vineyard tours (yep, even a teetotaler like me can find a vineyard interesting). But, there's also church and just old friends that I try to keep in touch with that now are scattered about. But, make as many friends as possible now, so that you will have folks that you can drive across the country to visit and reminisce with, and make new memories with.
Any friend is a good friend, IMO. Even you guys. ,

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
You need to walk around town with your pipe. Let people see you. Don't be shy about smoking. Embrace it! People Will find you. But cigarette smokers are a different breed.

pipesmoker99

Lurker
Sep 30, 2017
My campus is smoke free :(
I have an idea though.
This is probably literally a pipe dream :D :D but what if individuals on here can communicate via pm and arrange to smoke together virtually.
How this would work is individuals would do a skype session while smoking together. They could talk or just simply smoke together.
-Just a thought

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
College years for many were fantastic. If you're so busy that you can't spare time to socialize, perhaps a re-ordering of priorities is in order. Perhaps.
I smoked a pipe in college, but that was over a half century ago.
Good luck!

bluegrasspipe

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2017
Take a deep breath ... relax ... now, take a moment and read the rules regarding grammar.

:rofl:

Many, many rules have been broken..
I agree with them, get out an smoke and you will find others. I always find myself talking to pipe smokers when I see them.

pipesmoker99

Lurker
Sep 30, 2017
the problem is my campus is smoke free so i can't find any smokers :(
their are no pipe clubs at campus :(
i'd be open to just smoking cancer sticks with a buddy :D

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
The few locals that I smoke pipes with became pipe smokers after seeing me with mine. Pick a time and place to smoke, and you may be surprised by what happens.

Jan 8, 2013
Go out and meet people. Don't be afraid to strike up a conversation with someone. If you see someone wearing a concert shirt from a band you like, say you like their shirt. That usually gets a conversation going, and you can take it from there.
Finding pipe smokers out in the wild is akin to finding Bigfoot. Best thing you can do is walk around with your pipe, or go to a bar and smoke your pipe, or just be out in public with your pipe. You might have to make some loud howling type noises and knock some tree branches together.

vokaa

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 7, 2017
I got a great conversation from some random guy about pipes. He took a seat when I was just relaxing, and we talked for hours. Sometimes the best companion for conversation is someone you wouldn't expect. People who see you smoking a pipe are usually intrigued by it, especially if it's a college student.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
'99, this is an interesting question, and you are pretty straightforward with it. Between the genders, women get most of the friendship genes. They gravitate toward groups of women and pick out closer friends from among the ones they meet. Conversation is enough of a starter for them, and they readily follow up to keep friendships going, and feel responsible to maintain the friendships they develop, over time and often over distance. So that's how it's done, but men don't do it, or do it much less. One thing I've noticed is that men bond over activities. I think you have to come in contact with quite a few potential friends to have one work. And you need an activity to share. You probably need to prompt yourself or you'll just let it slide even though you like your friend okay. Wives, girlfriends (sometimes both), jobs and kids will always get priority, so you can't be too needy, and neither can he. I have one friend that goes back to high school, and another back to undergrad college, and one or two from grad school, a schoolmate and a prof. But these are all long-distance and only periodic. If you have one good close friend you will be a lucky man, if two or three, a richly lucky man. Granted, some guys have a real gift for male friends -- these tend to be extroverts who get a lot of energy from lots of people contact. Unfortunately, that's not me, nor most of us. In a few lines of work, friendships with both genders without the presumption of romantic attachments are understood -- academe, some arts communities, and others. Women make great (actual) friends because they already have all of this down cold, but I think people still need some same-gender friends. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.