Tags:  No tags yet. 

How Much Tobacco do You Keep on Hand?

(27 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by yadan
  • Latest reply from joshwolftree
  1. yadan

yadan

Login to Send PM

Some members must keep tons of tobacco stored away and plenty more at arm's reach, while others have only one pouch or tin at their disposal.
    I myself have 540 grams at the ready, divided mostly among Royal Yacht, Nightcap, Early Morning Pipe, Connoisseur Turkish Black, Peterson Special Edition (2012) and Amphora Red.

How much tobacco do you keep on hand/stored?

"I'm always easy to please since I'm always satisfied with the very best." - Oscar Wilde
    Posted 1 year ago #
  2. weezell

weezell

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

LOTS!!!

Posted 1 year ago #
  3. peckinpahhombre

peckinpahhombre

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I am at 67 lbs.

Posted 1 year ago #
  4. mikephillips

mikephillips

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I used to have anywhere from 25 to as much as 100 pounds. Now, I probably have a total of less than 5 pounds. I no longer cellar or hoard, I just keep enough to last a few months should I choose to not buy anything for awhile.

Posted 1 year ago #
  5. foggymountain

foggymountain

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Funny you should ask. I have been inventorying tobacco today. Since I have not finished, the estimate is 500 cans and 20lbs of bulk.

Posted 1 year ago #
  6. uberam3rica

Uberam3rica

Mod

Login to Send PM

Not enough!

As long as I got a pipe full of baccy and a nose full of snuff, I'm a happy camper
    Cigarettes are an addiction, cigars are a hobby, pipes are a religion
    Posted 1 year ago #
  7. allan

allan

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Foggy, I'm going to guess you are not married LOL

allan

Allan
    Posted 1 year ago #
  8. judcole

Jud

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Not as much as I'd like to have.

Thought in the early morning, solace in time of woes,
    Peace in the hush of the twilight, balm ere my eyelids close
    Rudyard Kipling
    Posted 1 year ago #
  9. bootlegbonvivant

bootlegbonvivant

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've found that while I do tend to have a lot of different blends in my cellar, there are about 5-6 that I like to smoke regularly. The rest are smokes on a whim, or when the itch is to find something different.

I always keep my leather box tobacco pouch full and in my back pocket or in my pipe bag.

Southerners don't talk slow because they're dumb, we do it because there's really no rush.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

About 12 pounds ATM. I plan to triple than by summer.

Posted 1 year ago #
  11. crk69

crk69

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

At the moment, I have a little over 16lbs between bulk and tins in the cellar..

Proud Member of the BlackBlood Society
    Member NASPC
    Posted 1 year ago #
  12. foggymountain

foggymountain

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Allan: You guess wrong.

Posted 1 year ago #
  13. gecko13

gecko13

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I am at about 300 tins, and around 75 lbs of bulk. I hope to double this by the end of the year, and then I will just drop back to a maintenance mode for the rest of my pipe smoking career. With this plan I will be pretty much covered if the prices or availability make continued purchase unpalatable. Of course I will still continue trying new blends, but I wont worry about adding 50 tins to the cellar.

"To Learn Who Rules You, Find Out Who You Can't Criticize" Voltaire

"The pipe draws wisdom from the lips of the philosopher, and shuts up the mouth of the foolish; it generates a style of conversation, contemplative, thoughtful, benevolent, and unaffected..."
    Posted 1 year ago #
  14. User has not uploaded an avatar

mustanggt

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've been on a binge the last two months. I have no idea. It's alot though. I started a thread last month called "How big is your stash?" or something like that. At that time it was 238oz. It's three times that at least now. I still don't feel it's enough. It's like reloading components you never have enough. I'm waiting for the day when I'll be public enemy #1 for being a hunter and smoker.

Posted 1 year ago #
  15. joshwolftree

joshwolftree

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

shoot I need to get to putting more in the cellar, as it would mine would be better measured in OZ than LB one day though, one day my cellar will be measured in CST, or at least LB

The true measure of a mans worth is how he chooses to chance his mortality
    Junior Member of the Black Bloods
    Posted 1 year ago #
  16. rmbittner

rmbittner

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

This question seems to get asked about every week!

