Pipes Magazine » Pipe Smoking Basics & Beginner Questions

Tags:  No tags yet. 

How Many Tobaccos in Your Rotation?

(79 posts)
  1. kylef

kylef

Login to Send PM

Okay, so I've been smoking a pipe, albeit somewhat infrequently, for a little over two years.

I've made it a point to try a whole range of tobaccos, all kinds of aromatics, English and Virginias. I think I've tried about 15 different ones so far. A couple of them have stuck out for me as favorites, particularly MacBaren's 7 Seas Regular, but really, I've liked virtually every one I've tried.

But when I read all the descriptions of all these hundreds of different blends, I just want to keep trying new ones.

What do more experienced pipers lean towards, as far as how many blends do you rotate? Do you primarily smoke a favorite, and occasionally mix in something else? Do you have four or five blends that you go back and forth with?

Right now, I pretty much never smoke the same thing twice in a row--I love the variety.

I know there's no "right" answer, but I'm just curious as to what others do.

Posted 9 months ago #
  2. unkleyoda

unkleyoda

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My rotation has 2 types English and Virginia types

My English rotation:
    Nightcap
    Blairgowrie
    Star of the East
    Latakia Flake
    Balkan Delight
    Dunhill Standard Mixture

Virginia Mixes:
    Escudo
    PS Luxury Navy Flake
    Bullseye Flake
    Royal Yacht

I have a few others that come into and out of the rotations, but that is my core.

Proper English
    HH Vintage Syrian
    HH Bold Kentucky
    Irish Flake
    Old Dublin
    The Solent Mixture
    Golden Sliced

and a few others.

So you say you can drink? Well, I'm from Wisconsin. Try to keep up.
    Posted 9 months ago #
  3. bnichols23

Bill Nichols

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hi, Kyle, & welcome! Me, I go pretty much across the board. I like aromatics, but also heavy latakia blends too (as well as just straight). Any good curly cut (any of the 3 Nuns blends, for example) or a good flake or cake. My favorite cake is Black Frigate by Cornell & Diehl; they also make some other very good blends. Just about anything of theirs is worthy. McBaren's Navy flake is a favorite too. Lane's BCA is probably my preferred aromatic. 1Q is also good, along with Sutliff's 245 ZBC. For me personally I prefer the lat-bombs, 3 Nuns, & others, but to be around people I generally smoke aromatics.

Bill

Head Black Frigate keelhauler, boss powder monkey, & troublemaker 1st class.
    Posted 9 months ago #
  4. wyfbane

wyfbane

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have like 40+ tiny jam jars of bits and ends that are in rotation.

Posted 9 months ago #
  5. artificialme

artificialme

Login to Send PM

my current cellar / rotation now is :
    1. PS English luxury
    2. Robert mcConnell Scottish Cake
    3. Timm London Blend 1000
    4. Formosa - Indonesian made English Blend
    5. Dwipantara - Indonesian made Virginia Flake
    6. Warunadwipa - Indonesian made Burley base blend
    7. Mr Tambourine - Indonesian made Oriental blend with tambolaka in it
    8. 2-3 kinds of Indonesian oriental OTC Blend

I usually smoke 1 blend for 2-3 days and rotating them after. I Hope that I can smoke some dunhill blend in near future. those blend price is skyrocketing here in Indonesia

Adhie was here
    Posted 9 months ago #
  6. tschiraldi

tschiraldi

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I try to keep my number of open tins to less than 10. I have 7 open now.

Posted 9 months ago #
  7. blackadderlxx

blackadderlxx

Login to Send PM

My original intent when I switched over from cigars last year was to "keep it simple". Then I discovered that Frog Morton's Cellar was no longer available, so my search for why led me to here and learning of the FDA deeming. So I went from "simple" to try everything I could that was made after 2007 to see what I like and start stashing.

