PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

davek

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 20, 2014
How long does it take to get at least some marrying of tobacco if you are creating a blend? I've heard of at least 6 months for a blend to marry with quick and dirty marrying happening under pressure in a week. How much marrying could you see in a jarred blend in a week or two?
I've been smoking whole leaf, usually cigar leaf, in a pipe. A "blend" for me is an ounce or two, maybe throwing some Havana in with some Maryland for the weekend. How much will these blends marry over a relatively short time if I make some ahead? Like... in a week?, two?, a month?
Edited by jvnshr: Title capitalization.

prairiedruid

Lifer
Jun 30, 2015
There are so many factors that could effect "marrying": pressure, type of tobacco, type of cut, moisture, temperature.....

davek

Mar 20, 2014
Sometimes I'll "can" tobacco to try to rush "marrying" (or whatever). I'll throw a tiny amount of water with the tobacco in a canning jar and boil the jar for 5-10 minutes with the lid on loose. Then tighten the lid and boil a bit more.
I'm guessing I get a little stoving and I definitely get a vacuum seal. Maybe the vacuum would help flavors meld? I dunno.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I like to give my blends that a whip up at least a month in the jar before I smoke them. I find that a month will make a dramatic difference.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I age tobacco and don't blend, mostly as the attempts I made to do so about two years into smoking failed. My aging benchmarks are 2, 5 and 10 y/o.

fuzzyblends

Lurker
Oct 23, 2017
Russ O once wrote a piece about letting fresh blends from P&C marry for at least 45 days before smoking since they don't have the space to age the tobacco. Seems reasonable for stuff packed tightly in a container.
If you really want flavors to marry intensely, just put it in a freezer bag, wrap the bag in foil for extra protection. Then leave a brick on it.
That's how you make "shooter sandwich" (an actual steak sandwich) and short of making a real crumble kake, it should "force the marriage".
ref: Someone making a "shooter sandwich": https://i.imgur.com/XI57NLm.jpg

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Like prairiedruid said, there are too many variables affecting the process, IMO.

I never had any good results in home blending and tweaking; and with what, 5000 blends out there, I have more fun sampling those with descriptions that appeal to me.

davek

Mar 20, 2014
I like to give my blends that a whip up at least a month in the jar before I smoke them. I find that a month will make a dramatic difference.
So a month will give me a big change. Thanks so much for this answer.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
I have had awesome success with marrying. I definitely got the better of the deal. It has lasted more than 25 years!
Wait, are talking about rings, white dress, etc?

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
That's what I was wondering Winton! Then there was talk about plastic bags, bricks, etc. What's wrong with these guys?

Status
Not open for further replies.