PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kyriefurro

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 14, 2013
Yesterday was a bit stressful for me and unfortunately that carried over to my bed-time smoke - a nightly ritual that really helps me relax, usually. Last night, however, I didn't relax much and before I knew it I was puffing away at the pipe like the proverbial freight train - which I didn't realize until the tongue bite set in. I took a couple of swigs of iced coffee to cool things off and forgot about it....until this morning.
I was running a bit late. I pulled into the company parking lot and only then realized that I'd forgotten to brush my teeth. So I grabbed my emergency bottle of Scope mouthwash. Holy Hell!!! Does that ever burn! It makes the worst tongue bite feel like a gentle lover's caress. I'm sure my coworkers were wondering why I was running in circles and howling like a banshee lol.
Lessons learned:
1. Pay attention to your smoking cadence even if especially when you've got other things on your mind.

2. Mouthwash is not a good way to cool things off :x

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
Come on man, the burn shows that it's working! Toughen up :) Think about this way, when the pain is gone, your nerve endings will be so fried, you will no longer feel any pain :)

flyguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2012
Yow! Not only will you not be able to feel anything; you won't be able to taste anything either.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
I’ve found real honey to be the best remedy/therapy for the tongue and mouth. IMO, this stuff is nearly miraculous. Nothing like what you find at the grocery store...not syrupy...more like a paste. Tastes wonderful too.
Living Honey - Cold Extracted Honey
http://www.livinghoney.biz/

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
If you really want to test your tolerance to tongue burn pain, have some ice cream after gargling Scope. And then add some carbonated drink. :D

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Tongue bite, the pipe smoker's rite of passage.

What blend were you smoking, Kyriefurro?

At first I thought you were really suffering from tongue burn -- from steam.

But the pain you experienced the next day does indeed sound like tongue bite, which is caused by excessive alkalinity.

kyriefurro

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 14, 2013
What blend were you smoking, Kyriefurro?
If I remember right it was Stokkebye's English Oriental Supreme. That one, along with the Peterson's Irish Oak seem to be my two biggest offenders. I've actually put the Irish Oak on the shelf for a while. I'm hoping it will mellow a bit with age.

Status
Not open for further replies.