PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
Greetings:
I'm preparing to thin the herd but am at a loss as to how to set the sale price. Most are Savinelli, maybe a couple of Stanwell and Nordings.
Similarly, I have little idea what to bid for estate pipes or to determine if the price is equitable. Whether buying or selling, I just want to set a fair price.
Is there a book on this topic? Another resource?
My other option is to sell them to SPC at a fraction of the retail value but I'm interested in dipping my toe in water with buying and selling estate pipes.
As best offers are forbidden by forum rules, it is hard to get started.
Maybe taken my best guess and put them on ebay? I'm just thinking as I'm typing.
Any guidance would be appreciated.
Pax

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I'd first spend some time on the Bay, as well as our reputable dealers in estates and see what similar pipes are going for.

lasttango

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 29, 2012
Wilmington, De / Ithaca, NY
It might be more equitable to consign them through Pipestud or Marty at Pulver's than it would to send them to SPC for 30-40% of what they anticipate to get.
I have done the SPC thing. It was fast. I used it as a credit to trade.
I usually offer the pipes I want to sell on eBay and here. I ask for about 25-30% less here.
I have an expensive pipe with someone putting it on consignment. He keeps 20% if it sells. I don't know if he's work with pipes under $100.
Ultimately, I think jmpcwjr is right... get a sense of what they go for on eBay. Clean them up and start them off at the lowest price you'd be willing to part with them without crying.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Steve: If you don't mind, I'm going to move this to the Pipe Talk Section.
As mentioned, I'd spend some time on Ebay, researching closed or completed auctions for the makes that you would like to sell. That will give you a nice idea on a range of values, depending on condition.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
As Al explained, if you wish to do it yourself it'll take a bit of homework. Look for pipe similar to yours and study them, note the presentation (photos and descriptions), watch the a auctions for a couple of months, take notes, see what sells and what reappear, magically, in a couple of weeks after being "sold". Study your notes and then, test the water, see what you have learned, list a couple of pipes and see what happens.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
Sorry Al. I thought the buy/sell was the proper section. But then, I think a lot of things that are wrong. At least according to my wife.

Status
Not open for further replies.