PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
It seems like a silly question, but I've read that some of our luckier members here smoke all day long, so they must burn (pardon the pun) through a lot of tobacco (and money for that matter). They've made references to a "Summer Order" or a "Monthly TAD Purchase". This makes me wonder, "How much tobacco do you buy?" I, myself, buy far more than I can smoke in a year with no cellaring on my part (this may change soon, though), but I'm nowhere near a large quarterly or monthly order.
-Jason

greggors

Can't Leave
Oct 5, 2010
Mississauga ON Canada
I'm probably more casual than most. I buy about 30 dollars worth, which lasts me about a week. My favorite tobacconist is a 10 min drive so its easy for me to visit weekly =D

chuckw

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 7, 2009
My last tobacco purchase was 1 lb. Union Square, two 7 oz. tubs of Canadian Export A. 12 tins McCelland's 221B Black Shag.

That said, when we have the extra money, I buy my tobacco in 5 lb. increments. One of the reasons there is a shortage of Gawith ropes is I have more in my cellar than they have in their factory. Dunhill and Lane taught me to rathole all I can when they deserted me. Yes, I took it personally.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Good question Jason,
I usually purchase a pound or half pound of 1Q (dependent on my storage capacity at the time), two or four oz. of something that catches my fancy out of the bulk jars (this varies) just for fun, and I sometimes pick out a tin of something I have read about here on Pipesmagazine.com. I rarely buy tobacco more than once a month. Usually only once in 6 weeks. If less than one month has elapsed it will be an impulse buy, probably just a tin. However.... I do go to my local B&M whenever the opportunity presents itself, just to shoot the breeze. (Not to be confused with Haunted's definition of breeze.) :)
But, as to smoking all day, it may seem like I do. And, to some extent I do. However; I don't usually smoke a whole bowl at one sitting during the day. By coincidence I paid attention to the quantity I smoked yesterday. I had 4 bowls over the course of the entire day. Yesterday I smoked three bowls of Lane 1Q which were frequent "sit downs", and one of Sasieni Balkan (all the way through) before bed.

So, I would venture to say that wouldn't qualify as a lot of tobacco, but I did have my pipe handy all day.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I smoke about 6 - 8 bowls a day, but they're smaller sized bowls -- typically 1 - 2 grams. Palate fatigue at day's end is the only thing that prevents me from smoking more.
I estimate that it comes to a little less than a pound per month. Fortunately, I have an arrangement with the War Department wherein I get to place a tobacco order every time she buys a new pair of shoes. Given her S.A.D., I find myself in "fat city."
I've managed to build a cellar with tremendous variety. What I do is buy either 4 - 8 oz's of bulk, or a couple of tins of a given blend. When I open a tin, I have a Mason jar at the ready, smoke some, and the remainder becomes part of the growing cellar. Despite this, I am nowhere near sampling everything I'd like to; but I've got time.

bubbadreier

Lifer
Jul 30, 2010
Norman, Oklahoma
I just started doing 2 large orders a year, each being between 3-5 pounds of my favorites and 1-2 pounds of new tobaccos (I order the new blends in half pounds). I end up cellaring most of it! During the the rest of the year I still buy plenty of other tobaccos from my local B&M and tons of OTC blends that I believe everyone must at least try once!
My big orders can cost anywhere from $150-$250 depending on what I get. and during a normal week I spend between $10 and $20...

stluisrey

Might Stick Around
Oct 19, 2010
Orange, CA
My purchase habits have been spotty over the past year depending on the availability of Samuel Gawith. Lately it has been a bit heavy do to the recent upturn in the availability of SG. But if I average it out over the past year, I buy 1 pound a month. My smoking habit is around 2 bowls a day. So even at 1 pound a month, the stock is building.

thomc80

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2010
Last month i ordered 2 lbs of tobacco. 1 lb. was 1-Q of course the other was my black cord. I typically smoke 3-4 bowls a day and i really havent made too large a dent in my supply yet.

