Tags:  No tags yet. 

How Often to Smoke

(42 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by blueyedattorney1
  • Latest reply from mrfus
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

blueyedattorney1

Login to Send PM

I'm new to pipe smoking and even though at first this may be a dumb question since smoking is a personal preference, I thought it would be interesting to start a discussion . Today while walking my dog I lit up the pipe. After getting home, about 40 min later, I felt the urge to fill another bowl. That's when I started thinking... How does this compare to smoking a pack of cigarettes. I don't want to smoke 4 bowls in a day and that be equal to a pack of smokes. I understand your not inhaling into lungs and all that, but wanted to gage how often others are smoking. Love this forum and cheers to all. -Jeff

Posted 5 years ago #
  2. petes03

petes03

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Smoke em' if you got em'! Myself, I normally smoke at least one bow a day on my work days, and up to six or seven on my off days. The main thing is to be comfortable with the amount you smoke.

Posted 5 years ago #
  3. jgriff

jgriff

Login to Send PM

It also depends on what you're smoking. If I smoke a OTC, then I could probably smoke it all day. A big bowl of a strong flake and I usually take a long break. There are a number of old codgers that started a pipe with their coffee and put it down at bedtime.

Most days, I can usually only squeeze a single bowl in due to scheduling but on an off-day with no wife & kids around, I may smoke 6-7 bowls in a day.

Posted 5 years ago #
  4. irish

Gary

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I am like Peteso3. At work I can't smoke and our breaks on the rig on not log enough to smoke a bowl so I don't even try at work. I usually smoke one to two bowls in the evening relaxing on the porch or in my shop, but on the weekends or my days off, I smoke as much I as want and as many bowls as I can!!

and BTW welcome to the forum!!

Posted 5 years ago #
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

blueyedattorney1

Login to Send PM

Thanks for response. Then I'm "normal" and don't feel bad for smoking 6 bowls last sat when the wife was gone. Lol. How do I find members in northern virginia? Is there a search I can do within this site. Ps. Smoked the Peterson 2013 aromatic special reserve this morning; nice light flavor. I would not rush out to buy it but since holiday around the corner it was a nice blend to smoke. You need to smoke it really slow

Posted 5 years ago #
  6. bobpnm

bobpnm

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Welcome to the forum blue eyed! You will find that some smoke all day long and others smoke a few times a week or even a few times a month! Every one is different. You will figure out what works for you. Enjoy! That's all that matters!

Posted 5 years ago #
  7. murf

murf

Login to Send PM

I can be all over the place. Some weeks, I have 5-10 bowls. Others might be one. For the past month, I haven't had a smoke at all. It might be even longer than that, actually. I started running 3x/week back in Sept. My desire to have a pipe almost went out the window. And now with the weather around me trying to get into winter, I'm having some minor health issues too. Once everything freezes, I'm fine. Oh, and I've had a chest cold for the past week that I can't seem to shake. So smoking for me as of the past month is out of the question. But, all my pipes have gotten a good, deep clean; along with the bowls and stems all polished up!

Back to the OP, smoke the amount that's comfortable for you. In my case, there are a number of factors that dictate how much I can smoke (not including current health). Being a stay-at-home dad doesn't give me much opportunity. And if I smoke at night, I need to make sure I shower before bed, or it bothers my wife.

Currently, I would be content with 2-3 bowls/week. That's been the perfect balance for me in the past

Posted 5 years ago #
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

shutterbugg

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I smoke one bowl in the evening max. That's the limit I set for myself.

Posted 5 years ago #
  9. mrjerke

JJ Pipes

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I get 1-2 bowls in at night after work days. Weekends I try to get 2-4 in if I can. Lately I've been doing a couple pipes during the day and an evening cigar.

Jordan

"The trick is to enjoy life. Don't wish away your days, waiting for better ones ahead." - Marjorie Pay Hinckley
    Posted 5 years ago #
  10. gothicmace

gothicmace

Login to Send PM

I smoke several bowls a day.... everything from some great blends from Hearth&Home to OTC blends like SWR or Half n Half. I like daybreak from H & H in the morning... gives me my nic fix.... I am a pack a day smoker who is now down to having one pack last three days. At work I just fill up my country gentleman cob with my blend for the day.. go out on break... have a few puffs.. and then relight it at lunch and in the afternoon and then finish it up on my short drive home. But... I know the feeling of finishing a bowl and you want more... so do what I do.. HAVE MORE
    Mike

It's not what you gain in life that is important
    It's what you share in life that matters.
    Posted 5 years ago #
  11. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Another factor is the size of the bowl. My "work" or out of doors pipes are generally on the small side, giving 30 to 40 minutes of smoking. I probably average 8 bowls a day or so. I work for myself and smoke as I must.

