PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

eazye77

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 21, 2012
Have you ever bought a blend that you knew nothing about nor was it suggested? What was it and what did you think? Is it something you buy again or recommend?
Would love to hear your thoughts!

dervis

Lifer
Jan 30, 2012
Hazel Green AL
Trout stream, as I go fishing as much as possible and at the time Anglers dream was out. Dont know if I even read the description just the name. I was lucky in that it is very good and has become a staple for me when I can get my hands on some.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Not that I can recall. I have always done my research (usually at tobaccoreviews) to get an idea of what it might taste like before plunking down my cold hard cash.

tjameson

Lifer
Jun 16, 2012
Suttliffe CD Blend and I honestly can't really recommend it. It might be tasty for someone but its way too light on Latakia to be an English and too aromatic for my tastes. I've smoked about half the tin and after a couple months I went back and tried it the other day and its just not my cup o' tea. That being said its really not a bad blend or bad quality tobacco.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Chonowitsch T-14.
It has burley, VA and Black Cav, with a "woodland aroma" and flavors of "herbs and spices." Sounded really strange (and I love Lakeland tobaccos), so I bought it on a whim. It's an absolutely beautiful tobacco in the tin and apparently made with high-grade leaf, but I really didn't like it. It's an aromatic and it had that chemical/metallic taste that I (and others) get from many aromatics. Overall, the flavor was sort of like brown sugar, mango (i.e., sweet and pine-woodsy) with tobacco flavors. Plus chemicals and metal. I kept it around for a while and eventually tossed it. (Sorry, I wasn't on the Forums, then, and none of my pipe-smoking friends wanted it.)

Dec 24, 2012
Roth, re Wessex blends, you really need to get your hands on some Wessex Campaign Brigade Dark Flake. I personally think it is the best Wessex blend, with Brown Virginia Flake and Gold Brick coming next in line.

Dec 24, 2012
The Wessex Campaign Brigade Dark Flake hasn't been in stock anywhere every time I'm putting a tobacco order together
Well, I may be partially to blame for that, lol. I am finished with that blend, however, so I am not longer The Competition. That stuff sells out really quickly when it comes in though, so you have to have panther like reflexes to get any.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
C & D Evening Rise
The description stated that it was good for keeping mosquitos away, that should have stopped me, but the picture of the trout reeled me in. When I opened it I knew that it would be going on the camping trip - after the guys have a "few" they won't care what it smells like, and maybe it will work on the bugs. It won't be on my re-buy list.
On the other hand, Trout Stream is great - I just have a hard time getting it. I'll try Anglers Dream next time I place an order.

Dec 24, 2012
I see that SP is out of both campaign brigade and brown virginia flake. Not surprised I guess. They will be in soon. Definitely worth getting.
The odd thing is that not everyone (including 4noggins) carries the wessex brown VF - I don't understand why, as it is top notch stuff. If I recall correctly, SP only started carrying the brown VF because Harris told them to.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
McClelland Jubilee
Went to the local Tinder Box to get some supplies and ended up picking up a tin of this as it was one of the few blends they had that wasn't aromatic. It's mostly VA's with some orientals, plus a sprinkling of latakia and a touch of perique. Sounds like a "light English"? Maybe, but I find it to be this really tangy, sweet, soft mixture that is just plain yummy. I'm having some right now, in fact, and have a couple of tins in my "cellar" (I use that term advisedly after seeing peckingpahombre's cellar). In other words, impulse buying worked out well this time.

teufelhund

Lifer
Mar 5, 2013
St. Louis, MO
I do it every time I go to the tobacconist. I just pick up about 2 oz. of a house blend and so far two blends have really become favorites; one called Watson's Choice with a mild vanilla that gradully turns to a hazelnut and a faint honey... Absolutely delicious; and another called Sun and Shade which is a very dynamic combination of blondes and brunettes if you catch my drift... :lol: Happy smoking. :puffy:

Dec 24, 2012
I received an order from P&C in error back in the old days when they cared about Canadian customers (yet they didn't care enough to send me the right order!). The stuff sent in error included 2 tins of cross eyed-cricket from C&D. It is an aromatic (but has Latakia) and is apparently flavored with Rum Punch. Just so you understand how risk averse I am, I wouldn't even try the stuff. I recently gifted both unopened tins to another forum member on here (god bless his soul - I hope he forgives me).

