PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jabo

Can't Leave
Jan 26, 2016
Ok guys, just to get our minds off football, the FDA, etc. Just wondering as Sir Walter Raleigh. How much does the smoke weigh. Please be scientific, this is really serious .

tinsel

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2015
Well, smoke, I think, is basically particulate matter mixed with air, so that particulate should have some mass independent of the air it's mixed with.
I suppose you could load a pipe, weigh it, and then smoke it to the bottom without dumping any of the ash. Weight it again afterwards and you would have a rough idea of how much mass had been lost through the burning process. Although I would guess most of the weight loss would be from the water which was evaporated from the tobacco.
Still, it would give you a starting point.

jabo

Can't Leave
Jan 26, 2016
Tcoyote, pat answer, ya really beat around the Bush . Nate, we really think alike, can't wait to meet ya. Ok any other "scientific scientific answers "? "

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
It rises so it weighs less for volume than the air, if that helps, if it's correct.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
tim-and-eric-mind-blown.gif

randelli

Nov 21, 2015
Can you have flame in a vacuum? I would think that if you eliminated one of the three components of fire, fuel/heat/oxygen, you would have no fire.

jabo

Can't Leave
Jan 26, 2016
Gee, this was a lark, I didn't know it would become so philosophical. Man, we have some strength here . That's what I'm looking for w

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
1Coyote, I hope that was snark. I know a shit ton about combustion and it's byproducts.
It's what I do for a living.
Btw, the answer of no flame in a vacuum is actually pretty simplistic.....you can under the right circumstances if you use compression of an oxidizer. It supplies it's own oxygen, but once that specialized oxidizer is consumed your flame goes out. And the flame doesn't really have a shape like you normally see. It's aspherical.

jabo

Can't Leave
Jan 26, 2016
Ok , guys, eneough, go back to your football games.HELL, This was just a thought provker . Hell, I guess It worked. Have a good pipe of your favorite mixture and enjoy. Love

randelli

Nov 21, 2015
Flame in zero gravity sounds cool! Is it a round blob?
I guess light bulbs work as flame in a vacuum. Actually the flame only works because the vacuum prevents the filament from burning up.

jabo

Can't Leave
Jan 26, 2016
Yeah. If you guys got any more questions on th I subject, please let me know. Although the answer may not be factual. ;-) However, I am delving into this realm of our mysterious hobby/ passion/ obsession. Good smokes all. ;-)

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
No such thing as a true vacuum in nature. They tried it. Pumped everything out. Shit came out of nowhere. Quantum Physics will get you every time. I'm just here to complicate things. :)

jabo

Can't Leave
Jan 26, 2016
I will come back to you guys with an empherical formula of how much smoke weighs. Thru through Federal testing that cannot be refuted. I rest my case !y'all have fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.