A man without a shillelagh is a man without an expedient.
    Posted 5 years ago #
  12. sfsteves

sfsteves

Well Aged

Login to Send PM

Mark Twain
    As an example to others, and not that I care for
    moderation myself, it has always been my rule
    never to smoke when asleep, and never to refrain
    from smoking when awake.

SteveS
    de gustibus non est disputandum

"If there is no smoking in Heaven, I shall not go." - Mark Twain
    Posted 5 years ago #
  13. cmdrmcbragg

cmdrmcbragg

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'll be getting in plenty of smoke over the next five days ... that I'm OFF! Plus it will be mild weather in the 50's. Perfect for smoking outside. Looking forward to putting a dent in my open containers and binge watching some NetFlix.

Posted 5 years ago #
  14. kashmir

kashmir

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I smoke pipe throughout the day. About a pound a month, which translates to about six to ten bowls a day. Been doing this about 30 years now. Never felt better. I've never felt more sure of the road I'm on. Course, I walk a lot. About 25 miles a week. Got a big dog that needs daily walking. Sometimes I'll smoke as I walk. Lunting, as its called. I figure I enjoy both walking and piping, so why not indulge in both. I see them as two sides of the same coin.

The pipe eases you into the present moment - savor your pipe & you'll savor this moment.
    Posted 5 years ago #
  15. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I like to smoke enough to enjoy, but little enough so that if I take a day off, because I'm busy or just
    because I feel like it, it doesn't affect my mood. That's my gauge.

Posted 5 years ago #
  16. hammerhorror

hammerhorror

Login to Send PM

I typically have one bowl a day - it's my meditation time

Posted 5 years ago #
  17. av8scuba

av8scuba

Login to Send PM

I average about 2 bowls per day in the evening for relaxation. But there may be days I don't smoke at all (very few) and there are days I have 6 or 7. It just depends on my schedule, the weather, or what pipe/tobacco I have with me at the moment.

Just find what works for you and go for it. It is all about enjoyment and relaxation.

Posted 5 years ago #
  18. judcole

Jud

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

1 to 4 bowls a day, depending on various conditions. I consider 3 a normal day.

How does this compare to smoking a pack of cigarettes.

Remember that nails are loaded down with all kinds of chemicals, which increase your health risks.

Thought in the early morning, solace in time of woes,
    Peace in the hush of the twilight, balm ere my eyelids close
    Rudyard Kipling
    Posted 5 years ago #
  19. User has not uploaded an avatar

doctoronln9

Login to Send PM

Remember that nails are loaded down with all kinds of chemicals, which increase your health risks.

Agreed. I'd smoke a pack of cigarettes on a Saturday night out and wake up feeling like death. I can smoke down five bowls and two cigars in a day, and feel perfectly fine in the morning.

I smoke a bowl a day when at home. When I'm doing yard work or out and about, it can easily hit five.

Posted 5 years ago #
  20. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I usually smoke 4-5 bowls a day and have a pipe going most of the time I am awake. Smoking a pipe is nothing like smoking cigarettes as you are not inhaling pipe tobacco plus the pipe tobacco does not have any of the nasty chemicals that cigarettes do.

Harris
    Posted 5 years ago #
  21. brdavidson

brdavidson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I load a pipe on my coffee break in the morning, then smoke that for 10-15 minutes, then again at lunch time. At the end of the day if there's anything left I'll smoke it on the way home. I would say I average a bowl a day and maybe three a day on the weekend depending on weather (lately with this cold snap I'm lucky if I get one bowl in). In the summer I smoke more as it's more convenient. I will agree with whoever said it also depends on what you smoke. If I know I'm going to be smoking more I'll typically smoke mostly OTC's like Carter Hall as the nicotine is negligible in those blends. Then maybe at the end of the day I'll treat myself to something premium like SG Best Brown Flake or Capstan.

Posted 5 years ago #
  22. rmbittner

rmbittner

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I tend to smoke in the 3-5 bowls a day range. When it's possible, though, I absolutely do smoke more. I don't typically smoke on the weekends, though.

I've known folks, though, who smoked 12-15 bowls a day. And I have read that Einstein virtually always had his pipe with him -- pretty much from the moment he got out of bed till the moment he went to sleep at night. I'm sure he's not alone in that regard.

For me, there's no similarity with cigarettes whatsoever. Cigarette consumption -- or inhaling in general -- creates a physical dependency that is never the case with cigars or pipes that are not inhaled. While some truly enjoying smoking cigarettes, I think everyone who is smoking a pipe is doing it simply because they enjoy it -- the act of smoking, the aroma, the flavors, the companionship of pipe in hand. No one is smoking a pipe because they physically need it. (Keep in mind, I'm talking about the vast majority of pipe smokers who do not inhale.)

Welcome to the hobby!