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
LOL Peck, after a few beers at the trailer this weekend who knows, it could become a favourite!!! I'm not holding my breath but I'll try it just for shits & giggles.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Shoot, that's what I did all the time when I started out. Didn't have all these review sites and forums and such like.I wandered into Campbell's in East Lansing, browsed his extensive rang of blends - and bought whatever appealed to me at the moment. :D
(Now, I do my homework first.)

oklansas

Can't Leave
Apr 16, 2013
DC
Peterson Old Dublin. Hated it the first time I tried it. Put it away for a month, tried it again, and whew! Now, I'm a fan.
FMC was one I tired just because the description sounded appealing, was not disapointed there either!

aikatal

Might Stick Around
Apr 10, 2013
I enjoy trying different tobaccos, and have bought lots of tins and many ounces of bulk tobaccos that were completely unfamiliar. Can't say that I've fallen in love with every one of them, but I've discovered a lot that I do like. The most recent one is Peterson Irish Whiskey, which I am enjoying.

Wellington

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 31, 2012
The first few tobaccos I ever bought I had no idea what I was buying, as I had no idea pipe forums existed. The first was a bulk blend from a local shop. It was a few years ago, my first pipe tobacco and I had no clue what the heck I was doing, so I can't even recall the tastes. My taste buds were immature anyway, plus I smoked it like a chimney and let it dry to a crisp.
I bought that again, and then bought a cheap tobacco called David's Blend. I don't even recall what kind of tobaccos were in it, but I actually enjoyed it, but still got little flavour out of it as I also smoked that stuff so hot. The next was that same kind again I think, then I bought a tin of W.Ø. Larsen Old Fashioned. I've never had as bad of tongue bite as I did with the W.Ø. Larsen, but I also abused the crap out of it. I froze it multiple times, accidentally let it dry out way too much a few times, rehydrated it - and to top it off, also smoked it way too fast. I'm going to be ordering another tin of it, I remember loving the smell, and now that I know how to smoke a pipe 'properly' and pack better, I want to see what flavour it really has. Towards the end of that tin was when I started smoking more regularly.

I also have bought a tin of Brigham Yacht Club without having a clue what it was like, and it wasn't bad at all, a little citrusy for my taste.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I'm a risk taker too, and get burned more than half the time -- mostly because I actually believe the tin descriptions! :oops:

This isn't to say that I dislike half of all the tobacco I buy :lol: but merely half of all the "shots in the dark" that I take.
But if I wasn't such an impetuous shopper buyer, I would never have discovered 4noggins Prairie Wind and Weybridge,

as well as Two Friends Valle Crucis -- all excellent blends well below most people's radar.
Those blends that never made the grade are now in jars waiting for my tastes to change.

I keep them because I don't have to bare the expense of feeding them.

durham270

(Bailey's Briar)
Jan 30, 2013
Kentucky
I've always been somewhat of a risk taker but anymore I read all reviews concerning tobacco blends from various forums. Even some of those reviews can be so sugar coated they leave me still wondering or in doubt.
The first pipe and tobacco I ever purchased was a MM Legend Cob and a package of Capt. Black White. Both I'd highly recommend to this day. I started with smoking aromatics. From this humble beginning I wanted to try something else so searching the internet I first ran across Chief Catoonah's site. Very nice gentleman who I spoke with on the phone for quite some time and he put me on the right path! His Sugar Hollow blend is amazing in an aromatic. One of the best English blends I'd recommend is his Princess Street Mixture which won the 2012 John Cotton 1&2 Tobacco Throwdown competition.

Status
Not open for further replies.