PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
I mostly smoke pipes in the .75" to .95" range and generally 1.35" and deeper. I also tend to purchase pipes 1.5oz or lighter as any heavier it's a bitch to clench.
So what do you consider to be too small of a pipe?
My smallest pipe is a Tsuge bent bulldog that's .61" diameter by 1" deep. It's pretty darn small so I don't smoke it very often.
I see an artisan pipe on Smokingpipes.com that I've fallen in love with but damn is it small. .62" diameter by .92" depth. I've never spent that kind of money on a pipe before so I'm REALLY REALLY hesitant to buy it.
I know a lot of people on here love big honking pipes.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Pipe size is up to the individual. I used to love the really big pipes, but have found that chambers 3/4×1 1/2 inches suits me perfectly.

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
The really isn't a pipe that's too small. I smoke only outside 365 days of the year and Maine winters can be brutal, be it wind, snow, sleet and just damn cold. I use my smaller bowled pipes for these reasons and for test a new tobacco that I thought might be interesting to try. If I have the opportunity to just enjoy a smoke w/o wind then my general pipes are .75" and 1 1/2" or slightly deeper.

banjo

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
I'm just curious as to what peoples personal opinion is on what they consider to be too small.

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
I'm just curious as to what peoples personal opinion is on what they consider to be too small.
If I had to put some sort of number on it, I'd say anything that, when fully filled, gives less than 15 minutes of smoking time.
For a point of reference, I get about a 45-55 minute (depending on blend and how "hungry" I am) smoke from and average 0.75 x 1.4 inch bowl, so I doubt very much there are any pipes out there that i would find too small.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Hmmm. I like a range of sizes but don't have a preference for one. I have several really large pipes, for long seated smokes, and churchwardens for sitting and reading. Most of my pipes are roughly medium size. I used to think of Group 1 and 2 pipes, really small ones, as souvenirs and toys. But when I bought one, I saw it was useful for sampling blends at a pipe shop or show, taking tentative smokes of really strong tobacco before I waded in with a larger bowl, or getting a regular length smoke with many flake/coin/plug/or rope blends. Small pipes are light weight, hence very portable, and terrific for clenching. I wouldn't want only, or mostly, small pipes, but I'd now feel the lack of several small pipes for these purposes. For pocket pipes, I don't select the slender small pipes (like EWA churchwardens or Peterson Belgique, etc.) because their stems and shanks are slender and breakable. However, small bent billiards and thick shanked and stemmed nose warmers can be ideal for pocket and travel pipes. So I'd vote for a range of sizes, if like me, you accumulate pipes over time. If you only own a few, medium size is good since you can always smoke half or third bowls if needed.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I started with, and still use fairly often, a Baraccini "pocket pipe"
Baraccini Pocket #135

Pipe Length: 4.2"

Bowl Inner Dia.: 0.6"

Bowl Depth: 0.9"

Pipe Weight: 0.80 oz
This thing gives a good 15-20 minute smoke with a ribbon cut.
pm-p200315_view2.png

jay-roger.jpg

clickklick

Lifer
May 5, 2014
Don,
I'm in trouble with the mini-can I'm making for you then!
Personally, I love huge chambered light pipes, only because I tend to spend hours at a time in the workshop and need to clench when I am working with my hands. So the lighter the pipe with more capacity is ideal.
Prior to pipemaking it was pretty standard 3/4-7/8" diameter and 1-1.5" chambers.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
Adam,

Nah no trouble here. I've been gradually moving to smaller and smaller pipes for some reason. I've got a couple pipes now that I would have considered too small a couple years ago.

rcanderson

Might Stick Around
Jul 12, 2017
Aiea, Hawaii
Unfortunately, I think I found one that is too small. I ordered a Churchwarden online that was on sale while I was ordering some other items and just received it today. Apparently, they used some trick photography when they created the ad because this "Churchwarden" is only about 6 inches long. My pinky finger barely fits in the bowl, lol.

Mar 1, 2014
I thought that large pipes were the best thing in the world when I started, that hasn't changed too much but I've discovered that narrow chambers are better for flakes. Lately I've been pursuing some smaller pipes, a set of Falcons filled the gap nicely.
17mm bowl diameter seems pretty good, I haven't found anything smaller than that yet but if you go much smaller it would probably be hard to light without scorching the rim.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
I would say that this pipe is 'too small'. At just over three inches in length and with a bowl too small to hold a peanut I would say I hold the record on the forum :nana:
img_0002-28-600x399.jpg

img_0003-26-600x399.jpg

I picked it up at an antiques fair a couple of years ago for the measly sum of £3. It is entirely made from horn so I should imagine it would taste pretty awful despite it being drilled for smoking :roll:
Regards,
Jay.

Status
Not open for further replies.