How much would you pay for an estate pipe?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

gphenry

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 5, 2014
Just a basic, good brand (Sav/Stanwell…) estate pipe off ebay? Nothing rear or top of the line, just a good, clean, quality pipe. I have watched a couple auctions, have seen some sell for less than $20, others greater than $40. Where do you draw the line when just looking for an appealing pipe at a fair/bargain price?

goldsm

Can't Leave
Dec 10, 2013
20% of new pipe price mostly. But some brand like Peterson is different story.

Because I heard some old pipes are better than new one.

gphenry

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 5, 2014
I have noticed the "higher" price of estate Petersons. 20% is an interesting rule. Obviously not an investment, that is why I think the look of the pipe has to be appealing to you, and you have to enjoy it, not shelve it.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
The issue here is that brands like Stanwell, Savinelli, and Peterson have such wide product lines. From the bargain priced (and perhaps questionably made) to their high end lines, there is no "typical" S/S/P pipe. In other words, $50 is probably a bit much for a Savinelli Roma, but it's a GREAT price for a Savinelli Autograph.
Personally, I'd rather have 1 artisan-made pipe than a handful of factory pipes.

deathandtaxes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 29, 2014
Indianapolis IN
One good way to judge whether an eBay pipe is a decent deal is to do a search for that pipe (use the specific information such as design number for Stanwell and Peterson) and click on the completed auctions box. You can see what these pipe have sold for in past auctions. This should help you guage what the current market is paying for the pipe. Of course other factors such as condition should play a part in your decision making process. Hope this information helps!

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I have a standard formula that I used for pricing factory pipes on ebay. If the pipe retailed for 100.00 that means the cost of it was 50.00. I then take half of the cost as it is used and use that as a guide. So the 100.00 factory pipe is worth about 25.00 to me. Now if the pipe is in perfect shape and barley used then I would add to that number.

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
+1 on Harris' observation. Pipes have a price point based on manufacturer, the series, the date (and location) of manufacture, and overall condition. Each of these must be factored into account when arriving at a fair selling price.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Decidedly less than you would for a smokingpipes.com estate pipe, because what you are getting is far

less certain. You are relying on the description by the seller, and you have no idea of their credibility.

They may write well but know little about pipes or be crooked as an ants leg. So 20% tops is probably

a good rule of thumb. I have a problem with ebay for the above stated reason, but also because the

competitive impulse takes over from the serious pipe shopping. The fact that we talk about "winning"

a pipe on ebay illustrates the problem. You bid, occasionally you buy, and when you get the item,

sometimes it's good news and sometimes not. So winning, in this case, is truly relative.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
I like Harris's philosophy on estate buying, a lot. It's a pretty fair formula for both buyer and seller. Of course there are some whack job sellers but in general the estate pipe sellers out there on e-bay have a good handle on things. I made some bad decisions early on in my on line auction buying but have learned a great deal since those early deals. One thing is for sure, you are not going to win them all and as long as you remain patient and diligent, you will get what your after.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
Usually not much. Depends on the pipe and how much I want it. I seldom pay more than $50 and usually a lot less, as I don't see much that I really want that I would pay more for. I enjoy low grade pipes as they are what I can afford, and I've found that a lot of them smoke just as good as high grade pipes. If you're a collector than, all bets are off, as you would probably spend as much as you think the pipe is worth to you from a collectors standpoint. Me, I'm mainly a smoker not a collector, so cheaper unusual pipes, or pipes that need some work are what I usually look for.

Right now my wife thinks I should not be looking at all. (but it's hard not to) :roll:

kola

Lifer
Apr 1, 2014
Colorado Rockies, Cripple Creek region
I buy 100 dollar estate (smoked) Peterson's. I avoid the new Petes and shop for years 1985 and back. For one, I dislike breaking in new pipes and two...I don't want to spend 300-400 beanos for a new Pete Deluxe or Spigot.