I say all that to say I have a lot of blends that are jarred up right now from trying them out. Of those if something strikes me as love at first light, I'll start buying it up like crazy. So far I've got pounds of Chelsea Morning, Plum Pudding, LNF and LBF. These are the blends that I can't live without. If Maltese Falcon ever comes back around, I'll add some of that too. These are the closest I have to a rotation. What I'm doing more than anything is exploring different things to stash before the hammer falls and trying to finish up the 25-30 open jars I've got. It's kind of ridiculous at this point.

Posted 9 months ago #
  8. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My rotation is ridiculous.

Ubi Ignis Est?
    Posted 9 months ago #
  9. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

^^ This.

I have dozens of blends cellared. I just pick what I feel like smoking when I feel like smoking it. No structure to it at all.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

It is pointless to argue with a fanatic since a dim bulb can't be converted into a searchlight. - Jesse Silver
    Posted 9 months ago #
  10. scloyd

scloyd

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have about 15 jars of tobacco in my rotation. Out of those I have 6 that I smoke on a regular basis.

John Cotton's Smyrna
    Presbyterian
    Sutliff Heavy English
    Mac Baren Symphony
    Sutliff Molto Dolce
    Rattray's Exotic Passion

and just recently C&D Corn Cob Pipe with a Button Nose.

Posted 9 months ago #
  11. jaytex969

jaytex969

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I also fall into the "ridiculous" camp.

I came to pipe smoking from the vaping scene, where I learned all about the FDA deeming stuff, so I hit the ground running with the intent of building a cellar.

I accrued a retarded amount of tobacco in the last 16 months. It's 95% non-aro, many blends I've not even tasted.

I've smoked enough of each "category" to be confident that I'll enjoy it whenever I get around to it. The only two blends I've not liked, to date, were both tinged with kitchen spices.

I've three boxes full of ziplock bags of remnants from jarring or from buying "mixed lots" of samples or "odd & ends"

I'm about to add on the saltedplug wing to my house now......

Gunner, Black Frigate. Say "Hello" to my little friend!
    Posted 8 months ago #
  12. mindglue

mindglue

Login to Send PM

Lets add more chaos to the "ridiculous camp"
    I picked up pipe smoking in 2015, and since that tried more than 300 hundred different blends. End result: have ~300 jars of different blends. So far, I finished only 3 or 4 tins completely. I cellared some tobacco tins, somewhere around 30-40 lbs., not really deep. I don't have aro blends, my cellar is mainly VA/VAPER (around 70%) and Oriental/English. I have no any specific rotation whatsoever, will pick up what I am in a mood to smoke.. I noticed that "Escudo", OGS, 3P's, "Balkan Blue", "Embarcadero", some Solani and Rattrays being smoked more often.

Posted 8 months ago #
  13. chasingembers

Embers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

I have dozens of blends cellared. I just pick what I feel like smoking when I feel like smoking it. No structure to it at all.

Same here.

Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you.
    -Edward Teach
    Posted 8 months ago #
  14. User has not uploaded an avatar

ukbob

Login to Send PM

Usually between 3-4 blends.

Posted 8 months ago #
  15. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

8-12 jars or tins in active "rotation", though I tend to smoke more Smyrna, Fr. Dempsey, Vintage Syrian, Margate, Bagpiper's Dream, Balkan Flake. The latter two will not be replaced, so I am smoking them to clean house, so to speak. Not bad, just not my cuppa. Many other tins on the counter waiting to pounce.

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 8 months ago #
  16. tavol

tavol

Login to Send PM

When I first started pipe smoking, like most, I was keen to try as many blends as possible and at one point I had around 40 different blends open and it ended up being very confusing. I was taking hours to choose what blend to smoke and I was struggling to remember the subtle difference between blends from the same genre so I ended up limiting my rotation to a max of 12 blends. I have no fixed rotation but I normally have a mix of Virginia, VaPer and English blends open and a mix of new to me blends and old favourites.

