Can't Leave
Dec 3, 2014
Step 1: open your tin
Step 2: let it dry
RoyalYacht2_zps83eb9c2b.jpg

jorgesoler

Can't Leave
Dec 3, 2014
I know, I know. There is this misconception amongst pipe smokers that moist tobacco will smoke better than dry ones, but it is rather the contrary. They even sell those stones you stick in your tin to hydrate your tobacco, which I find awful. I guess this is all based on cigars assumptions, but pipe tobacco is a different subject.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Never gave drying "Royal Yacht" or any other blend much thought. Tongue bit ceased being an issue when I stopped treating the pipe like a cigarette. That was over 50 years ago. Keeping blends properly hydrated is more of a consideration for me. I must have 20 buttons laying around in drawers and a least four in use as I write.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
It is best to store it slightly damp to keep it fresh, but dry is the way I go when I smoke.

jorgesoler

Can't Leave
Dec 3, 2014
None taken. I need 'em, you don't.
Thanks. I have noticed that, in most cases, if you challenge what people believe or do, they will take offence. I think this forum should be a place where people can share opinions and ideas about tobacco in a constructive way. I used to have those too long time ago, but I have grown out of it due to new information and experience (trial and error).

jorgesoler

Can't Leave
Dec 3, 2014
One thing is the manufacture of tobacco, but a different issue is when you smoke it (at this point in time, tobacco should be let do dry a bit).

fluffie666

Can't Leave
Apr 4, 2014
This is interesting because it can be taken in a lot of different directions because there are so many variables to smoking. Personally I like the tobacco I am going to smoke to be on the dryer side. Not crispy but almost to that point. I like it to still have just a little bit of bend left to it before I put it in the bowl to fire it up. As for aging I also like a good bit of the moisture to facilitate the maturation process. As for the moisture buttons, I've never used them but I do have a tin of Haddo's Delight I might want to try putting one of those into because I haven't smoked the stuff much and by now it has to be to dry to smoke. Come to think of it, I just never found a reason to smoke another bowl of that particular tobacco. That's why it's still sitting in the tin after a year and not in a jar.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
I dry out my tobacco bowl by bowl as I prepare for my next smoke, rather than drying out an entire tin.
My understanding is the optimum moisture for storage is higher than the optimum moisture for smoking.
Slow sipping gives more flavor!

wlrountree

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 4, 2015
From my cigar days, I remember reading that they need to be stored at 70 degrees and 70% relative humidity for best results in aging. That being said, you smoke a cigar at 70% relative humidity, so therefore how would this relate to pipe tobacco. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the correct smoking RH for pipe tobacco is aroun10-15%, I beleive.

fluffie666

Can't Leave
Apr 4, 2014
I think a lot can also be said about dry time when the quality of the briar is taken into consideration

I get a lot of estate pipes and I believe that a good portion of them are being put out there for resale because they don't smoke properly. My guess is this can be attributed to prior use and not being maintained properly or maybe the briar in the first place was not cured well. I have to do a lot of work on an estate pipe before I am happy with the way they smoke. Usually they are hot and wet smokers until I drill them out and clean them up. I don't have one yet but I've been lead to believe that if a $300 Dunhill is purchased as opposed to a $50 estate pipe the smoking experience will be more enjoyable from the $300 pipe right off the bat. My guess to the reasoning behind this is because of the briar. It would just smoke better because the expensive one would soak up most of the moisture that naturally occurs from the combustion of the tobacco. Good quality briar may equal less dry time for the tobacco leading to a more flavorful smoke. Any thoughts on this theory?

fluffie666

Can't Leave
Apr 4, 2014
I'm more of an information seeker than a nazi. A mental prodder. I do enjoy a good salmon though.

Aug 14, 2012
Put the bitten part, usually the tip of your tongue, against part of your mouth while dragging, preventing the smoke from reaching it.

Status
Not open for further replies.