Pipes Magazine » Pipe Tobacco Discussion

Tags:  No tags yet. 

How to Find Blends That Were Created Before 2007?

(15 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by cigrmaster
  • Latest reply from cossackjack
  1. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

This question has been nagging at me for a little bit. The only way I know how to date a blend is going to tobaccoreviews.com and looking for the earliest reviews. Does anyone have a different method they are using? Is there any other way besides TR to find that info?

Harris
    Posted 1 year ago #
  2. whitebar

whitebar

Login to Send PM

On the glpease website he lists the follow as going away. I'd like to see other brands create such lists for us.

Blends produced after 15 March, 2007:
    The following blends were introduced after the so-called Deeming Date, and may be subject to the new FDA regulations at some future date.
    Embarcadero
    Union Square
    Maltese Falcon
    The Virginia Cream
    Key Largo
    The entire Old London Series
    The entire New World Collection

Posted 1 year ago #
  3. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

whitebar, thanks for that info. Yes it would be a good thing for the other mfgs to let us know what is up.

Posted 1 year ago #
  4. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I suppose blenders are skittish about listing what is or is not affected. Probably some hope to save specific blends. And people in the industry seem to feel that the information available isn't especially clear nor helpful. Under better circumstances, blenders could list what stays and what goes by name. As it stands, it seems there are gray zones where blenders will try to take up the issue. This will go on for several years or more, and then we'll see what we have. The market for the consumer will certainly look different, and some blends will surface as survivors, and highly desirable, that never got the spotlight before. We hope for the best; what else can we do?

Posted 1 year ago #
  5. metalheadycigarguy

metalheadycigarguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

There was an older thread similar to this where someone had a link to Tobacco Reviews .com where all the tobacco's were 2007 and older. At least that's what I recall. Maybe I just imagined it or maybe someone else can repost the information.

Posted 1 year ago #
  6. 7ach

7ach

Login to Send PM

7. metalheadycigarguy

metalheadycigarguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'd like to pay those prices! Heck, Esoterica was in stock and cheap too!

Posted 1 year ago #
  8. deathmetal

deathmetal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The always-challenging orange website design...

"My own experience has been that the tools I need for my trade are paper, tobacco, food, and a little whiskey." -- William Faulkner

The Metal Mixtures
    Posted 1 year ago #
  9. orobusto

orobusto

Login to Send PM

I'd like to pay those prices! Heck, Esoterica was in stock and cheap too!

I crossed my fingers and tried to order 10 tins of Penzance!

Posted 1 year ago #
  10. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Wow, that page was actually from Jan 4 2007? Prices were certainly lower but on some things prices have only gone up a few bucks a tin. It is a good way to see what blends were available before the FDA deadline, thanks for finding that.

Posted 1 year ago #
  11. samw74

samw74

Login to Send PM

Samuel Gawith BBF. $5.73. WOW

Posted 1 year ago #
  12. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I don't know if you can quietly boast or subtly advertise, but if blenders feel certain of particular blends, it wouldn't be a bad pitch. Quietly noting that this is a blend that will remain available. Of course, people may rush to the ones headed off the market. But some consumers might want to get to like blends they can continue to buy. A code word might be used, a legacy blend for example, something that can be passed along.

Posted 1 year ago #
  13. cossackjack

cossackjack

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Anything listed here TobaccoReviews Nov 21, 2006 was in production prior to the the FDA's February 15, 2007 "grandfather date".

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
    Specialization is for insects!" - Robert Heinlein
    Posted 1 year ago #
  14. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

cossack, nice find. I remember when the site looked like that and I used to always go to the 4 star blends first.

Curious handle you have there. Do you have Cossack blood in your family?

Posted 1 year ago #
  15. cossackjack

cossackjack

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Harris:
    Yes, Zaporozhian Cossack ancestors on my father's side; not sure on my mother's side.

Cossack Jack is a nickname since high school - I was a barbarian playing sports.
    I look somewghat like my avatar, but without a bulbous nose & a little less portly. I also have a sheepskin papakha, though ther are few occasions to wear it as pillaging & plundering are discouraged.

Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   laa2, pappymac, gatorlope, ashdigger, captainsousie, jpmcwjr, fishnbanjo, transpose, dochudson, spartacus, ssjones, autumnfog, ben88