PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

naytandova

Lurker
May 23, 2019
Hey everyone, I don't actually smoke, I'm an Antique Collector!
Naturally how could I not one day stumble across a marvelous pipe or two on my travels. I have a few I may be needing help on in the future but for now this is the instrument that's stumped me. Here's my knowledge on it:
I think it is early 19th century (not conclusive), I believe it to be German (also not conclusive). I have done research on Porcelain Pipes and am aware that they are likely none of your favourite practical pipes haha. But for the work of art that it is how can it not be appreciated. It is hexagonal and the type of gilding dates it to prior to 1870 at least. I read about these pipes often depicting national celebs and politicians but nowadays these are hard to pin down.
So how rare are these pipes. I do want to sell it but I understand if your forum hold back from valuations. If you know any leads I can follow to learn more specifically that'd be great or if you can pass me on to a porcelain pipe expert, brilliant!
Thanks and all the best

Nathan

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Porcelain pipes in general were (and maybe still are) made in quantity more as decor pieces than regular smokers, or that's my impression. There may be some cadre of collectors that will pay well for specific pieces, but most of them, I'd guess, are not valuable except modestly as wall hangings. Definitely worth exploring, but not with high expectations unless yours is unique.

naytandova

Lurker
May 23, 2019
It's not your average mud-diggers pipe. I know a little about the pipe, was hoping to find out whether its worth £100 or £10,000, I wish haha. There is somewhat of a rift when it comes to high-end porcelain pipes and past sales.
http://pipesmagazine.com/members/naytandova/album/picture/31712

davet

Lifer
May 9, 2015
Estey's Bridge N.B Canada
img_20190521_1329141-450x600.jpg

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Once your photos are on a photo hosting site (such as Imgur.com; Postimage; Dropbox, etc. Photobucket), or on virtually any site, including this site's album such as eBay; Amazon Pinterest; Facebook; an online Pipe retailer; you-name-it, select the full sized image, then Control-click (Mac) or Right-click (Windows) on the image itself, then choose "copy image location" or similar words. Now paste that URL (the full web address, which should end in .jpg or .png) into the IMG box in the reply window of the thread you're posting to.
The site's album is also a good choice for displaying photos, and the same method works for obtaining the image's URL for copying into the IMG box.
There are other good illustrations and steps on how to post photos under "Latest Discussions" in different formats:

LINK to that thread

ron123

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 28, 2015
Park Ridge, IL
I've collected pipes for a long time, and I don't personally know anyone that collects these kind of pipes. TBH, the value of your time that you spent to set up an account to ask about this, is probably worth more than you'll get for this, but for your sake, I hope I'm wrong. List it on ebay, and let us know...I don't recall many if any conversations on this forum about these types of pipes, so I don't think any of us will be able to tell you what it's really worth. Your best bet might be to list it on ebay and see what it fetches.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
I've seen a few examples like that one online. I would have guessed late 19th century, but I'm curious what the gilding tells you about the age.
Not many people smoke porcelain pipes anymore, so collecting interest is geared mainly toward briar and meerschaum (which is what most people smoke). I'm not an expert in these pipes, but I would venture it's worth more like 100 GBP than 1,000. But even then you'd want to find a collector who specializes in 19th-c. and/or porcelain pipes. It could potentially sell for very little on ebay, for example.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
This page might help: http://tobaccopipeartistory.blogspot.com/2015/05/the-european-porcelain-tobacco-pipe.html
So would this book: https://www.amazon.com/European-Porcelain-Tobacco-Pipe-Illustrated/dp/0764346466

ryeguy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 4, 2017
From the picture, it doesn't look like real gilding. The artwork doesn't look all that exquisite to me (again, though, the picture isn't especially good.)
Unless there is something unique about it, I'd imagine you are looking at 100 rather than 10,000. Not having a stem can't help the value.
As others have noted, porcelain pipes are of purely antiquarian interest these days. So contemporary pipe enthusiasts, as such, probably won't be much help.

naytandova

Lurker
May 23, 2019
On the gilding, around 1870 is when this kind of matte gold gilding started to die out and a mirror-like gilding came into use. That's not definitive, its more just a field tip I use.
I'd definitely be wary with something like this on eBay, it is the kind of thing that goes for scraps often. It sounds like a brilliant idea to ask the Pipe Museum in Amsterdam, I will certainly do that.
I didn't realise porcelain where so rarely used still. The only one like mine I have seen for sale went for £7000 at a high end auction in London, but that doesn't really reflect this as it was a good step up in quality.
Thanks for the help though, everyone, its good to know there's such a vocal forum I can ask for help with Meerschaum and other pipes.

Status
Not open for further replies.