PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ben88

Lifer
Jun 5, 2015
Quebec
Out curiosity I put a sealed bag of Dunbar on the scale - 8.5oz.

Somehow I think that heavy foiled bag weighs more than .5oz

Mar 30, 2014
wv
Penzance has an additional plastic tray inside to add to weight. I weighed it out of the bag and tray. It was under 6oz.
Has anyone else weighed Penzance before and after?

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
They should weigh in a slightly more than 8oz. General practice is to put slightly more in than the given weight. 6oz Penznace? Wow! Is there a hole in the bag that would allow it to dry out?
I just weighed several bags and they all came out at 8.57 oz.
Volume as a measurement of weight is not accurate. The same weight of different cuts can occupy different volumes.

bluto

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 24, 2018
The same weight of different cuts can occupy different volumes.
I am wondering , when you guys comment on how wet a tobacco can be in a fresh tin
.. is that the actual 50 grams weight of tobacco and water in the tin ?
If so , upon drying , you end up with considerablely less than the 50 grams you paid for when it’s dried

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
There was someone on this forum who dried out a tin of FVF, and discovered without all the moisture, it was 50 grams.

snowyowl

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2015
For this discussion, I just opened an 8oz bag of Penzance:

The tobacco and plastic tray, weighed 8.1oz. on my Taylor brand digital scale.

The tray, after tranferring the tobacco to a Ball jar, weighed 0.1oz
So exactly 8oz of Esoterica Penzance tobacco!

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Just a note from the only guy who seems to have checked the actual moisture on a variety of tobaccos: Esotericas, at least Margate and Penzance, generally have about 90% RH, the highest of any I have measured.
Dave- Was the tobacco dried out perchance? Two ounces short- whoa.....

Mar 30, 2014
wv
@jpm
The tobacco was a little dryer than other batches I’ve had. It was also about 4 years old too. Not dry at all by most standards, but it was for Esoterica. I normally have to dry any esoterica blend before smoking. As for the pinhole theory, it had to be microscopic. I squeezed the charmin before opening it. It seemed to be air tight.
I’ve never bothered to weigh an unopened bag before. I only discovered this because I was splitting a bag with a friend. We both get 2.5 ounces. Ouch!
Yet another reason i jar and seal the bags upon delivery.
@snowyowl

Thanks for breaking the seal in the name of science.

unkleyoda

Lifer
Aug 22, 2016
Your mom\\\'s house
I am wondering , when you guys comment on how wet a tobacco can be in a fresh tin
.. is that the actual 50 grams weight of tobacco and water in the tin ?
If so , upon drying , you end up with considerablely less than the 50 grams you paid for when it’s dried
Isn't that the thought behind Tobac Manil and Daughters And Ryan? I saw a video where someone asked Mister Ryan why his tobacco is so dry. He said, "I don't charge you for the water".

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
There was someone on this forum who dried out a tin of FVF, and discovered without all the moisture, it was 50 grams.
Sounds about right. Surely someone can answer how much H20 is in a 50 gram tin. I'd be surprised if it were more than a gram, even at 80% RH.

Mar 30, 2014
wv
Mystery solved. I must be going senile. I jarred the 8oz bag in 3, not 2 jars. After weighing all of it, it came out to be 7.9 Oz.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Isn't that the thought behind Tobac Manil and Daughters And Ryan? I saw a video where someone asked Mister Ryan why his tobacco is so dry. He said, "I don't charge you for the water".

I think too, that Mark Ryan uses less mold inhibitor because of his dry products.

Status
Not open for further replies.