PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've seen some higher priced pipes with extremely shallow bowls -- tomatoes, bulldogs, Rhodesians and

others. Some of these are beautiful pipes, but I just wonder how good a smoke you can get with just an

inch of depth. Even if the bowl is quite wide, which most of them are not, I wonder how adequate these

very shallow bowls can be? How do your shallow bowl pipes smoke? What's the advantage?

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
Mine stands in front of the mirror all day admiring itself and talks down to everyone. It bases all its opinions on a narrow and self centered view of the world. I'd say it is pretty damn shallow. :wink:
I don't mind wide and shallow, seems to work well for stronger and more complex English blends and also flakes (although it makes a z fold had to load without trimming on bigger flakes). Virginias seem to smoke better in taller bowls but that is just on my limited pipe selection through the years. Some folks have more pipes right now than all mine combined over the last 20 years.

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
If the pipe's ID is equal to the depth I don't think you'll notice it's shallow, sort of like a square load in shotgun theory gives the best results, my Scottie Piersel Stretched Eskimo in Strawberry Wood is .82" deep and .82" wide for the ID and it is a wonderful smoking pipe.
10514382_349282385223372_4365242129513417143_o.jpg

rangerearthpig

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2014
my Scottie Piersel Stretched Eskimo in Strawberry Wood is .82" deep and .82" wide for the ID and it is a wonderful smoking pipe.

Sure it's a nice smoker, but how many Eskimos did they have to kill to make it?

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
I have quite a few princes and apples where the bowls quite shallow, under 1" deep. They smoke great, I actually prefer them to my deeper bowls.

Status
Not open for further replies.