PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

faust

Might Stick Around
May 25, 2014
Im sure this question has been asked hundreds of times, but I couldn't find a thread so I decided to ask myself. While I usually smoke my pipe alone, and took up the hobby for reasons other than looking cool, every time one of my friends or family sees me smoking, they ask me to blow smoke rings (probably from watching the Lord of the Rings). I have tried this a few times myself but have failed miserably every time. I was wondering firstly, if it is even possible with a pipe, secondly what is the method and how do you do it and thirdly is there any particular tobaccos that work better with smoke rings, maybe a thicker smoke? Thank you very much for all of your help and I hope everyone isn't rolling their eyes xD I'd love to be able to puff a few rings next time my friends call over :D Rob

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
You have to lie down with your butt in the air and ……... :rofl:
You can do it but it involves a facial expression not dissimilar to a guppy fish at feeding time. If you google it you will find an illustrated article on the art of blowing smoke rings.

kendodan

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 22, 2013
Blowing smoke rings is definitely possible with a pipe. I find it easier to do with a thicker smoke that comes from a longer drag from your pipe. This will heat the pipe up pretty fast though so be careful. It's hard to describe how to do though. Try to make your mouth like a ring with the tongue being in the middle and then without really blowing air from your lungs force the air and smoke thats already in your mouth out with a slight puff. It just takes practice and playing around with it to get it right.

faust

Might Stick Around
May 25, 2014
@condorlover1 hahaha, this is why I love this community xD @kendodan, thank you for the tips, Im happy that it is possible, and its good to know that it heats up in advance, now I will know to let the pipe rest slightly longer between puffs, I will keep looking for videos etc. Is there any tobacco in particular that you find has thicker smoke? I am still pretty new to this and haven't tried every type of blend yet :/

pylorns

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Austin, Texas
www.thepipetool.com
I'd avoid virginia's at least - they need to be smoked slower and if you're trying to get nice thick smoke - maybe some burley would be your best bet. It takes a lot of practice, I continually work on it but it's hard to describe how you do it and kendodan pretty much gave the best description.

faust

Might Stick Around
May 25, 2014
Yeh, I can imagine it taking some time to master, especially as I dont want to waste every bowl on smoke rings.. Would something like a latakia, burly or perique work well?

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
I learned how to do it a couple of years ago. I can now blow multiple rings in a row, up to about 6 I think. Once you do it the first time you will never forget.
Good luck.

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
Like this:
83811796_zps04cecee9.gif

I also form my mouth in an 'o' and, making my tongue as pointy as I can, pop the smoke out with my tongue. Don't bother even trying if there's the slightest breeze.

faust

Might Stick Around
May 25, 2014
wuuut.. that looks insane! That couldn't be done with a pipe though right? You would need a hooka for something that cool xD

kendodan

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 22, 2013
Another way to do it is to make the same mouth position as I described before but perhaps a little smaller and then tap on your cheek. This will produce a small one and if you get good at it you can fire them off rapid fire.

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
Yeah, I think you would need a hookah for the gif, and that dude looks like he's got an freaking industrial model. Aaaaand way too much time on your hands. Or be a wizard.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
First, I don't know how to blow smoke rings, though I have tried, but with certain tobaccos

and pipes, I blow smoke rings without intending to. Beats me, but it's true. As mentioned

above, copious smoke is part of it. Cavendish tends to make smoke rings by itself, just

smoking it. Our three cats take an interest in pipe smoke in general and smoke rings in

particular.

faust

Might Stick Around
May 25, 2014
that dude looks like he's got an freaking industrial model. Aaaaand way too much time on your hands. Or be a wizard.

:rofl:

I laughed a lot at that comment xD, @mso489 Ill be sure to try it out with some cavendish, smoking with cats sounds fun :D curious little creatures :p @kendodan I just watched a video on that, very cool effect :D

Status
Not open for further replies.