Bob

Posted 5 years ago #
  23. tamer291

tamer291

Login to Send PM

Welcome to the forum Jeff.
    I will usually have 1 bowl on my work days and I will try to have 2-4 on my weekends. Like many others have mentioned there is no comparison to cigarettes. In my opinion, your feeling of needing to smoke another bowl is not the need for more nicotine, like cigarettes. Rather you are wanting the enjoyment of the taste and the relaxation associated with pipe smoking. Sometimes I go several days without smoking a pipe just because I do not have the time.

Posted 5 years ago #
  24. mathoozula

mathoozula

Login to Send PM

Being a newbie myself, I am trying to get off cigarettes and just enjoy my pipe. I would say that 4 bowls a day would be optimal for me to smoke if I was trying to replace my cigarettes. Thats about all I could fit in with smoking on my breaks and I have yet to find a high nicotine content tobacco that suits my needs just yet.

However, it would seem that 1-2 bowls a day would be my average if I wasn't addicted.

Blueyedattorney1, good to see another attorney on the forums. WVU College of Law class of 2003 here.

Posted 5 years ago #
  25. samanden

samanden

Login to Send PM

I probably get in about 5-7 bowls a week; roughly one a day. I wish I could smoke more, but with small children in the house I'm forced outside even in the cold. We're saving for a house and my wife promised that I will be able to have a finished attic or basement for my pipe smoking. Ah, something to live for....

~Slow and steady wins the taste.
    Posted 5 years ago #
  26. User has not uploaded an avatar

floridapiper

Login to Send PM

I'm new at this also, blue eyes, and have often wondered the same thing. I'm recently divorced and trying to work it out with my ex. Needless to say this lends me extra time than the average married man. I try to smoke at least one bowl a day. Often two. On a day off maybe three. I'm still trying to find my ideal tobacco, which makes a big difference. Recently I've been smoking Metropolitain from Sutliff and have loved it! With this ultra smooth aromatic I can smoke three or four bowls in one sitting!

You and I will ease in to a groove as we progress, I figure. I see no problem, with an enjoyable tobacco, to smoke one or two bowls on a work day and four or five on a day off!

Pipe on!

Posted 5 years ago #
  27. henryp

henryp

Login to Send PM

Hey Blue,

I guess I'm Abby Normal in that I smoke only several times a week, and aros at that.

I do favor lats in the fall, my brother gave me some Northwoods that was really good, smooth and smoky. My go to is Wilkes #191, just a really nice vanilla taste now that I've jarred it for a half year. I have a '13 Peterson's Christmas that smokes wonderfully, lots of cinnamon and clove.

Anyway, I find I smoke more when I visit this site, it's incentive to try new tobaccos.

Good smokin to you.

The Whole Problem with the World is Fools and Fanatics are so certain of themselves, and Wiser People so Full of Doubts - Bertrand Russell
    Posted 5 years ago #
  28. easydraw

easydraw

Login to Send PM

This last weekend I was like a freight train!! Was having fun working in my shop just having a ball, kept finding myself wishing the bowl on my meer was bigger than it was and wishing I had a beer frig in the shop as well. But I'd just dump out the ash and repack and carry on and bring acouple more beers out as well. It's all in the mood your in is my thinking.

Man can not live on bread alone.... Unless you lock him in a cage and thats all you feed him!
    Posted 5 years ago #
  29. pipeherman

pipeherman

Login to Send PM

Every waking moment!

Posted 5 years ago #
  30. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Since I don't work in a building, about three bowls a day driving my rig, sometimes a small bowl at bedtime, and 1 or 2 on the weekends.

Posted 5 years ago #
  31. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

dupe post.

Posted 5 years ago #
  32. johnnyiii

johnnyiii

Login to Send PM

Personally I think Jeff quit reading this thread about half way through it, but the thread must go on.

Welcome JEFF. .

Asking us a question like that Jeff is like asking what is our favorite classic car. If you REALLY want to get them going ask them for a recommendation on a pipe.

BTW I left Northern VA after, 911, anthrax in the mail, then malvoy snipers. Moved to the country where they only shoot at you if your in the woods not wearing orange. Unless there is a prison break, then they will shoot at you then too.

I humbly reserve the right to post an intuitive thought here ... When ONE comes to mind.
    Posted 5 years ago #
  33. nsfisher

nsfisher

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

6- 10 bowls a day, will get you there mate.

If at first you don't succeed, have another bowl.
    Posted 5 years ago #
  34. doctorthoss

doctorthoss

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Im usually in the 3 to 5 bowls per day range. As an ex-cig smoker, however, that can be flexible and depends on what I'm smoking. I enjoy a pipe, sure, but I (like most pipe smokers I've known) smoke for the nicotine. I don't inhale, opting instead to buy higher octane blends (Old Joe Krantz is my daily standby). It's a great way to get my nicotine fix and it's a lot more enjoyable (and hopefully healthier) than the cigarettes.
    I've known guys who smoke only a couple of bowls per week, and some who smoked pretty much all day (10 or more bowls), so I doubt there's really a "normal" amount. I would also had that my physician told me that he wasn't worried about the health impact of pipe smoking so long as I smoked two bowls per day or less. More than that, he said, could be hazardous but still not statistically on par with cigarette smoking. I don't know where he got his information so I can't vouch for it, but I figured I'd toss it out there.