Posted 8 months ago #
  17. judcole

Jud

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

There is what I am currently smoking - my rotation (usually about 20). There are the tins or jars that I am going to open as soon as I finish something off from the rotation - the pantry (6-8). And then there is the stuff that I am either deliberately again,or that I have a stash of for other reasons. (Lots.)

Thought in the early morning, solace in time of woes,
    Peace in the hush of the twilight, balm ere my eyelids close
    Rudyard Kipling
    Posted 8 months ago #
  18. mikethompson

mikethompson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The benefit of not having a lot of space to devote to pipes, tobaccos, and paraphernalia is that it keeps my rotation small. I have about 5 jars that I can pick from.

-Elizabethan Mixture
    -Gaslight
    -Captain Earle's Honour Blend
    -Irish Flake
    -Christmas Cheer 2015

Posted 8 months ago #
  19. workman

workman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I started out sampling as many blends as I could. It left me with too many open tins and jars and I really like to keep things simple. So I tried to finish some of my open tins and scale down. Now I heve a rotation of 5-6 tobaccos that I consider daily smokes. One or two is always something new. And I also have 3-4 heavier blends for those late night smokes with a dram. ATM the daylies are: Marlin Flake, St James Flake, Capstan Blue Flake, B.S. Flake, Full Virginia Flake, Dunhill Flake, Acadian Perique, Mac Baren Navy Flake. Some of these are almost done. The Heavies are: Irish Flake, Old Dark Fired, Petersons Perfect Plug, Royal Yacht.
    I try to cellar the ones I like best and buy single tins of blends, I think I might enjoy. I try to keep it simple, but sometimes my curiosity gets the best of me and I end up with more open tins than I'd like. Well, it's all very enjoyable. I have 14 blends on hand, that I haven't tried, and another 15-20 that I know I like. The 14 will have to wait their turn.

Smoking is one of the leading causes of all statistics.
    Posted 8 months ago #
  20. blackadderlxx

blackadderlxx

Login to Send PM

Do any of you other 'ridiculous' category people find yourselves working to finish up some of your open tins/jars just to have less open tins/jars? Maybe it's my OCD but my 25-30 open tins are kinda driving me nuts...

Posted 8 months ago #
  21. chasingembers

Embers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

Do any of you other 'ridiculous' category people find yourselves working to finish up some of your open tins/jars just to have less open tins/jars? Maybe it's my OCD but my 25-30 open tins are kinda driving me nuts...

I've got over 200 pounds (around 80 blends) in my closet so I would have to say no. You can always jar those open tins.

Posted 8 months ago #
  22. haparnold

Hap

Login to Send PM

I have about 4 go-tos, and typically have 1-3 other tins open that I slowly work through.

De Gustibus Non Est Disputandum
    Posted 8 months ago #
  23. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I always have a déjà vu with these threads. I am never sure whether I have already posted or not, so...

I only keep open one Virginia, one VaPer, an aromatic, and a strong blend such as a twist or something similar. I will also maybe open something with latakia or dark fired for the colder evenings.

Michael
    Posted 8 months ago #
  24. irishearl

irishearl

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've always been a simple guy as it were as relates to that in that I've always only smoked 2 blends at a time. Always my current 2 favorites. Right now it is C&D Red Odessa and C&D Stratfordshire.

Posted 8 months ago #
  25. peckinpahhombre

peckinpahhombre

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Maybe it's my OCD but my 25-30 open tins are kinda driving me nuts...

Yeah, I can't stand more than 3 or 4 tins open at a time so I limit my open tins to that. I guess it's my OCD, which is also what leads me to cellar in some quantity. As a buddy once said, when it comes to tobacco, I am the middle-aged male equivalent of one of those crazy cat ladies.

Right now I have open ODF, some old Three Nuns from the 90s, HU Directors Cut and Barbary Coast.

