PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sack

Lurker
Nov 28, 2016
If the fda does lay down the hammer, how much do you plan to stock up on?

I'm an on again, off again pipe smoker. I'd hate to run out of stuff like

Scottys Bass Pond or Pancake, and other aros that are limited/monthly blends.

I can afford a few pounds of each, but I don't want to go overboard.

I might smoke a couple pipes a day. Give or take. Not so much in the summer.

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
I've got enough to last me until I go to that B&M in the sky, but I'm only buying C&D's Pegasus and OTC blends that I can get locally. Those blends should be safe under the new FDA guidelines because their pre-2007.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
I do wonder if some tobacco hoarders are unable to differentiate betwixt need and want.
Reading some accounts on here some folks have more baccy stashed away than your average B&M holds as everyday stock.
That said, the majority of members are American and baccy is dirt cheap over there compared to here in Blighty so the temptation to over indulge must be huge.
Regards,
Jay.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I am in no rush. Still working out what is superlative and what is "merely" great.. So I have maybe 20 pounds of tobacco, half bulk, half tins. I am in my 70's, so have to take that into account.

Yeh, $40-60 a pound is less than what a carton of cigarettes costs in most states, and a pound of pipe tobacco will last you much longer than a carton of cigarettes. A dinner with family at a restaurant is more expensive. And, a movie with just the wife is definitely more. I wouldn't hesitate to pick up a pound or more of something. Unless of course, you're on a fixed income or have some other dire circumstance.

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
Right now I am aiming for blends that will disappear that I really like post 2007. After the door closes and the huge wave of great new blends post 2007 disappear, back to the exempted blends. There are a lot of great exempted blends, but most of my favorites are post 2007 so that is below average.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I do wonder if some tobacco hoarders are unable to differentiate betwixt need and want.
We are able, and my buying is based on the idea that in 20 years, tobacco and marijuana will reverse roles in which is legal, and which is not. Not to mention the constant rise in tobacco prices.

oldreddog

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 4, 2014
I'm trying to squirrel away some tobacco in case ,(or when), online sales are banned.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Right now I am aiming for blends that will disappear that I really like post 2007. After the door closes and the huge wave of great new blends post 2007 disappear, back to the exempted blends. There are a lot of great exempted blends.

Yup.
Scottys Bass Pond or Pancake, and other aros that are limited/monthly blends.
The general consensus is that aros do not maintain their character over the long haul. Check review sites like TobaccoReviews.com and see which of your faves have been around a long time. I did not spend much time looking, but I notice that Scotty's Trout Stream is exempt, because it has been around since before 2007.

oldreddog

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 4, 2014
I don't know if I was living in the states CE if I'd amass a 200 pound stash.
But I'd have fun trying!
Who knows in the future I might get done for growing a few plants for personal use. :roll:

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"I'm trying to squirrel away some tobacco in case,(or when), online sales are banned."
Dave, I too am doing the same thing for the very same reason. Living as I do in a very rural backwater I depend heavily on my online stockist and being semi housebound I'll be more than inconvenienced when (not if!) online tobacco sales are banned.
Regards,
Jay.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm a moderate smoker and could smoke less if necessary. At my present rate of consumption, with a wide variety but a limited quantity, I could coast along for some years. I doubt that pipe tobacco will become unavailable or priced beyond reach. It's the recent and new blends that will be ended. And the prices will go up enough to cool the interest in buying quantity. I probably don't cellar enough, but I've been looking at some delectable tins of tobacco for years, as others have caught my attention, so storing more doesn't seem crucial. Maybe a mistake. Storing twenty pounds of what is this year's favorite for me, not appealing.

drydock

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 27, 2016
I find I have a similar situation, as above, in terms of tastes changing--or perhaps more accurately, wanting very different blends at different times, as various moods or weather strike. Add to that enticing new blends being made available--I don't have many old-standbys. My 'cellar' is more wide than deep & that suits me well. As far as cellaring--what drives me more than the loss of certain newer tobacco blends is the concern that online purchasing itself may become restrictive if not impossible at some point. I'm surrounded by headshops, a few good cigar shops, but exceedingly few pipe tobacco B&Ms. My ability to research and purchase online has brought immense happiness and selection--should using charge cards to purchase become difficult, I'd be in the same situation in the US as I am looking at all those lovely UK plugs. I can look, but purchasing is next to impossible.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
I don't think there is such a thing as having too much tobacco so I would suggest whatever feels comfortable and fits your budget.
I found some of my regulars were made after the deeming date so I've started to stock pile them anytime there's a sale. Right now 10% off at P&C with the code MERRY
I really took advantage of the combination of their summer sale and the 20% off they were offering.

Status
Not open for further replies.