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
I haven't paid more than $40 or $50 on estates, which were Savs, a calabash and a freehand. I am willing to pay half of what a new one would cost or just slightly over. I consider that a good deal in my book.
I paid $60 for an estate lot once just to get a Pete that was in it, restored the others and sold them. That Pete ended up costing me $20 in the end.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
I like the really old pipes. With that said, its anything goes on these. I have a boxed Dunhill with a 35 dollar price tag still on it. Obviously its worth more than $17.50, or $8.75. Or is it????

I would say just pay what you are comfortable with. For me, the well known name brands keep and hold their value well. I like to think of them as investments. If I can buy a nice old Dunnie for $150, smoke it for 10 years and sell it for $200, then life is good!

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Just paid $75.00 for an estate Hardcastle, on the high end for me. But I've paid $200.00-$300.00 in the past before, and believe me, that past is long-gone. I know that there are many fine details wrought by artisan carvers, and believe me I would love to own these superbly crafted pipes, but I cannot even dream of owning them; in the meantime if I can stuff tobacco in one hole and draw through the other, I'm good.
I know there are poor quality pipes out there, but the constant replies by board members that a new pipe is going to be a "good smoker" seem well beyond necessity. How many pipes have you had that are "bad smokers?" Even Savinelli, etc, makes a good pipe.
For me a pipe should include:
1) straight

2) correctly drilled

3) usually a group 4

4) 50 g or less

5) reasonably attractive

6) good draw
Beyond this, improvements in details are not something for which I'm willing to pay.

topd

Lifer
Mar 23, 2012
Emerson, Arkansas
When I buy a used car or truck, I look at the "Blue Book" and see what's it's value is, with the thought that I'll be selling it at some future date. I have never sold a pipe, so all my pipe purchases are for keeps. I have paid as much $600 on a 1954 Dunhill ODA 935 RootBrier. That's what it was worth to me!

Of course keep in mind I didn't start out that way, I'm not rich. 45 years ago, I was looking for the five to twenty dollar pipe, any pipe....

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
sablebrush52, when dealing with higher end artisan pipes, you are correct, my formula for a factory pipe is not the one I use. I do have a different formula for those.
Say I am looking at a 2008 Rad Davis, I figure back then if it is a sandblast, the pipe retailed around 300.00. If the pipe is in pristine condition, I try to buy a pipe like that for around 200-225. I figure a new pipe like that will go for around 400.00, so if I can get a great smoker for half of that, I feel as if I got a good deal. My best deal on an artisan high grade was on a Jody Davis Cardinal grade that retailed for 1100.00, got it for 400.00 and thought I did very well. There are deals out there if you know what you are looking at and understand what the original retail was and what the market is as far as supply and demand. Some names bring more for their estate pipes than they do for new. I have seen plenty of JT Cooke pipes sell more as an estate than they did when new. I once saw an estate Cook that retailed for 900.00 go for 1400.00. I laughed my ass off at the moron who paid the 1400.00.
Now when it comes to ultra high grade like a Jess Chonowitsch or a Bo Nordh, I look, I drool and then say no freaking way would I ever pay that much for a pipe, can't get a better deal than that.

It depends on the pipe, I paid over 130 Dollars for a rare vintage Stanwell. I usually keep my bids max at $20 and a bit more if I really want something, but will never buy something for lets say $200 or so on ebay. I'll rather talk to a collector/trader who can cater to me in a better way.

escioe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 31, 2013
I've bought mostly older, non-collectible pipes like Comoy and GBD on eBay, at shows, and shops. I don't have hard and fast rules, but I am more of a wait and find a deal buyer than an impulse buyer. I've bought two pipes in the last 4 years. They were in the same lot: a Comoy Sandblast pot and a Comoy Pebble Grain billiard. Neither in rare shapes, but both in good condition. Made sometime 1950s-1970s. I paid $45 shipped to my house. Both are great smokers.
But then I see Comoy Sandblasts of similar era in slightly rarer shapes, usually from well-known eBay sellers, going for nearly $100. Not for me. I can wait.

smeigs

Lifer
Jun 26, 2012
I have about 15 estate pipes in my collection. I would say the average I spend on one of them is about 45 bucks. But, I dont buy them online. I usually get mine from my local B&M. The guy at my pipe shop does a great job collecting, restoring and then selling estate pipes so I choose to go through him.

Status
Not open for further replies.