How Much Tobacco can You Cross the Border With?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

36 Fresh Tsuge Pipes
4 Fresh Scott Thile Pipes
New Cigars
2 Fresh Chris Asteriou Pipes
6 Fresh Castello Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
This may require some input from my Canadian bretheren, but how much tobacco can I legally carry across the border? I'm making a trip to Buffalo, NY on the 26th and I want to make sure I know how much tobacco I can purchase when I come back across the border. Since tobacco in the USA costs around 10% of what it costs at home I want to stock up with as much as I can. Legally of course, I'm travelling with my kids so I don't want any hassles.

gray4lines

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 6, 2012
KY
I found this and it looks like only 200g :(
If you are a Canadian resident or a temporary resident of Canada returning from a trip outside Canada, or a former Canadian resident returning to live in Canada, you are allowed to bring a limited amount of tobacco and tobacco products (cigarettes, cigars, cigarillos, tobacco sticks, tobacco) into the country without having to pay duty or taxes as long as:
the tobacco accompanies you, and

you have been outside Canada for more than 48 hours.

You may bring in:
200 cigarettes

50 cigars or cigarillos

200 grams (7 ounces) of manufactured tobacco, and

200 tobacco sticks.

Note: A special duty will apply to cigarettes, tobacco sticks or manufactured tobacco unless they are marked "CANADA - DUTY PAID ? DROIT ACQUITTÉ." Canadian-made products sold at duty-free shops are marked this way.
It speeds things up if you have your tobacco products available for inspection when you arrive at the border.
Bringing More Than the Personal Allowance of Tobacco Into Canada
Returning Canadian residents may bring in more than the personal allowances of tobacco listed above as long as you pay full duties, taxes and provincial or territorial fees on the extra. Canadian-made products marked "CANADA - DUTY PAID ? DROIT ACQUITTÉ" are taken into account when customs officials calculate what you must pay.
And this
Yes looks like 200g, tax free. Or you pay duties on excess amounts

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Okay. . . what's a "tobacco stick"? Thought maybe that was Canadian legalese for "cigarettes," but they actually use both words in the same sentence. . .
BTW, 200g seems like a very small amount of tobacco. That's only four tins! But I guess they're trying to protect all of the Canadian tobacco manufacturers. . . Oh, wait. . .
Bob

gray4lines

Nov 6, 2012
KY
Okay. . . what's a "tobacco stick"? Thought maybe that was Canadian legalese for "cigarettes," but they actually use both words in the same sentence. . .
Lol! I assume cigar
Edit: nevermind I see cigars listed separately as well...

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Here's a question, though: Is this import limit based on individuals or family units? If the former, it might be fun to see how many adults you can squeeze into your car for the trip.
Bob

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
Unfortunately it's only me and my 10 year old daughter going, don't think they'll let me use her as part of the exemption!

gray4lines

Nov 6, 2012
KY
From my second link:
Tobacco: If you meet the age requirements of the province or territory where you enter Canada, you are allowed to bring the following amounts of tobacco without paying duty: up to 200 cigarettes, 50 cigars, 200 grams (7 oz) of manufactured tobacco and 200 tobacco sticks.
The "and" makes it sound like you can have some of each as opposed to only one out of the category
Edit: Yes, you may bring "all" of that listed. So it isn't so bad if you can find out what a "tobacco stick" is!
From http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/pub/bsf5056-eng.html#s2x14
If you are 18 years of age or over, you are allowed to bring in all of the following amounts of tobacco into Canada free of duty and taxes within your personal exemption:
200 cigarettes;

50 cigars;

200 grams (7 ounces) of manufactured tobacco; and

200 tobacco sticks.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
Thanks PA, but I can't open the damn message, I see it there but I don't know how to get to it :x

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
Done that RothnH, didn't work either, tried on my phone, tablet and laptop, no go for all three

Jan 21, 2013
brdavidson,
A friend and I have been heading to the US 2 or 3 times a year for a while now. Last time coming back we each had 7oz of pipe tobacco as we were in for over 48 hours and had no problems with our crossing, other than being searched (probably because we were down to New Hampshire and at the LC). There was nothing mentioned about the pipe tobacco. Actually, I think we said we had 8oz. We presented the receipts for what we had purchased. Just remember to be honest with the amount you have - it's just not worth trying to sneak back any extra!
It amazes me at how much cheaper tobacco is in the US. We found a really nice tobacco shop in Biddeford, Maine and we stop in every time we go by. Lots of selection and the owner seems very nice.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Just curious: Are you truly limited in how much tobacco you can bring back from the U.S.? Couldn't you bring back 10lbs if you wanted to. . . you would just need to pay the customs/duties/whatever on that amount?
Bob

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
That's true, however the duty is ridiculous. Last year I bought 2 bottles of liquor (my wife was with me so I figured we were ok) after staying there for 40 hours, and I paid over $60 in duties as I declared them upon re-entry. So you can bring back as much as you want but then you are paying the ridiculous Canadian "sin" taxes which completely wipes out any savings. At that rate I may as well purchase from my local B&M instead of shopping online or in the states.

schmitzbitz

Lifer
Jan 13, 2011
Port Coquitlam, B.C.
Just curious: Are you truly limited in how much tobacco you can bring back from the U.S.? Couldn't you bring back 10lbs if you wanted to. . . you would just need to pay the customs/duties/whatever on that amount?
You can bring a maximum of 1kg (2.2045lbs) of loose tobacco into Canada; any amount above and beyond that amount will be seized unless you have special licensure. 1kg would net you around $360 in duties if you tried to cross into the province of British Columbia (each province has different C&D rates on tobacco products).
I wouldn't suggest trying to cross the border for a short stay with 200g of pipe tobacco, 50 cigars, a carton of cigarettes, and a carton of tobacco sticks (an 'insert-tube' of RYO tobacco held together with an extremely thin paper, slides into a regular cigarette filter-tube; or a tailor-made cigarette that you slide a filter onto, Number 7 sold them for years to get around taxation up here), although you may get in with your product and be able to argue that you shouldn't owe duty on it, it's more likely that you will be be offered two options; one - allow them to destroy most of it, or two - pay duties in the $800 range. On top of that, it would give CBSA a reason to hassle you at the border - and do you really want to deal with that with a ten-year old?

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
schmitzbitz:
Thanks for the great clarification! (I especially appreciated learning what a "tobacco stick" was, since that came up in another thread about what's allowed to pass into Canada. As far as I'm aware, we don't have such things in the States.)
Sounds like we need a second Statue of Liberty at the Canadian border: "Send us your tired, your poor, your overburdened smokers..." And, hey, it's even a little warmer down here. . . :)
Bob

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
Good point schmitz, I wasn't planning on trying to pull a fast one, just wanted to find out my legal limits so I could bring back some cheaper tobacco. I agree not worth doing that with my daughter in the van. Oh well, I'll just pick up my limit and maybe a pipe while I'm down there.

nobail

Might Stick Around
Dec 26, 2011
Oregon
So if I'm heading up to BC for a three week fishing trip, am I limited to the same 200 g? I might have that much by vacuuming the camper rug.

Status
Not open for further replies.