PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

waznyf

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2012
Texas
Hey everyone,
I know that lately everyone has been scrambling to gather as much bacci as they can before things turn sour.

Does anyone have a guess as to when we will see these changes go into effect?

I am purchasing some tobaccos to stock up yet due to the fact that I am new to pipes, I am still trying to find my niche. I have yet to find what I like the most so I am a little concerned that I won't be able to stock up on the tobaccos that I really enjoy the most because I have yet to find them.

tokerpipes

Lifer
Jan 16, 2012
Eatonville, WA
I don't think it necisary to stock up. I mean they aren't getting rid of tobacco, just making it more expensive to obtain due to the extra taxes. It pisses me off that the one industry that got this country started and recognised was tobacco. Which the English monarchs wanted to tax everything so they could not only profit from the tobacco we grew for them but also the tea they got us addicted to. Now our own government is making demands on taxes on the tobacco lover to pay for what? I want to see where the money goes.
Sorry to soap box on here...I don't know when the tax hike will take effect. And not bashing the english just the wigs that forced America to form a revolt against them.

grizzly86

Apr 5, 2012
@tokerpipes you are completely right. The problem in this country is that too many just take what is force fed to them; they don't speak out. Remember the idiom "the squeaky wheel gets grease"? In the US the "anti's" anti-gun, anti-tobacco, and other groups are the loudest. It is long past time we start making ourselves heard.
@waznyf Check out site sponsor P&C the have a great sampler pick out some different types to see what you like. Then you can start exploring more in that area. Personally I like it all just depends what kind of mood I am in.

rlunderhill

Can't Leave
Jan 10, 2012
I write all my Representatives in Washington on a regular basis. You'd be surprised how many actually write back and how many form letters I get. I have 2 Representatives that write back out of 4 total for Minnesota. Both are Republicans. The Democrat's just send form letters saying Thanks for writing, but don't do it again. I'm to busy to talk to you. I then send them a follow up email saying I'm not voting for you next time.
It's important that these people hear from you if you don't like something. I get so damn mad at this Government for thinking the only answer is to tax tobacco again and again for some GSA employee to Vacation in NV. The Minnesota Taxes on Tobacco is ridiculous. One cigar here costs $10.00 for a $1.50 stick online. A good cigar run's $25.00. For one!
Who ever you vote for, make sure you know where he stands on your favorite past time. I don't need someone in government looking out for my health. I'm 65 and I've done pretty good so far. Leave me alone.

unixhelp

Lurker
May 24, 2012
Smoking of any kind has a monetary health cost to society so we smokers should take personal responsibility for the cost. Taxes are justified when there not excessive. Just be glad your not living in Ontario...a pack of smokes is $10 ...pouch of Captain black is close to $20.
Rob
$$. I cried because I had no shoes...then I saw a man with no feet...and I laughed and laughed and laughed ! $$

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
unixhelp said
Smoking of any kind has a monetary health cost to society so we smokers should take personal responsibility for the cost.
Can you explain that a little more? I've been smoking for over 40 yrs. and it hasn't cost "society" one dime. In fact, I think society has benefited from all the taxes it has collected. If I die of cancer after an expensive stay in the hospital, for which I've paid a lifetime of insurance premiums, I still don't see how it will cost society anything.
As to the thread topic, your taste preferences will change many times over the years, so don't rush to sample everything in an afternoon. In the long run you'll be safe assuming that you are no different than the average person, so stock up on the most popular of the major blends or genres. You may not have acquired a taste for them yet, but preferences evolve.

rickpal14

Lifer
Jun 9, 2011
Smoking of any kind has a monetary health cost to society so we smokers should take personal responsibility for the cost.
Unixhelp, I do in fact take personal responsibility for the cost by paying more as a tobacco user than a non-tobacco user for my health care premiums!!!!

unixhelp

Lurker
May 24, 2012
Sothron.. CEO of Humana or GE Healthcare knows best? Compare Frances tobacco taxation ...universal healthcare...standard of living and life expectancy and it makes a case for government knows best.
Rob

