PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

trouttimes

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
Lake Martin, AL
What say everyone, when I open a tin and decide it's not ready, do I move it to a jar or just close the tin? I move them to a jar but this may not be necessary.

bluegrasspipe

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2017
In my opinion I move right to the jar, that way you know it will be good for the long haul, and you know it's safe for storage. I have had a lot of tins go super dry when I forgot about them after opening once or twice, and they never seem quite the same after you re-hydrate them.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Depends on your rate of smoking and intent of said tobacco.
If it's a blend I like, I keep it in the tin and wail on it.
If it's a new to me blend AND I wasn't completely in love with it, I'd jar it and revisit in 6 months, or longer.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I find some blends, even many blends, need anywhere from a few days to a few weeks to stabilize, air out or whatever after opening the tin. Seems like GLP blends especially are like this. Perhaps it is just because I smoke so many GLP blends as well. So there are two kinds of ready. One is this stabilization. Another is the blend needs more age.
If it is a new blend I haven't tried, I buy one to three tins, open one to try. To give it a fair shake, I let it open (when I say open, I pop the tin, leave the top off for an hour or two, then put the top back on) for a few weeks. Smoke most if not all of the tin. If it is really good, I'll order more to cellar. I found with cigars, good tobacco is always good and gets much better with age. Bad tobacco never becomes good tobacco no matter how long you age it. Just my own experience but accumulated over thousands, if not tens of thousands, cigars (including thousands of Cubans).
Perhaps it would make sense to transfer the contents to a jar for a few weeks to keep it from drying out too much. I've yet to see a tobacco dry out "too much" in a couple of weeks.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Once I open a tin it goes to a jar. I only smoke once a day so it takes a while for me to go through a tin.
I recently opened a new tin of Molto Dolce and spread it out on paper towels for almost 12 hours. It's still wet...then I put it in a jar. I don't know if MD ever dries out.

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
If you don’t really care for it now and you plan on coming back later, definitely jar it. If I am going to smoke it in the next month or two, I just leave it in the tin, especially if it’s a Pease/McClelland style tin, as they seem to keep the tobacco pretty stable after opening. The screw down style tins are more prone to dry out on you.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I just leave it in the tin, especially if it’s a Pease/McClelland style tin, as they seem to keep the tobacco pretty stable after opening.
+1 on the McClelland. I've had a tin of 40th Anniversary that I've been smoking on for a year now and the tobacco is far from dried out.

mrmachado

Can't Leave
Oct 17, 2018
Brazil
I've purchased a basic/cheaper Brazilian blend which I didn't like, but I have stored it in a sealed plastic container 1 month ago or so.
I hope the taste improves.

Status
Not open for further replies.