Posted 8 months ago #
  26. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Whatever peck says, he has a (beautifully restored and appointed) barn in which to store and enjoy his blends.

Posted 8 months ago #
  27. bnichols23

Bill Nichols

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Digger, you say that like the rest of you isn't.... [grin, duck, & run like blazes}

Posted 8 months ago #
  28. jrenko

jrenko

Login to Send PM

I have around 10 different blends opened right now and i just pick the one i want at that moment and fill my pipe. When something is out i sometimes open a new one of the same blend or i pick something else that i want to smoke.

Posted 8 months ago #
  29. carolinachurchwarden

carolinachurchwarden

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Don't really have one, just have a whole bunch of tins and jars that I pull from what I want, when I want. Sometimes I find myself reaching for Maltese Falcon when all at once...

A strong, gale force wind blows in from the east with the smell of rum in the air.....

I start having visions of pirates dancing around a fire pit, drinking and singing.....

Some...mysterious force grabs me by the wrist and steers me in the direction of an open tin....

One that sits very prominently on my desk.....

One that has the delicious aroma of latakia and rum.....

And I can't help but give in and pull the lid off that tin and what do you think lies within?!

The black sails of the mighty Black Frigate, matey, that's what!

Then I start talking like a pirate as I feverishly rip, tear, and shred a portion of that cake and stuff it in me bowl!

Other times, I can reach through quickly enough to snag a jar of this or that English blend or a pouch of this or that. When I can beat back the wenches that sing songs of pure delight that steer me towards the Frigate, the possibilities are endless!

"If you can't send money, send tobacco." - George Washington

Posted 8 months ago #
  30. bluto

bluto

Login to Send PM

I pick over a half dozenn bulk baggies and homemade blends for now , everything else is sealed up tight

There’s a couple Balkan types , 1Q , Kendal flake , western sunrise , a cherry aro , Dunhill EM and a borkum duff which got white and fuzzy and tossed out no love lost .

“listen: there’s a hell
    of a good universe next door; let’s go”
    Posted 8 months ago #
  31. shanez

shanez

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have like 40+ tiny jam jars of bits and ends that are in rotation.

This.

Posted 8 months ago #
  32. paulie66scandinavian

Paul

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

2 to maximum four blends open at any given time,I like keeping it simple.

Paul The Scandinavian'
    Posted 8 months ago #
  33. mikefu

mikefu

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have 26 open right now. I used to limit it down to 10, but decided to just smoke whatever I have a hankerin’ for. My Jar bill increased, but so did my satisfaction.

Posted 8 months ago #
  34. User has not uploaded an avatar

biguspipus

Login to Send PM

Currently opened tins/bulk:
    Sutliff - Aromatic English 504
    Arango - Balkan Supreme
    C&D - Super Balkan
    Kramer's - Father Dempsey
    SPC - Potlatch

Cellar/Closet:
    30+ other blends, tins and bulk

I try to limit myself to 5 open tins at one time. Not always successful.

Posted 8 months ago #
  35. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'd guess I have twenty open tins, jars, and samples available, and many sealed tins, jars I don't open, and tubs aging at the ready. No strict rotation, but I try to use everything open and available as the mood strikes me.

Posted 8 months ago #
  36. lordofthepiperings

lordofthepiperings

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I probably have around 40 or 50 different blends in my cellar right now.

Currently I'm working on narrowing it down to to maybe a half dozen or so blends to cellar deep on. Tin wise I'm loading up on Capstan Blue, Escudo, and Orlik Golden Sliced. Bulk wise I'm loading up on the Stokkebye flakes (bullseye, twist, navy) as well as Sutliff's 50C Va slices, and Newminster 403 Superior Round Slices. I might end up adding HH Burley Flake by Mac Baren to the cellaring mix.

As far as open goes, I live in Las Vegas where the humidity is roughly around 8-12% usually, so I only open one tin at a time and smoke through it before opening a new tin. If I had four or five tins open all at once they'd get way too dry for me before I'd finish them. I have thought about maybe taking a few mason jars for recently cracked tins to prolong the moisture level and have more variety on a weekly basis.

