PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

smokeytay33

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 29, 2013
Hey all,
I was at a shop today and I always keep an eye out for vintage tobacco tins to collect. One of them was really cheap and still had all the tobacco left, so I got it. I opened it up and the tobacco is from 1969! I know aged tobacco is supposed to be really good, and I have heard at pipe shows that some people open tins from 30 years ago. How old is too old? The tobacco is dried up, but still in the plastic, untouched, and in a sealed tin. If I move it to a jar with a water pillow on the stop, would it help? Any thoughts? Please let me know what you think! Thanks in advance.

May 31, 2012
It all depends on a lot of different variables really...
...Virginias are said to fare the best, gaining more sweetness with age, with reports of 80 year old stuff being divine, I think Turkish pretty much remains the same, Latakia can lose its kick or oomph and go over-the-hill, but still provide a unique experience, I recently found some old Dobie's #7 Blend and the Lat was ghostly yet added a certain subtle rumbling thunder in the background...contrary to many reports, I personally think that a quality Burley gains depth with age...
...the container often can dictate how the bacca has fared, whether or not it has kept its seal over the years.
Dry tobacco can most certainly be rehydrated, but in most cases once the "essential oils" have evaporated or whatever, the blend is only a shadow of its former fresh self...
...that said, I've enjoyed a good bit of old dried tobacco after rehydration and find the effort to be worth the trouble.
I prefer to use the bowl with wet towel on top rehydration technique, as this has fared well for me.
What was the blend or brand you found?
Any pix?
I love the romance of the old stuff!
Congrats on the supercool find!
:puffy: :puffpipe: :puffy: :puffpipe: :puffy: :puffpipe: :puffy:

:puffpipe: :puffy: :puffpipe: :puffy: :puffpipe: :puffy: :puffpipe:

jgriff

Can't Leave
Feb 20, 2013
It depends of course. I still wouldn't suggest a 1969 tub of Mixture 79 but if it was Balkan Sobranie there would be people offering their first born children for it.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
You don't say what the blend is. I subscribe to a method used by Rich Esserman for reviving dry, aged tobacco. Mix it with a fresh tin of the same or some other,complimentary blend. And as far as how old it too old. I was able to enjoy a pipeful of a 1948 vintage can of Edgeworth Ready Rubbed back in 1995. It was, of course, rather dry but smoked very well. A memorable smoke.
Mike S.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
(OyVeyBay link)

mUArYr6U4uCzD5071jb7jkA.jpg

You have another chance....

smokeytay33

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 29, 2013
I did fail to mention what the blend was, and I apologize. It is Amphora naturally aromatic. Since it was so cheap, I picked it up. I appreciate all the feedback. I have learned a lot from you all so far. Thank you. Please keep posting any thoughts you may have.

sfsteves

Lifer
Aug 3, 2013
SF Bay Area
If I were to find a tin of Three Nuns of that vintage, I'd be all over it ... my best guess is that there will be a limit as to how much re-hydration can be achieved, but if it were me, my inclination would be to take it slow and easy on that process ...

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
If you want to sample your find now, fill a pipe, place your kisser over the bowl and breathe some humidity into it. This will give you some idea of what you've got without the wait.
Mike S.

smokeytay33

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 29, 2013
I did smoke it in it's "as is" condition. It actually wasn't bad. It still had some good flavor to it. It did bite, however. I think I will use the pillow to hydrate it, since I am not in any rush. Again, thank you all for your input. Keep sharing experiences and/or tips. I love to read them and I appreciate it. I will keep you posted about the re-hydrating process.
:puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.