How to Find Blends That Were Created Before 2007?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
This question has been nagging at me for a little bit. The only way I know how to date a blend is going to tobaccoreviews.com and looking for the earliest reviews. Does anyone have a different method they are using? Is there any other way besides TR to find that info?

whitebar

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 12, 2015
Colorado
On the glpease website he lists the follow as going away. I'd like to see other brands create such lists for us.
Blends produced after 15 March, 2007:

The following blends were introduced after the so-called Deeming Date, and may be subject to the new FDA regulations at some future date.

Embarcadero

Union Square

Maltese Falcon

The Virginia Cream

Key Largo

The entire Old London Series

The entire New World Collection

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I suppose blenders are skittish about listing what is or is not affected. Probably some hope to save specific blends. And people in the industry seem to feel that the information available isn't especially clear nor helpful. Under better circumstances, blenders could list what stays and what goes by name. As it stands, it seems there are gray zones where blenders will try to take up the issue. This will go on for several years or more, and then we'll see what we have. The market for the consumer will certainly look different, and some blends will surface as survivors, and highly desirable, that never got the spotlight before. We hope for the best; what else can we do?

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
There was an older thread similar to this where someone had a link to Tobacco Reviews .com where all the tobacco's were 2007 and older. At least that's what I recall. Maybe I just imagined it or maybe someone else can repost the information.

7ach

Can't Leave
Sep 10, 2013
Its a fun page to play with....

https://web.archive.org/web/20070102065910/http://www.smokingpipes.com/tobacco/tinned/

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Wow, that page was actually from Jan 4 2007? Prices were certainly lower but on some things prices have only gone up a few bucks a tin. It is a good way to see what blends were available before the FDA deadline, thanks for finding that.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I don't know if you can quietly boast or subtly advertise, but if blenders feel certain of particular blends, it wouldn't be a bad pitch. Quietly noting that this is a blend that will remain available. Of course, people may rush to the ones headed off the market. But some consumers might want to get to like blends they can continue to buy. A code word might be used, a legacy blend for example, something that can be passed along.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
cossack, nice find. I remember when the site looked like that and I used to always go to the 4 star blends first.
Curious handle you have there. Do you have Cossack blood in your family?

cossackjack

Lifer
Oct 31, 2014
Evergreen, Colorado
Harris:

Yes, Zaporozhian Cossack ancestors on my father's side; not sure on my mother's side.
Cossack Jack is a nickname since high school - I was a barbarian playing sports.

I look somewghat like my avatar, but without a bulbous nose & a little less portly. I also have a sheepskin papakha, though ther are few occasions to wear it as pillaging & plundering are discouraged.
kakleqz.png

Reactions: vates
Status
Not open for further replies.