PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

welshrob

Lurker
Jan 12, 2012
Hi all, first time poster from Australia. I have been pipe smoking for about 5 years, nearly always at home outside undercover, so I sit at a table reading and never clench any of my pipes,I just hold them.Hi all, first time poster from Australia. I have been pipe smoking for about 5 years, nearly always at home outside undercover, so I sit at a table reading and never clench any of my pipes,I just hold them. I
Code:
<br />
<pre><code>l

s shop after about two minutes. Am I missing something fundamental on how to do this? Or am I just a drooler by nature? Thanks in advance, for any opinions or advice.

welshrob

Lurker
Jan 12, 2012
OK, something went wrong with this post. Half of it is missing, the system inserted code. Any ideas?

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
If you want to see the master of all clenchers, then please click on the YouTube link below. It is of an interview of the late Bing Crosby conducted by the late Edward R. Murrow on his "Person to Person" television show, and which aired on December 3, 1954. As you will see, Mr. Crosby makes clenching look absolutely effortless.
Bing Crosby - Person to Person

greyfoxactual

Might Stick Around
Jun 17, 2015
Minnesota
HA! Asking the Bing if he only smokes just that pipe was a classic journalist question. Great video! Love how he strikes the match off his thumb.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
What amazed me was that Mr. Crosby could speak clearly while clenching his pipe between his teeth! He must have practiced this, much as the ancient Greek orator Demosthenes did. Of the latter it is said that he developed his diction by speaking with pebbles in his mouth.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
huntertrw, When I saw that you had replied I had to check in to see what cleverly funny picture (probably pertaining to buttocks) you had posted. Oh, my disappointment...

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
"huntertrw, When I saw that you had replied I had to check in to see what cleverly funny picture (probably pertaining to buttocks) you had posted. Oh, my disappointment... "
I apologize for disappointing you, and pledge to attempt do better in the future! :)

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
Some pipes make me "drool" a bit more than others. I don't mean like a dog, but I notice it sometimes more than others. P-lips will cause it I've noticed. Bent pipes also more than straights.

I half clench most of the time.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
th

HAL: "Welshrob, your question can serve no purpose anymore. Goodbye."

menuhin

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2014
A few questions to all clenching smokers in the forum:

How do you, while having a pipe clenched and readily smokeable,

- swallow the excess saliva (hand free)?

- breathe in fresh air (hand free)?

- speak clearly while doing so?
I believe some of you can do that. :puffy:

greyfoxactual

Might Stick Around
Jun 17, 2015
Minnesota
I clench almost every pipe and it does produce more saliva. I chewed tobacco on occasion before pipe, so I always figured it was a byproduct of that habit.
P-Lip does seem to create more saliva than my bents and straights. Keeping your tongue away from the pipe lip will keep the gurgle to a minimum.
I also use the rubber tips which help a lot. P&C have nice ones that do not smell/taste of rubber. I have no science to back it up, but I think the novice produces more saliva than most because of being unaccustomed to clenching/having a pipe twixt the lips.
I also blow the smoke out through my nose on every other sip. Taking in air on the non-pipe side is easily learned. Speaking like Mr. Crosby, I have little doubt, will come with lots of glorious practice.
@hunter Barry Weiss is a new one. I like that guy. Thanks.

menuhin

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2014
Salut Cajun!!! :puffpipe:
@Hunter

That is a list of ultimate questions for me to join the league of clench champions to clench and smoke hand-free effortlessly.

I know it has to do with using the tongue to block the airway from time to time and some breath-smoking techniques. Plus the side-clench technique of Mr. Crosby that made him speak so clearly. However, up till now I never have yet figured out the whole set of skills all together, so my will to continuously smoke is defeated every time by one of the three above.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
Clenching is one more area where a cob makes a great training aid. Lightweight, easy to smoke, bits are easily replaced... :D
I keep a couple at work, and I'm getting better at keeping them lit while I stroll around. Not as much drool as I used to produce, either. For me, certain aromatics seem to encourage a certain amount of drooling, although I've noticed it with a couple of Latakia-heavy blends as well (guess it all depends on what I'm in the mood for...), so i pick less drool-inducing blends if it's a concern (YMMV). But yeah - part of it is just practice and experience, and it will shift as you try new pipes and new blends.

Status
Not open for further replies.