How old is this Robert McConnell Oriental?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

snowyowl

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2015
I bought a tin of Robert McConnell "The Original Oriental Pipe Tobacco" through a tobacco retailer at list price.
Interesting tin and contents:

1. No health warning sticker on other side of the tin

2. Possibly older art work (limited by a straight line)

3. Distributor info does contain the zip code

4. The lining paper was stained through on top and a layer of tobacco was 'glued' to the underside.

(a little leaf can adhere to the lining, I know, but it is easily flicked off; see photo)
This last thing is something I've only encountered on 10-20 year old tins that I purchased knowing the age and paid accordingly.
Can any more experienced folks than me (just about everyone here) offer their opinions on the age of this stuff... or am I just blowing smoke.

Thanks.

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
That is current production. Just got 10 tins a few weeks ago, dead ringers. Looks like the newer, bolder yellow, with the weight sticker (added a few years ago), and if on the back it says "Made in Germany" and "US Importer Arango Cigar Co", it's current. Every tin of McConnell Oriental I have ever opened had the leaf stuck to the paper. Rejoice, Oriental is a wonderful blend. Let the tin age a year or two and let the latakia fade a little, and it is phenomenal.

Reactions: Toast
Status
Not open for further replies.