PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mphstteach

Lurker
Jul 29, 2014
West Virginia
Hey guys,

I have been smoking a pipe daily for about a month now, never more than 1 or 2 bowls a day, but today I found myself smoking 3 and I must say I feel a little out of sorts, just a little funky I guess I would call it. I know everybody is different but what would you say is normal for a noob to smoke? I truly don't even know if the 3rd bowl contributed to this sickly feeling or just coming down with something, just curious.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I do not believe there is a "normal" for the number of bowls. It probably depends on your constitution, what's in your belly, the blends, and a number of other items. I smoke 8 to 12 bowls a day when at home. Less in the field and more cigarettes. Just smoke what you are comfortable with and enjoy.
There are no rules or norms, or very few, when it comes to the pipe. It's a personal experience.

forest7

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 8, 2014
Used to smoke 1 or 2 bowls before but there are too many kinds of tobaccos so smoke 4 to 5 bowls this days.

mphstteach

Lurker
Jul 29, 2014
West Virginia
Thanks for the feedback, it was a new blend, a cherry cavendish, maybe I just don't handle that particular blend well or something along those lines

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Cherry Cavendish wouldn't set so well with me either, though some love it, all day. With an aromatic, I doubt it's nicotine that got you. You just have to tune your bowls to your own constitution. One or two bowls sound good. I'd try some mild non-aromatic, or lightly vanilla flavored aro.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
Back in the day, a lot of codgers smoked constantly all day. No sooner did they dump the dottle from one bowl, they filled it again and lit up. If you're after nicotine and don't inhale, that's really the only way you'll get the comparable nic hit as from cigarettes.
Given that the health risk of pipe smoking goes up with each bowl, if that's a concern, you might want to keep it to a minimum. Otherwise, it's your life, if you're an adult you can smoke as much as you want.

mihailo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 1, 2016
NW Indiana
With my little knowledge of the hobbie, I'd say just do whatever is comfortable to oneself, I myself only have two or so bowls a week.

mphstteach

Lurker
Jul 29, 2014
West Virginia
I don't smoke it for the nicotine really at all to be honest, I even smoke Kinnick Kinnick alot which has zero tobacco. I just love the taste and relaxation of a good bowl, that cherry tore me up though lol. I will stick to what I know I like, Dunhill nightcap and Viking William the Conqueror are my top 2 right now

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
I've always wondered about that. Sometimes a single bowl will last half the day, because something comes up and I have to stop, deal with whatever, then returned to the bowl and relight her. On other days, when there's nothing to deal with other than procrastinate work on a story, 5-8 bowls. (This last isn't helped by insomnia.) I often wonder if a large amount of smoking my aromatics is due to chain smoking cigarettes for years before quitting and taking up the pipe. Today, I don't think I could puff a nail unless it came with a substantial portion of money. So I would say I smoak about 6-8 bowls a day.

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
I think it's highly subjective and personal. I might go 7-10 days without a bowl. Sometimes I might have 3-4 bowls in a day. Depends on my mood and what's happening in my life at the time. I know there are guys that smoke all day, everyday and some who only smoke 1-2 bowls a week. So just enjoy it when the feeling strikes and if you're not enjoying it let it go out and wait until another time. Depending on how long that is and the blend, you may even end up with a great smoke - search DGT to understand that part. :puffy:

mphstteach

Lurker
Jul 29, 2014
West Virginia
I don't have second thoughts about smoking, I guess what I was asking was just a consensus on what a person experiences. It seems that, for me, after reading all this I am not a smoke all day guy lol. I enjoy it with coffee in the morning and latakia at night while I read and work on my next book. That cherry I smoked a few days ago just turned my stomach something awful

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I don't smoke as much as I'd like to. I'm always thinking about smoking and I smoke every chance I get. Weekdays is usually 3-6 bowls if I'm lucky and weekends I shoot for 6-10.

Status
Not open for further replies.