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
pstlpkr said: (Not to be confused with Haunted's definition of breeze.) :)
LMAO! Haunted's definition of brezze puts a whole new spin on, "Shoot the breeze." I still giggle like a school girl when I think of that post. I hope for the employees of "Deals" sake that it was another of Haunted's...ahem...stories.
-Jason

pipetrucker

Sep 13, 2010
Following the white rabbit
In bulk I tend to buy 1/2 pound at a time. As I spend all of my time in a truck I don't cellar, although I will eventually rent a storage place to do so.
I also buy a lot of tins. At any given time I normally keep somewhere between three and four pounds of tobacco in the truck. When I get low on a particular favorite blend I just buy another 1/2 pound.

philblum

Lurker
Oct 15, 2010
Me to, I buy more than a really smoke, but I do buy frequently during the year, not just once or twice in big orders.
I do have maybe 20 tabaccos in my kitchen I will probably never smoke again due to changes in my taste or because the tobacco was a dissapointment.

fred

Lifer
Mar 21, 2010
Over the past few years, I've ordered frequently in order to feed the

cellar..., which is currently up to 99.4 kilos. Lately, I've cut back

on ordering blends but still will pick up a new issue, just out of curiosity.

menckenite

Jun 21, 2010
Alabama
I have not been back in pipe smoking long enough to really say yet but when I did return I ordered all those tins in a previous post titledMy tobacco stash Not knowing how much I would smoke before I needed more or not. It was all new. However, I did hear word that this Samuel Gawith stuff was pretty good but I couldn't get it because of the process: "They only ship twice a year, better bulk up" or something to that effect. Anyway, I did eventually get a few samples of SG and when I found out it was here, tried what I could, and I got a little carried away.
Only counting Samuel Gawith, here's what I've ordered in the past month:
250g of 1792

250g of Best Brown Flake

3 lbs of FVF

250g of Kendal Cream

250g of Squadron Leader

50g tin of Balken Flake
My wife checks the mail everyday before I get home and she's starting to have a questionable tone in her voice when she says "You got another package today, it must be more tobacco".
I'll never make in into M.E.N.S.A. but I'm starting to figure out that maybe I've got enough baccy for now.

searock

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 15, 2010
I have so much English around here that I seldom buy any. My "daily" smoke, Raleigh, is another matter. I buy 12, 14oz. cans at a time by mial order.

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
It works out that I make an order of around five pounds or so each quarter. I order enough to get free shipping.

strongirish

Can't Leave
Aug 20, 2010
Lake Conroe, TX
I always order enough to qualify for free shipping so my average order is between $100-130. I order at least once a month as I am trying to build up a nice cellar to take me the rest of the way if the antis win. I also buy tobacco when I travel to pipe shops and find very old and aged stock.

duncan

Jul 28, 2010
New Jersey
I usally buy around 1lb a month at the local B&M. On the ocassion of a new blend hits that I am really intrested in I will go for it and burn that up before my normal 1Q stash.

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
My budget is 140 a month . I mix up my orders Two pounds of bulk and then add some tins and smaller 4 to 8 oz bulks to cellar or as treats . My cellar gets a little bigger each month or does it get a lot bigger ? I like to try new blends and try to build complete brand collections of tins .

gunner777

Lurker
Oct 2, 2010
Missouri
Mine varies depending on the time of year. I tend to smoke more in the fall and winter and a bit larger pipe also.

I would guess my average per month is 8oz of Pensanze then several tins of various favorites so around $90 a month in summer and more like $130 in winter.

buck67

Can't Leave
Aug 4, 2010
Little Rock
I guess I'm a lightweight compared to most of the pipe smokers here. I tend to buy small amounts, since I dont smoke as often as I would like to. And I haven't started to budget yet for larger amounts of premium name brand tobacco products. That being said, I do make more trips to my local baccy shop to purchase my usual Wilshire and to window shop the many pipes available. It is always a pleasure to walk through the door and browse around for a while. I also buy Captain Black in the small pouch when the notion strikes me. I can get it just down the street.

Status
Not open for further replies.