"The thinking man always smokes a Peterson." -Peterson of Dublin
    Posted 8 months ago #
  37. philobeddoe

Philo Beddoe

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I fall squarely into the “ridiculous” camp.

"So it goes." - K.V.
    Posted 8 months ago #
  38. admiral

admiral

Login to Send PM

Also ridiculous here

Posted 8 months ago #
  39. curl

curl

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I keep 12 or fewer blends in my current rotation.
    That’s because they’re in jars, and the best way I’ve found to keep these jars in a neat compact place is to use the little box with dividers that came with the jars when I bought them.

Now I’ve cracked open a lot of tins to try out new blends.
    Opening the tins means putting the contents into jars.
    Sometimes these jars are in my current rotation box, but sometimes the tobacco disappoints and the jars end up in the cellar.
    I guess what I mean is that a once opened jar ain’t necessarily in the current rotation.
    One attribute of my cellar is that the jars are in a place that ain’t easy to access.

Posted 8 months ago #
  40. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I am never sure whether I have already answered these type threads or not, but I only keep open about four blends, a Virginia, a VaPer, an aromatic, and one of the strong blends or twist to help me to go to sleep. And, as it gets colder I may add in a latakia or dark fired blend to compliment the colder season.

Posted 8 months ago #
  41. pepesdad1

pepesdad1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've got about 86 jars that I can pull in my rotation...the rest is bulk in ceramic jars just a agin'.

Posted 8 months ago #
  42. dottiewarden

dottiewarden

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Normally 4-6. At this precise moment I'm choosing among Peterson Irish Flake, Samuel Gawith Grousemoor, Hearth & Home Anniversary Kake and Mac Baren Cube Silver. I just ran out of Dunhill London Flake and McClelland Grey Haven so I'm musing over which 2 to crack open next. Likely contenders are Peterson Old Dublin, Peterson Irish Oak, Mac Baren Golden Extra, C & D Bijou and Dunhill Standard Mixture. Another possibility is an aged tin of a Peterson seasonal blend.

Dot
    Posted 8 months ago #
  43. dottiewarden

dottiewarden

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have thought about maybe taking a few mason jars for recently cracked tins to prolong the moisture level and have more variety on a weekly basis.

I never open a tin without jarring it promptly, as previously I felt to much pressure to finish a tin before it got too dry. The reason I limit myself to 4-6 blends in the rotation is that I find having too much choice complicates the decision making process. This practice also gives me a chance to miss a favorite blend for a while which lets me to look forward to the next time it comes around.

Posted 8 months ago #
  44. User has not uploaded an avatar

glaswegian

Login to Send PM

My favourites are the english Blends. So Normally 4-5 english/balkan, 3 VA or VA/Per and 2 Aromatics.

I would say about 10 tobaccos in Rotation.

Posted 8 months ago #
  45. folanator

folanator

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have 37.5 blends in the rotation.

I have about 6-8 "go to's" and about 20 "other" blends that I will pull on occasion.

Posted 8 months ago #
  46. rdavid

Panhandler

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

This...

I’m still in the newbie “try everything I can” stage. About 40 jars in rotation along with a handful of open pouches I’m trying to work through so I don’t have to jar them (OTC stuff that I’m actually really enjoying). Another 20ish jars in the cellar and about 20 unopened tins.

Problem is, my palate is definitely changing/evolving and I’ve recently discovered that I really like burleys. I’m fighting TAD as if it’s a heroin addiction.

80% of my collection is English/Lat blends that I seem to be moving away from so I definitely want to get some of that smoked up to even out the range of blends. Would like to have 3 or 4 of each type in rotation: English, Burleys, Va/VaPers etc. I have enough aromatics to last years.

