PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

changojoe

Might Stick Around
Jan 5, 2010
Hello! some one just asked me .. "how much nicotine is there in pipe tobacco? compared to cigarettes and cigars?? I really don't know. so maybe some one here has an idea.

bubbadreier

Lifer
Jul 30, 2010
Norman, Oklahoma
I was just discussing this with my Neighbor. He asked me if I get a nicotine buzz (we both quit smoking cigarettes around the same time) now that I am smoking a pipe... I didn't think so and I mentioned that I don't think there is much in pipe tobacco... It was a long convo that ended with us both confused! I would love some clarification if any one here has any!

maineyachtie

Can't Leave
Aug 14, 2010
I couldn't say what the actual range in nicotine content is. Has that has ever been defined? However, I do know based on personal experience that the range is quite great. I've had blends which appear to have little nicotine and others that made me nauseous and light headed after half a bowl.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
There is definitely Vitamin N in pipe tobacco.

Some blends have more than others.

Some are very light, some are not.

There has been a number of discussions on this subject over the last several months.
Furandfeather started a string that was very interesting:
Strongest Blends

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
A few will leave you wandering around wondering who you are . Most though I have had no problem with.

surfmac211

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 28, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
If there is any question whether you can get the "n buzz" from pipe tobacco, just try Peterson Irish flake. This will hit you harder IMO more than cigs. I made the mistake the first time smoking a full bowl of it in a large pipe and about passed out. Its a great tobacco though.

collindow

Jul 15, 2010
Portland, OR
I think Mac Baren Acadian Perique may be pretty high in nicotine; I definitely got a buzz off of the bowl of it I had today!

chuckw

Oct 7, 2009
As Lawerence said, it varies with different blends. Light aromatics don't seem to me to be very strong but the brown ropes will set me down. The black ropes aren't far behind.

A word of warning. Bushmill's, G&H Brown #2 and an empty stomach do NOT play together at all!!!

louisrmantha

Lurker
Mar 4, 2010
Most good tobacconist will tell you the nicotine content of a tobacco buy its strength. This way you can avoid too much of nicotine buzzes. Also there is a point I also would like to bring up.
Since the nicotine isn’t introduce in your blood stream by your lungs, since we don’t inhale the smoke. It will be introduced by your gums, the buzz can be delayed. So personal dental hygiene is to consider and you can easily make your own color check to see how you’re gums are doing. Since my wife is a dental hygienist, she gave me a few tips.
Healthy gums should be pink, the closer your gums get to red, the more you should worried. Inflamed gums will induce nicotine faster in your system and could cause gum disease. So! Brush and floss. Also for heavy smoker if your gums color are going toward a greyish white. This means you’re killing your gums and putting your teeth at risk. So smoke responsively.
So, good dental hygiene and normal smoking habit are also important for nicotine intake.
Let’s keep this a healthy pass-time.

Reactions: Pipelady20
Status
Not open for further replies.