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
Let's keep this discussion about stocking up on tobacco and not on political discussions. As per forum rules:

Political Posts Not Allowed
6. We want to keep it friendly and fun around here. Political threads make it nearly impossible to maintain that type of atmosphere, so they are forbidden ... (unless they have to do with tobacco policies and legislation).
Any more political discussion in this thread that doesn't directly involve the tobacco laws in the US and how they will affect pipe tobacco supply and this thread will be closed. Consider yourselves warned.
-Jason

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
Thanks Jason. You are right. Unixhelp / Rob - Wow! You are in serious serious need of an education in this area, and a de-brain-washing.
Do me a favor and don't post any more asinine drivel, and read the book:
"For Your Own Good: The Anti-Smoking Crusade and the Tyranny of Public Health" by Jacob Sullum
Here's a link. I suggest having it overnighted -

http://www.amazon.com/For-Your-Own-Good-Anti-Smoking/dp/0684827360

rickpal14

Lifer
Jun 9, 2011
Thanks Kevin!!!! You hit the nail on the head!!! I for one am cellaring to make sure that I have the blends that I like in the future and if that pays off financially (by beating future tax increases) even better!!

gecko13

Feb 2, 2011
Goodyear,AZ
I'm glad cooler heads prevailed, I was arming the photon torpedoes.
Back to the question at hand about how much time and stocking up. I think tobacco will always be available, the question is at what cost. Even if illegal, it will be available. (look how well prohibition worked out.) We'll just be cruising dark allies in the darkness searching out for our "connection." I squawk, write letters, and vote. My back up plan is to order an extra couple tins and some bulk with every order. You'd be very surprised how quickly your cellar will grow. Even if at some point you find you have something you can't stand...we all network here and I'm sure you will always be able to swap with someone, and in the end wind up with something you both will like.
My 2 cents worth. (which due to inflation and devaluation of the dollar, is worth less and less each day)
:puffpipe:

cacooper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 28, 2009
Parker, CO
Greetings all,
Time is running short. A far as taxes are concerned.
Read it and weep. And keep stocking up!
http://www.natocentral.org/?p=1594
P.S. Notice the party affiliation of the perps. Vote responsibly this Nov. Just sayin'.
No cheers,
CACooper

waznyf

Apr 24, 2012
Texas
Thanks for all of the answers everyone! Makes me and my wallet happy to know that we have time :)

I won't quit smoking any sort of tobacco due to an increase in cost! I don't care if it makes me go broke (hehe okay so maybe I do but I am smooth as butter so I will manage)!

Sorry if this thread caused some conflict, it was not my intent.

Just placed a couple orders to try some tobaccos and hopefully if I find some that I really enjoy, I can stock up on those.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
Thanks for stepping in, Kevin. I'm sorry if I stepped over the line. But as smokers it's together we stand or divided we fall.
The good news is that awareness seems to be spreading within the smoking community. The bad news is that pipe smokers are still an underdog based on numbers and lobbying dollars. Keep fighting the good fight.

bigmike

Apr 24, 2012
The good news is that awareness seems to be spreading within the smoking community. The bad news is that pipe smokers are still an underdog based on numbers and lobbying dollars. Keep fighting the good fight.
Well said......

leonardw

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 30, 2011
A couple of issues at work - When/what type of tax increase will occur, and when will pipe tobacco come under the scope of FDA.
Regarding taxes, I would like to think we're at least a year away from any sort of movement, but a bill like the Tobacco Tax Equity Act would tend to get plent of support from machine made cigarette manufacturers, so it's hard to say.
Regarding the FDA, they are pushing hard right now. Very likely that cigars will come under their scope in early 2013. If they succeed there, pipe tobacco won't be far behind.

unixhelp

Lurker
May 24, 2012
Last time I was in the states I noticed a few "bagged" bulk "pipe" tobaccos that were essentially cigarette tobacco. I wonder in the long term could these hurt the pipe smoker community with respect to FDA regulations ?
Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.