PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

blackhat84

Might Stick Around
May 2, 2014
I've been curious to know, what's the amount of time you can keep your tobbaco in the original tin before moving to the Mason jar

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
Once you crack a tin unless your going to smoke it up, I wouldn't go past 2-3 months because it can start to get too dry.
tinner :puffy:

tobyducote

Lifer
Jun 10, 2012
New Orleans
I've used a cotton ball slightly damp with filtered water to rehydrate, I've also had good luck with the hydration packs sold through online vendors

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
I have smoked tobaccos form a sealed tin that were forty years old. You can leave sealed tins lay for about as long as you like. Once in a great while, a tin will rust enough to lose it's vacuum seal and the contents will dry out. I have bunches of tins from the mid 1990's. I will never transfer them to jars. If you are talking open tins here's something you can try beside jarring the contents. I have had this keep the open tins in good shape for almost a year (it was an 8 oz. tin of Cairo and it was great top to bottom). Cut a piece of wax paper or tin foil and place this between the tin and the lid. Never tried this with coin twist tins. Remember that tobacco a bit too dry will generally smoke better than tobacco too moist. Too moist can lead to steam. If a blend is too dry for your taste you can fill your pipe and blow warm breathe through the bowl by pretending your filled pipe bowl is a blow gun. The breathe will re-hydrate that load just fine.There are no hard and fast rules. Try and keep your blends in a condition that suits you. Some folk like their tobacco so dry it almost starts on fire by itself.

Mike S.

tppytel

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 23, 2014
For rehydrating, I get my fingers wet under a faucet and then flick them once or twice into the tin. It should only fling a few drops - you don't want huge wet spots. Close up the tin, let it sit over night, and the water should dissipate nicely throughout the tin.
Simple, but I find it works just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.