I have over 850 tins, including some 8oz. and 1lb. tins, which works out to something a bit north of 120 lbs., in the cellar. (Nothing is loose or jarred for long-term cellaring, since I never buy bulk blends.)

Bob

Posted 1 year ago #
  17. ace57

ace57

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I just keep around 5 to 6 lbs. That takes me 3 to 4 months then I order more to stock back up seems to work for me.

U.S.M.C. (SEMPER FI)
    Posted 1 year ago #
  18. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I began to assault the on line dealers in the beginning of November. I finally did an inventory and I have 812 tins and 35 pounds of bulk. I am at 123 pounds right now, about half way to my goal of 250 pounds. In a matter of a year or 2 I believe prices will be north of 30 bucks a tin and I am not paying that. Most places in the world are paying 35-45 a tin due to taxes and we are next. There will be many blends that get discontinued and probably some companies will go out of business. At my current consumption of approximately 9 pounds a year, I only have a 13.5 year supply.

Harris
    Posted 1 year ago #
  19. yadan

yadan

Login to Send PM

OK, guys, tins, pouches and bulk I understand.
    But pounds and ounces?
    When are you Yanks and Brits going to finally adopt the much more sane metric system?

Posted 1 year ago #
  20. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

yadan, lol, I still have to go on line to look at the conversion tables when people list their pipe dimensions using the metric system. When I grew up it was not stressed in school. Besides, how can you tell a girl how much you are carrying if not in inches. 25.4 cm's just has no ring to it. lol

Posted 1 year ago #
  21. kris

kris

Login to Send PM

Posted 1 year ago #
  22. eaglerico

eaglerico

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

When are you Yanks and Brits going to finally adopt the much more sane metric system?

As soon as we do that the rest of the world will stop using it. Just like english. English is being taught in schools all over the world except in the US. (Not to derail the thread) Besides I have a math degree and switched to math after I got bored with chemistry and I am still confused between ton, short ton, long ton and metric ton?

I think I have somewhere between a short ton and a long ton, around 8lbs

At my current consumption of approximately 9 pounds a year, I only have a 13.5 year supply.

Harris, I have seen your calculations a few times and always want to throw a wrench in there. What happens to your calculations if you take into account you getting older = more free time to smoke. Once you retire? Get a new job where you can smoke all day? lol I just see your calcs going out the window.

Glenn
    Posted 1 year ago #
  23. spartan

Spartan

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

As much as possible. Stuff will last forever in a jar. If you die before you smoke it all put it in your will to pass on to your kids or other pipe smokers.

Buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy invest.

"I was born to lose. So I'll die to win." -Breaking Benjamin
    Posted 1 year ago #
  24. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

What happens to your calculations if you take into account you getting older = more free time to smoke. Once you retire?

LOL I believe Harris is retired, for all practical purposes, and he already smokes all day (said he almost always has a pipe in his mouth). If that's all correct (or close), his calculations are quite accurate, even in the long haul.

Posted 1 year ago #
  25. cedeks

cedeks

Login to Send PM

Hmmmm I do not think the quantity I have would be significant to be announced here with all these numbers but let's say around 3kg all in tins. No bulk...

Posted 1 year ago #
  26. docwatson

docwatson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

+1

It's good sportsmanship to not pick up lost golf balls while they are still rolling---Mark Twain
    Posted 1 year ago #
  27. joshwolftree

joshwolftree

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

As much as possible. Stuff will last forever in a jar. If you die before you smoke it all put it in your will to pass on to your kids or other pipe smokers.

+1

If I happen to make anyone's will, rest assured I will will bring a fine scotch to pour over your grave while I smoke a bowl in your honor. Just so you don't mind me filtering the scotch through my kidneys first

Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   condorlover1, stephendownie, riffraff, torque, sparks, numbersix, joemcdds, terry