PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

yadan

Can't Leave
Dec 23, 2012
Central Galilee, Israel
Some members must keep tons of tobacco stored away and plenty more at arm's reach, while others have only one pouch or tin at their disposal.

I myself have 540 grams at the ready, divided mostly among Royal Yacht, Nightcap, Early Morning Pipe, Connoisseur Turkish Black, Peterson Special Edition (2012) and Amphora Red.
How much tobacco do you keep on hand/stored? :puffy:

Aug 14, 2012
Funny you should ask. I have been inventorying tobacco today. Since I have not finished, the estimate is 500 cans and 20lbs of bulk.

Nov 14, 2009
Flowery Branch, GA
I've found that while I do tend to have a lot of different blends in my cellar, there are about 5-6 that I like to smoke regularly. The rest are smokes on a whim, or when the itch is to find something different.
I always keep my leather box tobacco pouch full and in my back pocket or in my pipe bag.

crk69

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 30, 2012
At the moment, I have a little over 16lbs between bulk and tins in the cellar..

gecko13

Feb 2, 2011
Goodyear,AZ
I am at about 300 tins, and around 75 lbs of bulk. I hope to double this by the end of the year, and then I will just drop back to a maintenance mode for the rest of my pipe smoking career. With this plan I will be pretty much covered if the prices or availability make continued purchase unpalatable. Of course I will still continue trying new blends, but I wont worry about adding 50 tins to the cellar.

mustanggt

Dec 6, 2012
I've been on a binge the last two months. I have no idea. It's alot though. I started a thread last month called "How big is your stash?" or something like that. At that time it was 238oz. It's three times that at least now. I still don't feel it's enough. It's like reloading components you never have enough. I'm waiting for the day when I'll be public enemy #1 for being a hunter and smoker.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
This question seems to get asked about every week!
I have over 850 tins, including some 8oz. and 1lb. tins, which works out to something a bit north of 120 lbs., in the cellar. (Nothing is loose or jarred for long-term cellaring, since I never buy bulk blends.)
Bob

ace57

Lifer
Jun 21, 2011
I just keep around 5 to 6 lbs. That takes me 3 to 4 months then I order more to stock back up seems to work for me.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I began to assault the on line dealers in the beginning of November. I finally did an inventory and I have 812 tins and 35 pounds of bulk. I am at 123 pounds right now, about half way to my goal of 250 pounds. In a matter of a year or 2 I believe prices will be north of 30 bucks a tin and I am not paying that. Most places in the world are paying 35-45 a tin due to taxes and we are next. There will be many blends that get discontinued and probably some companies will go out of business. At my current consumption of approximately 9 pounds a year, I only have a 13.5 year supply.

yadan

Can't Leave
Dec 23, 2012
Central Galilee, Israel
OK, guys, tins, pouches and bulk I understand.

But pounds and ounces? :roll:

When are you Yanks and Brits going to finally adopt the much more sane metric system? :lol:

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
yadan, lol, I still have to go on line to look at the conversion tables when people list their pipe dimensions using the metric system. When I grew up it was not stressed in school. Besides, how can you tell a girl how much you are carrying if not in inches. 25.4 cm's just has no ring to it. lol

eaglerico

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
When are you Yanks and Brits going to finally adopt the much more sane metric system?
As soon as we do that the rest of the world will stop using it. Just like english. English is being taught in schools all over the world except in the US. (Not to derail the thread) Besides I have a math degree and switched to math after I got bored with chemistry and I am still confused between ton, short ton, long ton and metric ton? :?:
I think I have somewhere between a short ton and a long ton, around 8lbs :lol:
At my current consumption of approximately 9 pounds a year, I only have a 13.5 year supply.
Harris, I have seen your calculations a few times and always want to throw a wrench in there. What happens to your calculations if you take into account you getting older = more free time to smoke. Once you retire? Get a new job where you can smoke all day? lol I just see your calcs going out the window. :rofl:

Status
Not open for further replies.