How much would you pay for this Humidor?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

18 Fresh Rossi Pipes
9 Fresh Caminetto Pipes
3 Fresh Il Cerchio Pipes
156 Fresh Peterson Pipes
4 Fresh Todd Johnson Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

crusader

Can't Leave
Aug 18, 2014
Nebraska
I know this is to the Cigar field but I would like opinions on what you guys honestly think a humidor like this would be worth. I am looking to maybe start making them and possibly a smaller end table size one for some extra income. The one pictured is one I just finished for a friend. It is solid 3/4" mahogany, 36" t x 13"w x 12"d. Shelfing pins for however you would want to adjust your trays. Could easily hold ten trays. I do not line it with Spanish cedar because honestly the trays are enough and all the other humi's out there are lines with 1/32 veneer anyway. These things hold humidity very well with a simple 1 lb of silica beads but could use many other forms. I have kept mine in use for over a year and has world very well for me.
Any way, I am interested in opinions on what you guys would pay for this Humidor, I have an Idea but am curious on what would be an expected price that is thought to be fair.
Thanks for your help.

crusader

Can't Leave
Aug 18, 2014
Nebraska
5c05c80c-50ba-4bc5-9e08-041a70a7b78f.jpg
[/url][/img]

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
Nicely done. I use a humidor only for open tins so that size is much more than I need. I'm not sure how others feel but something about half that size would be about right. Unopened tins are cellared but for a lot of people that would probably hold much of what they have in stock. I haven't looked at that market lately but custom made humidors like that were $600 to 1000 last time I did.

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
Hey Crusader
That looks pretty darn nice !
I'd like to see more pics and possibly you could design a pipe cabinet like that?
I already have a Savanelli cabinet for 36 but would love another one

xrundog

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2014
Ames, IA
Solid mahogany? More like $1500. Most humidors you see like that are plywood with veneer over. The Chinese models are just heavily laquered to cover the base material. One ding or scratch on either of those and the finish is ruined. Mahogany ain't cheap. Neither is good Spanish cedar. And your time is worth a lot. Heck, $1500 is probably low. Look at Bob Staebel's work. http://www.aristocrathumidors.com/

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
"Solid mahogany? More like $1500"
Agree. $1,000 plus, solid wood rules. You are an artisan/craftsman and should be well paid for solid wood and quality workmanship.

dulgunz

Can't Leave
Feb 11, 2015
1000$ plus might be a bit much, unless you are using exotic woods with different inlays. Mahogany is pretty common so people are paying more for craftsmanship than product. I do think that is a good humidor, but I wouldn't pay more than 500. I would check out Waxing Moon Humidors if you want to get an idea of what real wood humidors are going for.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Price depends on how many cigars the unit will hold. That unit doesn't look like it will hold that many. Can you jam 20 boxes in it? If you can that means it will hold 500 cigars which prices it around 500.00 -800.00. Also are the shelves made of solid spanish cedar or is it veneer? Is there anyway to use an electronic humidification device? Most people who buy cabinets use that type of unit and not beads. Is there a way to get electrcity into the unit? Where would you put an electronic humidification device?

crusader

Can't Leave
Aug 18, 2014
Nebraska
@cigarmaster, although I don't have that many in mine it could hold 10-11 of the 12x2x8 shelves if configured nothing but shelves. I have used a shelf pin jig on the sides so you could adjust as you see fit or even tilt the shelves for display purpose. A cigar oasis humidifier could easily be insisted with the simple addition of an outlet. In mine I have a led light strip and computer fan on the top but never feel the need to turn them on and my and its twin I built for a friends humidity stays very consistant with beads so I have not changed to the Oasis system.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
crusader, that is good that it can use and oasis as I know I would prefer that over beads. So 11 boxes max which is 275 cigars. What about singles, can it be configured so you don't need boxes. I am asking because as you know, storage capacity is very important in how you determine what a fair price will be. If that humidor can only hold a max of 275 cigars, then you will be lucky to get 500.00 for it. I would go online and see what cabinets are selling for that only hold 275 cigars. I would also try and figure out what the maximum capacity of your unit is. If you can figure that out, let me know and I can give you a better idea what price you can get for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.