PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

puffndave

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 9, 2015
I recently picked up a BC Montmartre pipe with what I feel is likely the most beautiful sandblasted finish that I am likely to find at my favorite tobacco dealer for the price while I remain underemployed. I won't name the shop because I don't want to name names right now, and chances are it has personnel who are here on this forum. For the past few years I have been nothing but happy with this store, and they have been nothing but courteous. They offered a full refund for the issue which I brought the pipe back in for, but being that I am unlikely to find a wood-grain and overall style which I find to be nearly as satisfying for the price in a different make, I'm having a hard time with taking them up on that. The pipe is not Peterson, I know, but it isn't dirt-cheap either, and it just caused me a problem which even the cheapest drugstore pipe would never have. I just felt that the company and any dealer who sells their pipes should be red-faced about this problem, and show interest in rectifying it instead of letting their consumers down like this.
The problem is with the stem, and what BC (or the dealer) calls vulcanite. I own several vulcanite-stem pipes, so I found this a bit strange, and I can't imagine how anybody wouldn't find the discolaration of this after smoking it just once disturbing. lt that somebody should make good when it instantly began to look like hell after smoking it just once. What, am I the only pipe smoker who didn't expect a vulcanite stem to have the look of rubbed-on and smudged shoe polish, with chips in that finish where my teeth had carefully (not at all hard) gripped it? Underneath that weak finish is something lighter, a sickly greenish some kind of shit. I am sort of new to pipe smoking, but hardly a beginner - I own several pipes with vulcanite stems, got one with Lucite, and none of them melt after being in my mouth.
With the stem being the only problem with this pipe, I didn't expect this to be a problem for the dealer to fix. I know they're all different, with different fittings, but the manufacturer must have had multiple complaints, fixed what seemed a likely production problem, and would send a new one through multiple dealers who relayed so many such complaints. This didn't happen through the store where I bought this pipe. I asked my dealer (who is not the owner) if he could send it to the manufacturer for mitigation, but he only appeared doubtful that this would resolve the problem. I know they're in Fraaaance, but they still need to guard some degree of respectability with American dealers, so I would hope. Is there some other problem, or something about different types of stem finishings which I'm missing intel on? What would you do in this situation?

samcoffeeman

Can't Leave
Apr 6, 2015
Poor quality stem. You have two easy options as I see it. You can have a new stem made for @$30, I recommend Floyd Norwood as he is inexpensive and fast. This depends on how much you like the pipe and your funds. I know you don't really want to pay more to have it fixed but having the french company fix it is probably asking too much to expect, and may just get another poor quality stem. The other option is to chalk it up to bad quality and move on.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
I have one pipe that I really like that did the same thing, oxidized almost instantly after a couple smokes. It was really quite gross. I chose to polish up the stem myself and so far it has remained in good condition after many smokes. I did not have the issue of teeth marks that you mentioned though.

puffndave

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 9, 2015
Jkrug, what did you use to polish your stem? Any compound? I'm guessing it wasn't really shoe polish.

alexnorth

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2015
I'd probably also try to the best of my abilities to polish it myself. It really sucks that you need to though, shouldn't have to with a new pipe.

raevans

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 20, 2013
Sorry to hear about the stem puffndave. Other than the stem, is the pipe a great smoker? I would agree with samcoffeeman, you can have another stem made or you an take up the store and get a refund. I can tell you from experience, that the store is not dealing directly with BC. They are getting their supply of BC pipes from a distributor. If the shop goes back to the distributor, they will be given another pipe. That's because BC will replace the whole pipe back to the distributor when he sends it to them. BC puts out thousands of pipes that go to shops all over the world. If one of their machine made pipes goes bad, they will replace it. They will not replace just the stem. If they have ten or twenty pipes go bad out of every thousand, that is well within their company standards. It's much easier and less time consuming for them to just replace a pipe and not have to dedicate a person to replace stems.

I would say that the B&M that you are going to is top notch. They have always given you good customer service and they are willing to give you a full refund without any issue when you come back to them with an issue over something that you purchased from them. I wish that all shops operated that way. If you are set on keeping the pipe, you may want to ask the store owner who he would recommend to do a stem replacement. He may be able to not only give you a name, but may also be able to help you work out a discount with the person doing the replacement.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
Dave you ARE talking about an estate pipe I assume. If so, I would give it a soak in Oxi clean, and wet sand it with 4000 to 12000 grit pads and then polish it. Whomever restored the pipe did it the quick and easy way out with obsidian stem oil most likely.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
One easy treatment with my yet to be developed OxyPipeStem Treatment before you use your new pipe and all your troubles are prevented! I garontee.

