How Old When You Smoked Your First Pipe?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dispatch

Might Stick Around
May 11, 2011
How old were your when you smoked your first pipe and what pipe was it? :puffpipe:

tiltjlp

Can't Leave
Apr 9, 2011
Cheviot Ohio
I was almost 12 1/2 on June 1, 1959, when my dad brought home a corncob pipe, a pipe nail, bunches of pipe cleaners, and a tub of Carter Hall for me. Then he sat down and showed me the proper way to pack, light, and tamp a pipe. I wish I had that pipe still, but at least I still enjoy Carter Hall. And I still use every bit of advice my dad gave me nearly 52 years ago.

puffy

Lifer
Dec 24, 2010
North Carolina
When I was 29 years old..I bought my first pipe in a smoke shop located in a shopping mall in Ann Arbor Michigan.It was a Savinelli Hercules.It had a bowl with 8 sides,and a square shank.I also bought some Lane Ltd. Black Cavendish to smoke in it.I remember that day very clearly,and it will very soon be 40 years ago.It doesn't seem possible that so many years have gone by since then.I've definitely got more years behind me than I have ahead of me.I hope that I've learned enough about pipes and tobacco though to really enjoy the coming years..By the way..I didn't keep that pipe a long time.I soon realized that I don't care for big heavy pipes.

openbook

Lurker
May 6, 2011
Great story baskerville! I smoked my first pipe at 18. I had had a hankering for it for a few years, but my mother would never allow it around the house, and I had no desire to smoke like a fugitive. Goes against the spirit of smoking a pipe in the first place. So it was when I'd just left home and established myself as a young cadet in the Navy, stationed in Newport, RI. I hitched a ride to a smoke shop two miles away and walked back with a little brown bag of treasure that only cost me $40--it was a little Dr. Grabow, a Czech tool, a wad of pipe cleaners, and 2 oz. of a house blend aromatic tobacco.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
I was in the 5th or 6th grade when I asked my Dad if I could have a couple of puffs.

After the first my head was swimming and I tried to climb down from his lap.

He said: "Whoa... Where you going? You still have another puff coming.... :D

gecko13

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 2, 2011
Goodyear,AZ
I was about 2-3 years old when I grabbed up my dads pipe. There is a picture someplace of me standing in a diaper with dad's pipe. (unlit of course.) My real first smoking experience was whan I was about 12 and I made a corn cob pipe from some cobs left over from supper.

docrx

Jan 9, 2011
I was 17 or 18 and it was a grabow viking with some borkum riff tobacco

colorduke

Mar 5, 2011
I'm guessing i was 13 or 14,my friend and i bought mm cobs at a local store and a pouch of true blue smoke or chew.

longshot

Might Stick Around
May 16, 2011
I had a few corn cobs as a kid, we had picked up at the local Thrifty's drug store, where my dad would buy his tobacco. Also I had a few hits on different pipes, a couple times, over my teen years but I didn't offically smoke a pipe of my own until my early 20's. I'm guessing 22 or 23...

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I was probably either 18 or 19. I know it was right after the third Lord Of The Rings movie came out. Headed to a local B&M after seeing the last one in theaters and got myself a churchwarden, like Gandalf, and some black cherry house blended tobacco. Been off and on for years, but last year or two I've been smoking pretty weekly if not daily.

ivan08

Might Stick Around
Sep 2, 2010
I was 28. now I have 30; all was curiosity after I saw a book about pipes in Borders. Then I order a Brindisi pipe online. When the pipe reach my mail I ran to a tobacco shop here to buy vanilla, cherry and hazelnut house blends. Then I get a little lost and ran to Borders again to buy the book... Hehehe

ivan08

Might Stick Around
Sep 2, 2010
Before all of that I was an occasional cigar smoker; about 2 per month..

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
Here are the results from our survey last year. I haven't had a chance to finish the report in the nice format I want to present it, but here is a screen cap of that page.
age-started-smoking-pipe.jpg

jcsnaps

Lifer
Oct 18, 2010
I was 16, the pipe was a really cool looking blue swirl Hilson Fantasia, and the smoke was Cherry Blend.

collin

Oct 29, 2010
Oklahoma
I was about 15 when I tried my first pipe. A cob and some box of cherry flavored tobacco. Seems like I remember either puking or wishing I could.
I'd be a little more interested to know how old you were when you took up the pipe as your regular smoke.

I was about 53.

collin

Oct 29, 2010
Oklahoma
Well,...I hope and trust a lot of great things have happened in the last two and a half years, Kevin! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.