How Much Hassle & Risk When Buying a Pipe From Italy?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
I've dealt with a lot of repair-related international shipping over the years, but never purchased something (a pipe) directly from Italy for myself.
Customs, duty, hold-ups, additional taxes, etc. etc. can anyone here fill me in? Avoid? No biggie?
(This tag is what got me worried):
Italy_insts.jpg

Jun 27, 2016
I've had some delivered a couple days after ordering, usually DHL and needs a sig. Some take longer. No VAT tax or customs problems buying from the US. Had good luck with Bollito, Moretti, Pascia.

Jan 8, 2013
I've read that ordering from Al Pascia is easy and that delivery is very quick.
:rofl: Understatement of the century! :rofl: No joke, two days to Texas. I'm still mindblown on how that's even possible.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Looks like clear sailing, so I did the deed...
:D :D :D
Muchacho gracioso, Kevinboarders :puffy:

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
I've bought briars from Italy and Meerschaums from Turkey. It did take about three days longer to get the Meerschaum but no problems.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
Can’t wait to see what you got.
I buy from Italy often. Floppy Pipe, Finest Lighters, Al Pascia. All are great and I have never waited more than 5-7 days for delivery.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
The suspense is killing me. What did you purchase?
This be the critter:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/DUNHILL-SHELL-ODA-848-F-T-UNSMOKED-NEW-FROM-1985-PIPA-PIPE-PFEIFEN/263572650557?hash=item3d5e277a3d:g:hh8AAOSwwARat6K3
I've been past collection-growth pipe buying for a long time, only adding a lucky find outlier every 18 months or so, but found myself actively looking for "cherry on top / possibly final pipe" over the past several weeks. Something symbolic to help me power through some health problems I've been dealing with the past year. (How, I'm not sure, it just felt right somehow, and fitting.)
Anyway, it looks perfectly cut, and has that lovely, uniform "pebble" blast that's both desirable and uncommon. Figured it would make make a sweet trio with these two:
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/1969-dunhill-bruyere-oda-shape-848
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/1962-dunhill-tanshell-oda-shape-848

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
George, great looking pipe. Nothing beats a Dunhill for that classic look. I hope it smokes great for you and congrats on a fine addition to your collection.

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
No hassle at all! I regularly buy from Noli, Novelli, Corti, Bolito, Sisimbro, and Floppy Pipes. Never once had an issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.