PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kgill

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 11, 2013
I want to start restoring pipes. The typical briarwood bowl finish is removed by alcohol or similar.
So how do you do a general clean up of the dirt grime smoke residue and dirty fingerprints on the outside of the wooden bowl; spit? water? murphys?

Thanks

kgill

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
I normally use rubbing alcohol most times, but I'm not a fan of heavy stains. But if I'm trying to keep the stain I would use wet toothbrush or q tip (great for rims), then wipe with a fluffy rag. I know folks say briar and water don't mix and prolonged water contact can make the grain swell, but a little bit doesn't hurt it in my opinion.
You might also take a look at some stiff bristle shoe brushes. After that I do like Sam and use white diamond (unless it's got heavy rustication). You'll be surprised at the shine you can get from the polishing compound, cheap wheel, and a cordless drill.
I *just* started trying Carnuba wax on my last two restores. Not sure how I feel about it yet.
One tip I never see mentioned. Once you finish the clean up make sure you give the inside of the bowl a wipe down with alcohol. Lots of junk from the cleaning (briar dust, compound, wax) can get inside and give you a funky tasting smoke. I also never like how they smoke the first time or two. I can still taste the alcohol usually.
I'm still learning but there are some awesome refinishers here on this site. Show us some pics!

kgill

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 11, 2013
I am asking because I see everyone recommends carnauba wax and I understand why but you want to make sure you have a clean surface before you give it that treatment right? Otherwise you trap the grime into and under the wax. Right? Just like rubbing out the paint on a car.
So when you try to revive a long abused pipe bowl surface seems to me you want to get it clean first then wax.
I saw a post somewhere that suggested using coffee, didn't understand the benefit of that one.
Jah76 - doesn't the rubbing alcohol remove the outer finish?
Igloo - really?
Darjones - back at ya
Samcoffeeman - that was my first safe bet ill have to try it
Thanks

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
I run them under hot water and clean them with Murphey's .Next I use boiling water to break the cake and remove tars . Boil water and use a small funnel . Salt treatment .

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
Murphy's Oil Soap, undiluted, can/will remove finish and stain so be careful with that.
It all depends on how far you want to go of how little you want to do. Some cotton swabs and rags with a little alcohol and saliva can remove a lot of tar and gunk, with elbow grease. Buffing wheels can do great things, too. There are alternatives to carnauba wax, such as Halycon II and Paragon and other things like gun stock wax and clothes. Then there's soaking the stummel in a container of 91% isopropyl alcohol for 1-24 hours to remove all the finish and most of the stain. The possibilities are almost endless, depending on what you want to accomplish. But all of them have two things in common: patience and trial and error (okay, maybe that's three lol).

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
kgill. Yes, it will strip it. That's why I mentioned the water and brush/qtips.
And your 100% right about about cleaning it before your wax it.
I've used Halcyon wax before. I'm on the fence about it. You really need to use a TINY bit and make sure you rub it in very well. It dulls shortly after also imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.