PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

nevadablue

Lifer
Jun 5, 2017
My lady asked what I want for Christmas. I don't 'need' anything, but I thought that a birth year pipe would be cool. I have had zero luck finding anything at all. I am not picky, but finding one example from 1947 would be neat.
How do I go about this?
Help?

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
That's a cool idea. I was born shortly after midnight on Leap Year Day, probably the first baby born in Detroit, 1956. A Peterson from that year would be neat. If anyone has an idea, let me know.

Dec 28, 2015
Found mine at briar blues. One of the most pleasant buying experience ever. And very satisfied with the purchase.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I have two birthyear Dunhills, and it's quite novel having pipes that came about the same time as yourself. Will keep my eyes peeled for a '47.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Experts on particular brands can sometimes pin it down with serial numbers or key traits of the stamping or other details. In the future, some may be able to avail themselves of a few pipe makers who date their pipes, like Luciano or a number of artisans. I've posted from time to time promoting giving year dates on pipes, but the argument against is that buyers then use that to try to bargain down the price directly or by inference. My go-to carver Jerry Perry has dated every pipe I've bought, just etched the year into the shank. Works for him.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Ken, good suggestions above. A date marked Dunhill, or a '47 Hallmarked pipe. A difficult period to find pipes from as the industry was still recovering from WW II...

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm not a Dunhill guy, but if I were, I think I'd skip a birth year pipe since 1946 pipes are rare, and not so good. Briar was rare during WWII. In the U.S., there were pipes made out of several other woods, including some pretty good ones out of Mountain Laurel.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
Here's what I did. I posted this a couple of years ago on a thread about birth year pipes. Obviously it's not the exact year when you get a Peterson like this but for us it did the trick. You'll have to research the stampings on Pipedia to see what to look for and patiently scan eBay or other estate sellers. If you have the bucks for a Dunhill then go for it, but it might take even longer to find. Good luck!
" My wife and I weren't all that much into getting birth year pipes as it just didn't seem that important to us. That coupled with the fact Dunhill is about the only pipe you can usually date to a single year, made it just too expensive an idea for us as well. So we opted for the "birth era" pipe. Looking for a pipe that could be dated to within a small time frame that was around your birth year. This was not something that we spent much time on, but over the period of about 6 months we both found pipes that fit the bill. Some Peterson pipes can be dated fairly closely to a certain time frame. For me it was the pre-republic period where the stampings dated a pipe between 1945-1947, and for my wife pipes whose stamping dated it between 1937-1941. We just liked the idea of smoking a pipe that was made around the time we were born, no other reasons, other than we both like old pipes that have some history."

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Ken I lucked into a 1981 (guess I'm the baby around here) Brigham purely by chance. I can attest its very cool to have a birth year pipe.
Just keep your eyes open and you'll find something. Are you that picky about what it is or condition?

nevadablue

Lifer
Jun 5, 2017
Thanks guys! Any help appreciated.
I am not picky about brand or condition. I like fixing things anyway. Maybe I will just carve '1947' on the side of some pipe. :D

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
The fact that you posted this may be enough. A member here remembered that I was looking for a 1952 Dunhill and offered it to me for a very fair price. I hope you have the same luck.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
https://www.amazon.com/uxcell-16-inch-Steel-Number-Making/dp/B06XTS2NR8/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1509932052&sr=8-4&keywords=numeral%2Bstamps&dpID=414VaJO%252B3kL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch&th=1

nevadablue

Lifer
Jun 5, 2017
Thanks George. I have a few sets of stamps. If I 'fake' the date, I will engrave it. I found my little air compressor and Lindsay Palm Tool in storage finally. I was worried about that one.
Engraving was a hobby for a while too.
The tool...
palm-white.jpg

OMG. Finally something I own has appreciated in value. A new one of those now costs $2690! 8O

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
Spotted one! It's over-reamed, but it's pretty cool. Has a neat asterisk looking stamp on it, too.
https://www.ebay.com/i/272921529903

briarblues

Can't Leave
Aug 3, 2017
Ken;
Contact a few dealers and let them know you're looking for a pipe of a specific year. You just never know. Also open the search margin. 1947 is the first year Castello made pipes. Peterson's, Barlings, and other UK brands can be found and easily dated if they have hallmarked silver. I'd check a few sites and learn something about 1947 hallmarks.
If that fails, there are a number of very cool wrist watches from 1947, that can be found.
Try an E-Bay search with only 1947. You may be amazed at what comes up. I did my birth year and found all kinds of weird and interesting things.
Regards

Michael J. Glukler

Status
Not open for further replies.