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
Was the pipe new or an estate pipe, puffin? It makes a big difference when asking anyone to back it up. The store has offered to refund your money. If it is an estate pipe, that is all they can do. If it is new, they may have purchased the pipe from a wholesaler and they may complicate the matter also. I totally relate, and think most pipers can, to your frustration about the fact that you really fell for a pipe and then it had problems.

xrundog

Oct 23, 2014
Ames, IA
Yeah, that reads to me like an estate pipe. Instead of doing the work to clean up the oxidation, someone opted to just cover it up. I would attribute that more to ignorance than malfeasance. But one never knows for sure. If it has big tooth marks that would be a deal breaker for me. But it can otherwise be fixed.

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
Simple problem/Simple solution....Taking some liberties here, but I will assume that the pipe was in the store for awhile and that it was either on rack or clip on wall. So you go in look at pipe, buy it and the second you stick it your mouth you are hit with nasty taste and stem turns grey/green in an instant. This not a problem with the pipe,store, or maker! This happened because the pipe sat on the shelf for awhile and got sunlight combined with cigar/pipe smoke clinging to it. It's nasty but it happens. No need for a new stem, unless you would like one. Maybe lucite, and never worry again. Or you could send it out to just be restored. Or as other members have stated that you could do it yourself. Takes me about 15 minutes to fix, and I'm sure there youtube videos out there to walk you through it.

puffndave

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 9, 2015
Mctinner1, that was my first thought after the stem got ugly, that this was a bad estate pipe restoration. I actually thought I was buying an estate pipe, after talking to a shop clerk who appeared to understand what he was talking about. However, both he and the store owner who I also spoke with insisted that it was not an estate. Therefore, I am much interested in anyone else's experience with this make, and others who have pipes with it's finish style. It isn't jet black and shiny like most vulcanite stems are made, but has a flatter, dark brown finish which covers something lighter and nasty-looking underneath.
Question a: Is the owner's claim a probable lie?
Question b: If not, then is it unheard of for vulcanite to be produced in greenish brown (perhaps natural colored?), and then finished over with something?

puffndave

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 9, 2015
Samcoffeeman, the store owner did insist that the pipe was actually new, and that's after I complained.

puffndave

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 9, 2015
No, no, no, no, no - not an estate pipe! So the store owner maintains. Which is why I need to know how common or unusual this problem is with any new pipe which is said to be with a "vulcanite" stem, especially when it never looked like common vulcanite to begin with. This is the first pipe stem which I have ever seen which came in more of a matte finish in dark brown, as opposed to the common jet black and glossy-finish which you know is vulcanite. I thought the stem was really a trendy new acryllic until the clerk inisted that it's vulcanite. Can anyone explain this?

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
puff - vulcanized rubber oxidizes over time, and the oxygen displaces sulfur used in the vulcanization process. Sunlight, and for that matter, UV in fluorescent tubes, speeds up the degradation, which is just Mother Nature trying to take things back to where they were before man got involved. I've had both new and estate pipes do what you describe, and the discoloration is affected by one's individual body chemistry. What you have just eaten and drunk will affect the chemistry too, particularly pH.
I don't consider that discoloration a defect from the factory, but more an attribute. That is one of the reasons some pipers prefer acrylic stems. You can maybe make do by rubbing the stem with Obsidian, or even in a pinch, lip balm like Chapstick.
hp

les
BTW - a couple of my older (but unsmoked) Dunhills do this very thing.

raevans

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 20, 2013
I think that Doc is on to something. If that pipe had been there for a while, it probably picked up all of the smoke from in the shop. If it was displayed in direct light or had sunlight hit it, that would also cause the dull appearance. You may want to give the stem a good cleaning to see if that takes care of it. But, even if you get it nice and shiny again, you can see what will happen again in the future. Vulcanite is great on the mouth and easy to hold with your teeth, but it's a royal pain to keep nice and shiny. It may be worth it to get a Lucite stem made if for no other reason, to spare you the headache of constantly having to clean the stem.

a) I don't think that the shop owner or staff are being dishonest. They have, by your account, a good relationship with you. I don't think that they would risk the business over a pipe that they already offered to give you a full refund on.

b) I have had estate pipes that have had the same thing happen with vulcanite. That is the curse of the material.

xrundog

Oct 23, 2014
Ames, IA
I'm just confused now. Older BC pipes I've had were fitted with normal vulcanite stems. Sure they oxidize over time. What's really got me flummoxed is the black coating you describe. I haven't seen it before.

puffndave

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 9, 2015
Thanks, all you guys, for so much illuminating information!
As I understand the situation now, what happened was not what I thought I was seeing. I thought it looked like a rubbed-on, dark brown compound with a matte finish which otherwise appeared to be pristine, which began washing away with my saliva. It seemed that would be likely because if that stem was really vulcanite, I had never before seen a vulcanite stem with a clean, matte-brown finish before. However, this is not the case, it is poorly-made, or long-exposed vulcanite just breaking down.
The above brings up another question: Is it unusual for good vulcanite in a healthy state to be any color other than shiny jet black, or is the dark matte brown a sign that I shouldn't buy the pipe without being prepared to polish the stem often or replace it?

Status
Not open for further replies.