PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

colcolt

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 11, 2012
Guys this has been a life changing past six weeks. A couple weeks before Christmas I lost my sister as I mentioned earlier in another thread. Then, I had all the technicalities of organizing her funeral and later I'll have to deal with selling her house she left me. Part of life I suppose.
Yesterday I decided it was time for me to stay home with my beloved boy Bubba and not leave him ten hours a day anymore and start enjoying whatever time he and I have left together so, I retired!! It feels great not getting up at 4:30 in the morning anymore and yesterday and this morning we didn't get up till 8:30am. I think I can get into this and it's been a long time coming so, I hope to enjoy every thing more with the extra time I'll now have. More time to play with my old tube radios and haunt the pipe/tobacco websites...I highly recommend it to everyone. :D

ace57

Lifer
Jun 21, 2011
Yep! being retired is nice but you never get a day off. :rofl: Congrats!!!

dlattim

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 27, 2012
Congrats on your retirement! I'm afraid I might not ever have that luxury.

colcolt

Jun 11, 2012
Many thanks. I know of some at work that retired and came back a few months later to work 2-3 days a week for a certain amount of hours...not me. I told them when I'm gone, I'm gone. I have plenty to keep my mind and hands occupied. I was always able to do that and with having several hobbies, dog and house to take care of there won't be any sitting for hours on end munching chips and watching TV. There's nothing worth watching anyway. I need to get organized around here and I think I'll have the time to attempt that now at any rate.
I'm getting a new Zenith console radio(1937) to put in the living room soon. I can hook up a CD player or ipod to a transmitter and set the frequency where I want it, usually a quite spot on the AM dial, and be able to listen to old radio programs through an old radio. Pretty neat.
Zenith12-S-266Frt.jpg

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
My parents still have an old tube radio, I think it's a Philco. I know my dad got it working at one point years ago.

scottishjohn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 17, 2012
Broomfield, Colorado
Congratulations on your retirement. You will never regret it! Problem is, there are no days off, and you will find that you do not have enough time in a day to get everything done that you had planed. How on earth did I get anything done when I was working? :puffpipe:

mthanded

Can't Leave
Sep 15, 2012
Congratulations! I love the sound and look of the old radios and the wait for the tubes to heat up. I have an old one that my folks left me and I like to listen to AM country when I can. The old radio shows are the best. We used to camp almost every weekend in the summer and the kids would listen to the old shows like Inner Sanctum and the Shadow until late in the night and loved every minute of it. I hope retirement is everything and more you could ask for.

colcolt

Jun 11, 2012
Yep, I still recall as a kid turning the radio on after TV went off(imagine that!) around 12:00 to supplement our entertainment and how I'd get scared listening to Inner Sanctum Mysteries or Lights Out. Boston Blackie was a favorite as well.
I'll have plenty of time to record some old Glen Miller and Artie Shaw music and play through these old radios. Why not live in the past? At this age there ain't much future left. :wink:

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Glad to see you back here colcolt - nice to know the arrangements with your sister has been settled. Very glad for you. And congrats on the retirement! Enjoy your pup and that sweet console too. :puffy:

colcolt

Jun 11, 2012
Lux Radio Theater...I haven't thought of that in decades. Reminds me of the General Electric Theater hosted by none other than Ronald Reagan! Suspense was another scary program I recall listening to.
numbersix-You can download those to an ipod? I don't have one of those but was looking into it so I could download mp3's.
Thanks, rothnh. My sister made it all possible. I couldn't have done it without her.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
numbersix-You can download those to an ipod? I don't have one of those but was looking into it so I could download mp3's.
Yep - you can download tons of music and old radio shows. As long as you can listen to the iPod through the Zenith, you'll be set.

Status
Not open for further replies.