"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgment. For even the wise cannot see all ends. -- J.R.R. Tolkien
    Posted 5 years ago #
  35. doctorthoss

doctorthoss

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Im usually in the 3 to 5 bowls per day range. As an ex-cig smoker, however, that can be flexible and depends on what I'm smoking. I enjoy a pipe, sure, but I (like most pipe smokers I've known) smoke for the nicotine. I don't inhale, opting instead to buy higher octane blends (Old Joe Krantz is my daily standby). It's a great way to get my nicotine fix and it's a lot more enjoyable (and hopefully healthier) than the cigarettes.
    I've known guys who smoke only a couple of bowls per week, and some who smoked pretty much all day (10 or more bowls), so I doubt there's really a "normal" amount. I would also had that my physician told me that he wasn't worried about the health impact of pipe smoking so long as I smoked two bowls per day or less. More than that, he said, could be hazardous but still not statistically on par with cigarette smoking. I don't know where he got his information so I can't vouch for it, but I figured I'd toss it out there.

Posted 5 years ago #
  36. User has not uploaded an avatar

billypm

Login to Send PM

I'll add the comment that the poster who said that if one doesn't inhale then one cannot be addicted is mistaken. We all know that nicotine is being administered in our pipes, albeit less efficiently than with cigs, and in proportion to the strength of our chosen blends. Smoke a group 6 bowl of 1792 or Irish Flake and tell me you're not getting any vitamin N.

I try, now that I'm off cigarettes, to follow the lead of the wise poster who said (and I paraphrase) that he doesn't smoke so much that he becomes cranky or anxious when he doesn't. Good yardstick for those of us who are concerned about the addiction angle. I gotta say, though-- if you're gonna be hooked on nicotine PIPES are the way to do it!

Posted 5 years ago #
  37. piperl12

piperl12

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Well I don't know about addiction, I smoke 4/5 bowels per day but I can take a two week break to no effect. Been smoking a pipes 20 years.

Posted 5 years ago #
  38. stbruno70

stbruno70

Login to Send PM

Welcome to the forums.

As you can see, there are as many opinions as there are pipes.

I usually smoke only a few times a week as my wife hates it. However, since she is now away for a few weeks, I am now smoking 2 to 3 bowls a day. If I smoke more through the day, my tongue becomes sore and I really cannot taste the baccy any longer.

Mason,Vice President
    Golden Gate Pipe Club
    Posted 5 years ago #
  39. carcosa

carcosa

Login to Send PM

Everything in moderation and you should never have any health problems... once and rarely twice a day works for me...

Posted 5 years ago #
  40. carcosa

carcosa

Login to Send PM

Also dont puff the hell out of your pipe... take your time, it is less harsh on your mouth...

Posted 5 years ago #
  41. love2smoke

love2smoke

Login to Send PM

I'm at about a bowl every week or two since I started. Although we don't smoke in the house and lighting a bowl outside when it's -20 Celsius isn't too enjoyable. I'm sure once the warm weather is back and our summer getaway opens up, that will drastically increase!

Posted 5 years ago #
  42. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Health professionals would say, don't smoke. Some pipe lovers would say dawn to dusk.
    I think some primary care docs would give you a pass on a bowl or two a day, though
    they wouldn't be enthusiastic about it, but that's just my guess. I take a few days off now
    and then to make sure I can. Usually when I travel or have some pressing project or
    am visiting people. The addiction to buying pipes and tobacco is a separate issue.
    I still recognize all the pipes I own and can remember something about when I bought
    them ... just.

Posted 5 years ago #
  43. mrfus

mrfus

Login to Send PM

I get as many smoking breaks as I need at work, but they are limited to not more than 5 minutes (unless my day is running too slow then I take one long enough for a medium size bowl).

I smoke one or two bowls on a regular day and 2 or 3 on my days off, and some days I just go from start to finish clean…

I feel that smoking pipe can't be compared to smoking cigarettes on the way that the tobacco on cigarettes can't compare on quality to a good blend designed for pipe, it's like to have a home made dinner and one frozen from Wall-Mart, maybe the two are mash potatoes and steak but you can eat two big servings of the home made and will be more healthy than one full of preservatives, artificial colors and flavors from the frozen food section of the store.

Posted 5 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   donjgiles, geopiper, alaskanpiper, the85boro, mikey517, cfreud, burleyboy, georged, haparnold, pepesdad1