"May my last breath be drawn through a pipe, and exhaled in a jest." Charles Lamb
    Posted 8 months ago #
  47. User has not uploaded an avatar

balindamood

Login to Send PM

3 Noggins
    Prespyterian
    Balkin Sasieni
    Seward's Folley
    Random aromatic that my wife will tolerate

Posted 8 months ago #
  48. mrmachado

Machado

Login to Send PM

Actually I have no access to more expensive tobacco.

My favourite one is neutral Seven Seas ($10-15). And in second place, Captain Black Royal ($15).

That's all I can afford, unfortunately.

Also, the more expensive ones are only available in the internet.

Posted 7 months ago #
  49. economistandfisherman

economistandfisherman

Login to Send PM

I have 7 in my rotation, plus one that I use for mixing (Gawith Hoggarth & Co, Top Black Cherry). My rotation tobaccos are pretty much all I smoke with the exception of when I make an order (every couple of months), I usually pick up something that I haven't tried before, but have yet to find anything that is better than what I have in rotation.

“It is not from the benevolence of the butcher, the brewer, or the baker that we expect our dinner, but from their regard to their own interest”
    Adam Smith
    Posted 7 months ago #
  50. economistandfisherman

economistandfisherman

Login to Send PM

Actually I have no access to more expensive tobacco. My favourite one is neutral Seven Seas ($10-15). And in second place, Captain Black Royal ($15). That's all I can afford, unfortunately. Also, the more expensive ones are only available in the internet.

Hi Machado, I'm curious about what you wrote...are you currently buying mostly online or locally, and is that Captain Black Royal for $15 a 1 1/2 oz pouch or a can?

Posted 7 months ago #
  51. spartacus

spartacus

Login to Send PM

I'm in the process of trying as many tobaccos as I can. I have about 125 jars now. I'm OCD though. When I smoke a tobacco I write a review of what I liked and didn't like. If I have it as a favorite I will order a few pounds and store it. If is an OK smoke I will jar it for a year and try it again. If I didn't like it I make a note to store it for a few years before trying it again. I am always looking for tobaccos to try.

Posted 7 months ago #
  52. timt

timt

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm still discovering great tobacco. Practically everything I own is in the rotation, plus the new stuff I'm trying out. Life's too short.

Tim
    Posted 7 months ago #
  53. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have a fairly wide range of blends I enjoy, so my rotation tends to evolve over time. Many blends that I enjoy enough to re-order, I don't because I am going on to yet other good blends. If I select thoughtfully, I usually like the new ones too. I smoke moderately, so it takes a long time to get through the approximately twenty opened tins and jars, plus samples, on hand. So my rotation usually lasts two or three months, before something is used up and something else is added as a replacement. There's plenty I would re-order, just not the need with so much appealing leaf on hand. For example, I have some McC's Dark Star and some El Nino on hand unopened, and both should be getting really good. Several other McC's and Dunhill blends at the ready, but unopened. So I can have a PAD attack right at home.

Posted 7 months ago #
  54. mechanic

mechanic

Login to Send PM

I dont really have a rotation im new im still searching but got some carter hall and captain black white pouch waiting on 4 Blends from smoking pipes so been trying local sourced otc

"I'm a kind person, I'm kind to everyone, but if you are unkind to me, then kindness is not what you will remember me for." - Al Capone
    Posted 7 months ago #
  55. nukesimi

nukesimi

Login to Send PM

When I buy large quantities or bulk I’ll open a tin or put a couple ounces in a small mason jar to sample. I probably have about thirty open blends. It keeps things exciting.

Posted 7 months ago #
  56. dottiewarden

dottiewarden

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Currently, I seem to be smoking more old favorites and less experimenting. 3/5 bowls smoked are blends I know and love.

Posted 7 months ago #
  57. mrmachado

Machado

Login to Send PM

Hi Machado, I'm curious about what you wrote...are you currently buying mostly online or locally, and is that Captain Black Royal for $15 a 1 1/2 oz pouch or a can?

