PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

thesillyoldbear

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 6, 2013
Dublin, Ireland
Cleaning your pipe is important. Without regular and diligent cleaning, your wonderful new pipe will become a soggy, ill-tasting mess, and will no longer provide you with the smoking pleasure you desire. To eliminate such problems, you need to embark on a regimen of regular pipe cleaning and maintenance for your pipes.
Read more...

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Helps avoid this:

http://www.dictionary.com/browse/mundungus
Great resource, TSOB. Thanks for posting!

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
I hold the garden hose tight to the bowl and blast all the chemicals, nicotine, and tars out the bit end.
Works a charm.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Ah, smokngpipes does it again: Long winded and exceptionally fussy details on how to do things. Even worse is their monograph on how to load and smoke a pipe. Beginners can't be blamed if they look at that and say, "Sheesh, way to complicated".

Mar 1, 2014
Isopropyl Alcohol is intended for use on people, your body will naturally metabolise small amounts, toxicity is a matter of quantity.

Not to mention it evaporates quickly and leaves no residue, so you can be sure it's not going to adjust any flavours.

Around here Everclear costs about $40 a liter, so that makes 99% Isopropyl Alcohol a much more reasonable cleaning solution.

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
I've been smoking going on 57 years, and some of my pipes have been with me nearly that long. But it doesn't matter whether a pipe has been with me for five, twenty or fifty years; every single one of my pipes looks as good as or better than the day I got it because they get cleaned and polished after nearly every smoke. In fact, the after-smoke ritual is as much a part of the pipe's life as the pre-smoke ritual. Keep your pipes clean; they will reward you with many years of happy smoking.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I'd actually been warned not to use alcohol. What's the discourse on proper pipe cleaning liquids?
The sparing occasional use of alcohol is fine. The problem with using it constantly is that over time it leaches out the silicate content of the briar, which affects both the briar's resistance to heat and its properties for moisture absorption.
I use alcohol on the stem airway at the end of each day's smoking. I use pipe cleaners and elbow grease for cleaning out the shank, mortise, and chamber walls after each day's smoking, and use alcohol once or twice a year when I'm doing a deep clean.

lotharen

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 26, 2016
Thanks for posting this. I have bookmarked the linked page. Now if I can just talk my Majesty into letting me have one

luigi

Can't Leave
May 16, 2017
Europe
How long do you dry your pipes after a periodical cleaning?

I lit mine 4 days after have cleaned it really good with 70% pure alcohol. I was so happy when I got rid of all the gunk, it was actually clean as new. But the first bowl now sucks, maybe it's normal after having it reamed also. I normally clean my pipes with alcohol when they start to taste sour, it's usually every month or so.

Alcohol should evaporate quickly, is it possible 4 days is not enough? Thinking too much is becoming frustrating, there are so many different opinions on how to clean, I guess I'll try with hot water next time. :)

captpat

Lifer
Dec 16, 2014
North Carolina
Only on really gunked up pipes would I ream and do an alcohol treatment, usually one or the other. Monthly seems almost too frequent to me, are you letting your pipes rest after a day of smoking? Also, try using 91% alcohol or drinking spirits like Everclear.

luigi

Can't Leave
May 16, 2017
Europe
I let them rest for at least a day or two, of course I clean it with one or two dry pipe cleaners after each smoke. It wasn't completely gunked but it started to taste bitter. That's when I clean pipes thoroughly. In this case it was after 16 bowls. A cake was thicker than a dime and it was probably the right time. I suspect I soaked it too much or let it dry not long enough.

pianopuffer

Can't Leave
Jul 3, 2017
NYC
Here we go again!
I love cleaning pipes, whether by hot water bath as jpmcwjr suggests or with the occasional everclear pipe cleaner. I think the main thing is, try and figure out what works for you and then keep a regimen going so as to keep your briars and meers in good shape long term.

luigi

Can't Leave
May 16, 2017
Europe
I love cleaning pipes, whether by hot water bath as jpmcwjr suggests or with the occasional everclear pipe cleaner.

So how often do you mean when you say occasional? And how long do you let them dry after cleaning with everclear? Just curious. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.