PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pig140

Lurker
May 17, 2013
I just won a Peterson 303 on ebay and now I'm curious as to how old it is. I know Peterson dating is difficult, so I'm not looking for a year, just maybe the nearest decade. It has a P-lip stem and I believe a plain metal/Nickel band - there are no silver hallmarks. It says Republic of Ireland, making it after 1949. However, the "P" in Peterson System Standard looks odd. It looks like a normal P with a split bottom - like this...
http://pipedia.org/images/7/77/Encl3_forkPb-thumb.jpg
The little stem on the top left of the P is not there tho. I read about some Peterson "retros" from the 70's having that, but they're supposed to have a silver band. Mine doesn't. Any ideas?
Here is a pic...

gwtwdbss

Lifer
Jun 13, 2012
Looks like a 1950 plus to me.
http://pipephil.eu/logos/en/infos/peterson-timechart.html
Unless the band is silver then I doubt it is Hallmarked. Your pipe is a System Standard so It is really hard to tell the age. This guide is a decent reference for the silver banded pipes.

gwtwdbss

Lifer
Jun 13, 2012
If you do have a hallmarked pipe in the future, be sure to buy a magnifying glass as in the case of my 302 Penzance pipe, The hallmarking is extremely small.

pig140

Lurker
May 17, 2013
That's what has me confused. As I said in my original post, it's obviously not silver and I knew it was 1949 or after because of the "Republic of Ireland". But doesn't the old "P" for Peterson date it around a certain decade? If it's the "retro" version as some of the dating sites suggest based on the "P" in the stamp, it's supposed to have silver. So could this just be a "retro" that they didn't use silver?

Status
Not open for further replies.