Hey there! I buy locally... This price is for the 1 1/2 oz pouch. Do you think it's expensive?

Posted 7 months ago #
  58. User has not uploaded an avatar

bullet08

Login to Send PM

Posted 6 months ago #
  59. hoosierpipeguy

hoosierpipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I don't have a rotation. I have around 40 blends open and spontaneously choose whatever I'm in the mood for. I smoke 6 to 8 bowls per day. There are times when I don't smoke the same blend for two or three days in a row.

Posted 6 months ago #
  60. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I normally have around 20 tins and 6 or so bulks available to smoke. I like variety and find this number to be manageable. I never jar an open tin, I keep my open tins in rubberware like containers which keep them fresh for a very long time.

Harris
    Posted 6 months ago #
  61. User has not uploaded an avatar

instymp

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Harris, great idea.

Posted 6 months ago #
  62. User has not uploaded an avatar

redone

Login to Send PM

My regulars

H&H Chatham Manor
    Mac Baren HH Burley Flake
    PS Bullseye Flake
    Marlin Flake
    C&D Mississippi River

I sprinkle in lots of others but these have become my favorites.

Posted 6 months ago #
  63. pipehunter

pipehunter

Login to Send PM

Three. For a few years, it has been three open at any time:

1. Tashkent;
    2. Frog Morton (original); and
    3. A miscellaneous blend...often something new or something by GL Pease or an old favorite, like Troost Slices.

This will probably change for a while, though. I wasn't online much over the last year and missed the entire McClelland closing up shop news so didn't stock up on Frog Morton. I'll probably run through quite a few blends until I find a permanent replacement. Then I'll be sure to buy plenty. I have 30# of Tashkent set by, so at least one slot should stay consistent.

Posted 6 months ago #
  64. jiminks

JimInks

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Except for not duplicating tobacco blends and pipes during the day, I have no real structure. I do vary genres a lot to keep my interest and my palate refreshed. How much I have open varies greatly. Back when I was steadily reviewing and trading, I'd often have 50-70 open baggies and tins. My record was 158 when I was reviewing Sutliff match blends and comparing them to the originals. That was a bit too much, but it was necessary work, I felt. Right now, I probably have 30 or so that I'm working on.

Posted 6 months ago #
  65. seanv

seanv

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

This week I am enjoying
    Dunhill three year
    C&D haunted bookshop
    Ps bullseye flake from 2014
    I have many more blends jarred due to bulk purchases but I do try to keep my weekly rotation to only a few,

Posted 6 months ago #
  66. User has not uploaded an avatar

foursidedtriangle

Login to Send PM

H&H Chatham Manor
    Mac Baren HH Burley Flake
    PS Bullseye Flake
    Marlin Flake
    C&D Mississippi River

Excellent taste.

Posted 6 months ago #
  67. hakchuma

hakchuma

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have a lot of tobacco. I can't stick to a rotation long enough to say I have a rotation. I do gravitate towards burly though and sometimes I suffer through virgina blends.

"From tempers be it known that we are warm in the fields of battle and cool in the hours of debate"

- Pushmataha, Choctaw Chief
    Posted 6 months ago #
  68. leafsmoker

leafsmoker

Login to Send PM

Right now 10 Meerschuam's.Summer will be probably more.

The walls have ears, the windows have eyes, and the wise man tells no lies.
    You can offer someone a cigar, but you can never offer someone your pipe.
    Posted 6 months ago #
  69. leafsmoker

leafsmoker

Login to Send PM

Oh I thought it was how many pipes in your daily rotation? Tobacco, gosh about 30.

Posted 6 months ago #
  70. snoopy311

snoopy311

Login to Send PM

Far too many.

Posted 6 months ago #

Reply »

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   greeneyes, trouttimes, ron123, cshubhra, lloydcole, clickklick, smipe