How Tightly Should Tobacco Be Packed in Jars For Long Term Storage?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

phreon

Lurker
Jul 11, 2017
The title says it all. I have 64 Oz. of tobacco to jar up. My meager experience is every ounce of weight fills roughly 4 oz. of space reasonably tightly. Less than I'd pack the pipe, but not loose by any stretch. My McClelland stash has arrived...
Most of it'll go into quart canning jars, but I'll split the last into 8 oz. jars so I'm not disturbing the big ones as I dig into it. Leave about an inch of head-space?
FWIW, I'm working with "Virginias and soft, cut cake Burley Cavendish" and "Virginias and smooth Black Cavendish flavored with chocolate". #110 and #402.
Thank you.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Pack it as tightly as possible, into the smallest canning jars that you can consume in a reasonable period of time. Don't put it all into one jar.

phreon

Lurker
Jul 11, 2017
I think I'd need a hydraulic press to get 40 oz. into a 32 oz. jar!
It'll take me a good long while to go through this. I smoke in fits and starts. A fair amount will go in 8 oz. jars for sure, but it'll take a while to get to the big ones.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
With ribbon cut I pack in a 1:2 ratio. 2oz tobacco in a 4 oz jar, 4 oz tobacco in an 8 oz jar, etc. With flakes I pack as tightly as I can while still allowing the opportunity to full a flake without macerating it.

seacaptain

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
With ribbon cut I pack in a 1:2 ratio. 2oz tobacco in a 4 oz jar, 4 oz tobacco in an 8 oz jar, etc. With flakes I pack as tightly as I can while still allowing the opportunity to full a flake without macerating it.
This.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
For anything other than flake, I use a wooden potato masher to compress it as tightly as possible.

phreon

Lurker
Jul 11, 2017
Well, it's all sealed away. I should have bought more of the #402, 4 little jars. This is all of it.
The #110 is weirdly springy. It's not dried out, it just semi-fine ribbon that fluffs back up immediately after mashing down hard. I could have fought to get it into fewer jars but would have made a bigger mess.
4 on the left are #402, everything else on the right is #110
Time to find my canning stickers.

39787754565_93c99e84c9_b.jpg

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Mash it down! Unless you have a major press (that'd break the jars!) there's plenty of oxygen in the jar when fully packed.
And tobacco is sold by weight; the jars measured by volume.

curl

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 29, 2014
I totally agree with sablebrush. I would add that I prefer 2 oz storage over 4 oz or larger. When we finally open a jar, the fermentation process stops. I would rather keep the next 2 oz in the cellar while I rather slowly smoke my way thru a each jar.

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
Since these are both aromatic blends, they won't really benefit from aging, due to the casing. The main concern is that the flavorings will fade over time. So, IMHO, pack these tobaccos very tightly to preserve the current flavors and save space. If we were talking about 27 Virginia, for example, then you'd want some air in the jar to allow aerobic fermentation.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
When using the sledgehammer method, wrap the jar in electrical tape first. That will help keep the jar together. :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.