PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dpkrause

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 3, 2012
How many ounces do you smoke in a day? week? year? I am trying to gauge how much I smoke in year. It has been tough because the amount I smoke changes significantly with what I am doing. I work a weird rotating shift, so what I am doing is always changing.
When I do smoke, it is usually 2 bowls a day? You? If I am 36 now and I live to 86, how much tobacco do I need to last me a lifetime?

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
dpkrause:
Not sure how knowing how much I smoke will help you decide how much tobacco you need. . . ?
Both sides of your question get asked a lot here: "How many bowls are in a 2oz. tin?" and "How many bowls a day do you smoke?" The answer to the former is approximately 20 bowls. Of course, that varies depending on the size of the pipe and the cut of the blend, but 20 bowls per 2oz/50g tin is a usable estimate.
If you smoked 2 bowls a day, every day, for a month, you would go through about three 2oz. tins. Times twelve months: 36 tins. And because 8 2oz. tins make 1 pound, this would be 4 and half pounds of tobacco annually. But let's be safe. Call it 5 lbs. a year, for purposes of building up your cellar. If you live 50 more years and continue at your current rate of consumption, then 250 pounds of tobacco should see you through. (But if you buy all of that tomorrow, just know that some of it will be long past its prime by the time you celebrate your 85th birthday! Also, keep in mind that your consumption might double once you slow down on your work schedule at 65-70.)
And, not that it's helpful to you, I smoke 3-4 pipes a day, five days a week. That works out to about 6 and a half pounds annually. I'm 51 years old, and I currently have about 130 pounds of tinned tobacco in my cellar.
Bob

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
2-3 oz a month.
Average a bowl a day.
A safe amount of leaf to last til the end of my days should be around 300lbs.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
A safe amount of leaf to last til the end of my days should be around 300lbs.
Well, that would be "safe," all right! Especially since 3oz. a month comes to 2 and one-quarter pounds a year. At that rate, 300 pounds would last you 133 more years!

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
Well, After retirement, I don't know how much I will be smoking. It could quadruple.
I'm only 25.

dpkrause

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 3, 2012
I am going to start tracking my my tobacco more closely to get a better idea of what I consume. Right now I am estimating hog at 3 tins or 6 ounces per month. This translates into 4.5 pounds per year or 225 pounds over 50 years. Now to start cellaring. First goal is 10 pounds by midsummer and 25 pounds by end of this year.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
2 bowls a day at 4 grams per bowl equals 2920 grams per year which equals 6.43 pounds per year. A 50 year supply you will need 321 pounds of tobacco.
I smoke 4 -5 bowls a day so I am looking at 250 pounds for a 25 year supply. I am at 123 pounds now so about half way there. I plan on being at 250 by the end of this year.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
And once you have your cellar all done... YOU'LL STILL BUY MORE!
Because there will be new stuff, and you'll want to try the new stuff, and you'll justify it because the more new stuff you smoke the more stuff you leave to age in the cellar and get older and better.
It's a slippery slope for sure.
At least that's how my experience will probably play out.

jonahtke

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2012
I limit myself to a bowl or two a week (keeps the wife from being too grumpy about it).

Dec 24, 2012
I have been tracking my smoking and at my current pace I would smoke only about 3.5 pounds per year. I already have 111 pounds in the cellar, so I figure I have a little north of a 30 year supply. My goal is 200 pounds by year end. Not saying I will stop then though. I do think it could be a wise investment.

Aug 14, 2012
I haven't measured in years but it is probably not much more. It was half a pound a month. In bowls I am at 7-12 daily.

hodirty

Lifer
Jan 10, 2013
I smoke anywhere from 5-8 bowls a day. about 5 ounces a month. Im only 20, and im not even doing the math on that lol.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
hodirty:
Clearly! :) If you're smoking, say, 5-8 bowls a day, you're closer to 5oz. a week.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
I'm only smoking maybe 5 or 6 bowls a week to keep the family happy. If I could I'd smoke 3 to 4 bowls a day.
I wish I had Harris' cellar. My wife would try to kill me and I'd be broke but I'd have plenty of tobacco. :rofl:

Aug 1, 2012
Some of you guys are more pipe owner, than pipe smoker :wink:
True that. I only smoke about 6 bowls a week, what I have time for with my job, but it almost seems as if the pipe owns me. PAD and TAD have full hold and if I didn't have to work 12+ hours a day, I'd probably be smoking a lot more.

Status
Not open for further replies.