PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattsem

Might Stick Around
Oct 14, 2014
how can i avoid the rim from getting dark? i assume i can only keep the flame away from it. is that right?

and if gets slightly dark, is there a way to clean it at all?

I hold my lighter or match about half an inch above the bowl and draw the flame down to the bowl, even if it is a more than half-way relight. And, sometimes the flame doesn't visibly get drawn down, but the heat does. Still my pipes aren't 100% free of darkening. But, they are way better than when I felt the need to hold the lighter more closely to the bowl. I hope that helps.

mattsem

Might Stick Around
Oct 14, 2014
so no matter what you do still it gonna get dark anyway, am i right?

texmexpipe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 20, 2014
It sounds odd but after lighting the pipe I will sometimes use my finger and some saliva around the rim it keeps the carbon off. I don't really know why it works and if I remember right I think I saw one of the Dagners do it in a video. A lot of guys will use this method while cleaning their pipe, I just do it early I guess.

The spit thing will help too. I always forget to do it before I light my pipe, but when it does get a bit dark after a few lights, I will use spit to remove it. I used to be way more obsessed about darkening the rim. I was attracted to pipes with a polished rim with nice grain, ugg, but now I just accept what effects smoking as on the pipe as a sign of a well loved pipe. But, I do tend to use a polish cloth and spit to get them all nice and shiny after I've finished smoking and cleaned out. I do love the way my pipes look, and I want to keep then as nice as possible. Just not AS obsessive as I used to be, ha ha.

texmexpipe

Oct 20, 2014
I'll have to try the coffee trick, as I often have a cup of it on hand.

mattsem

Might Stick Around
Oct 14, 2014
@Sparks, would you please explain a little bit more. I'm at a stage that im obsessed with keeping them spotless. I know this will pass. but for the time being i like to keep them nice and shiny

what are the steps in this coffee trick? black coffee u mean just instant coffee in boiled water? and use it for cleaning the rim? please elaborate.

I also like to know how to polish the outside if the bowl. I have all sort of career oils at home but i was afraid to use till i ask you guys first

mattsem

Might Stick Around
Oct 14, 2014
spit, instant coffee, not exactly very glamorous :D but i will do whatever it take to keep my new pipes clean just let me know and i'll do it :worship:

darwin

Apr 9, 2014
Here's a couple of preventative measures. First a narrow flame butane lighter is less indiscriminate about slopping heat around the rim area than matches or a Zippo. Second try to always light your pipe with the bowl upright and level. This isn't always easy to do but the common practice of tilting one's head down to light, especially outdoors, and consequently drawing flame nearly sideways into the pipe means a lot more of it rises and slops onto the inside bowl rim. Doing both these things will cut down on rim darkening tremendously although obviously not entirely.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Are we talking about pipes here or bathroom issues? On a serious note I was once told you could avoid burning to the top of your pipe bowl by rubbing it on the oil from the pores in your nose. I hasten to add I have never tried this novel home remedy but it was my 2 pence to add to the conversation.

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
I have a Vertigo lighter and set the flame to a very low setting. I then position it directly over the tobacco and draw in slowly. I also use the saliva and a soft cotton rag.

darwin

Apr 9, 2014
"Are we talking about pipes here or bathroom issues?"
If your bathroom bowl is not upright and level you will certainly have rim darkening problems. Ew.

tanless1

Sep 14, 2010
I see no issue with a darkend rim. It adds character,and proves use.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
SPIT!
Apply a little around the rim before lighting to avoid pipe rim flambé. Use spit or coffee to keep the rim clean. Put a little bit o spit on a rag and wipe down the rim when cleaning. I fail to see the merit in crapping up a pipe's rim, especially when the carver has thought about the relationship of shape to grain and has provided me with a show of birdseye across the top. If's like saying, "I don't give a damn about your craft."
If you can use wooden matches, I find that I get better control of the charring light with a match than with a lighter, unless it's a proper pipe lighter.
Also, a pipe with an unscortched rim sells for a higher price than one with a cremated rim. So if you're likely to trade out pipes as you progress in your journey, not being a slob offers certain rewards.

clarkj734

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 2, 2014
In my experience its not just the lighting that can cause some darkening. Yes - if you char the rim with the lighter, you will char the rim and it will darken.
Lighting the pipe perfectly can still cause rim darkening if you pack your tobacco flush with the rim of the pipe. The hot ember at the top of the bowl will cause some charing / darkening as well. What has helped me keep my rims as nice and clean as possible has been to pack the pipe leaving about 1/4 of an inch of space at the top of the chamber. Also - the tobacco rising up upon lighting can cause charring as well - even if the flame doesn't touch the wood.

Status
Not open for further replies.