PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
There is a prodigy GBD that was listed on EBay this past week. It went unsold. The seller wanted 59 in a BIN. The stummel was unique and unusual and in good to excellent condition. The stem was butt ugly IMHO. Just an acrylic nightmare. I asked him if he were going to relist the pipe, after pointing out that the stem was most likely the issue. So how much does a replacement stem impact the value?

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
Contact Premal Chheda at Smokers Haven, he had/has some original Perspex GBD stems,you might send him a photo of the stummel and ask if the stem and stummel would be a good match, how much it would cost and you'll have a pretty good idea how much to offer for the stummel from the seller, I think you might find you'll hold out for a no issue GBD, regards.

banjo

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
So how much does a replacement stem impact the value?
The answer to that depends on whether or not the pipe in question is a collectible or an ultra high grade. If not in either of those categories, the answer is that a replacement stem will not adversely affect the nominal value of a pipe. With collectible British factory pipes a replacement stem will cause a decrease in value of roughly 20-25%. But if added to a pipe that was lacking a stem, it increases the value. With ultra high grade artisanal pipes, a replacement stem will significantly lower the value as the stem is considered to be as important as the stummel.

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
And if the replacement was made by the original artisan? In that case I would think the impact, with a few exceptions, negligible.

kanse

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 9, 2016
I am more comfortable with smoking an estate with a fresh stem rather than a used one.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm not a collector of fine artisan pipes, though I own a few, nor do I do restoration, so I am speaking more generally from shopping a lot online. If you are looking at a pipe as a collector or historical piece, I'd say the replacement stem is a deal killer, with the exception of the one made by the pipe carver him or herself that would pass essentially undetected or be forgiven if stated up front. Most of us on Forums are more focused on smoking pipes, so for us, a respectable replacement that matches the pipe well is mostly acceptable, I'd say. I think this is less true of Dunhills; since you are paying a lot for prestige, you want the whole Dunhill or none, though a replacement stem might be okay for someone who must have a Dunhill but really can't budget most estates. Then a replacement stem would make rather than break the deal. The main thing is, in shopping, I want the seller to know if a pipe has a replacement stem and to give an appropriate discount on that basis.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
And if the replacement was made by the original artisan? In that case I would think the impact, with a few exceptions, negligible.
I'd agree with that. I wonder if a star maker, like Ivarsson, made a replacement stem for a Nordh, would that make the pipe less valuable? With high end collectibles, the rules aren't always the same.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
On pipes with a readily identifiable stem logo, I'd say a replacement stem (lacking the logo) would drop the value 30-40% (Dunhill, Ashton, Comoy's, GBD).
A Prodigy is pretty far up the GBD food chain, with a good condition pipe selling around $100, so $59 isn't too far off the mark.
With high-end artisan pipes that have no identifiable stem logo, and a well done replacement stem, I'd wager most collectors would never know it was a replacement (and bet many have been sold that way to unwitting buyers)

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
With high-end artisan pipes that have no identifiable stem logo, and a well done replacement stem, I'd wager most collectors would never know it was a replacement (and bet many have been sold that way to unwitting buyers)
I'd agree with that as well. I've seen high prices on many collectible pipes with obvious replacement stems as well as other obvious plastic surgery. Most collectors clearly don't know what they're buying or perhaps don't care.

Status
Not open for further replies.